U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,669,124 times

Advertisements

So I'm the proud owner of a cheap piano. Now to move the darn thing. It's a full-sized upright with no casters (probably broke off long ago) and some sort of strange "skid plate" on the bottom. It's 5'6"X4'2"X2'8" and weights A LOT! Probably upwards of 400 lbs.

I've gotta get it to a loading dock (30 flat feet), 8 blocks down the street, up a sidewalk (Up a handicap curb ramp--a gentle incline about 6 vertical inches high in total--then 30 more flat feet), over a door frame (extra-wide, thank goodness!) and scooted into place against at wall (4 flat feet).

I've got a pair of dollys, a 15' truck with a liftgate, three guys and one girl (so far) to help move it. Think I need more hands?

Any tips for moving a piano?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:50 PM

774 posts, read 49,719 times
I had an upright brought in and then brought out. Professional piano movers - 2 men. Don't know if that helps.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:32 PM

14,417 posts, read 13,704,456 times
I moved a smaller spinet type with 1 other person. I think 4 is enough for a larger upright. I almost bought an enormous Victorian upright (dripping in carvings and such) once since it would of been cheap and had better sound than most uprights have, but decided against it, I don't play often enough to warrant its size. Nonetheless, I sized it up when I was considering it and figured 3 or 4 people would be needed. But it had the castors on it in good shape, the hard part with yours will be getting it on the dollies and keeping it on them safely. Good luck. It'll probably need tuning after moving it. Mine hasn't been tuned in about 12 years, sounds like an antique fortepiano at times now.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, it takes two people minimum just to get one side off the ground. Luckily, it should be a pretty easy move once it's on the dolly. Do you think I should put two dollys underneath (one on each side) or just stick with one in the middle?

Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,079,566 times
Its alot easier if its all downhill - just need one - the one to push it to get the momentum going then just stand back and watch...

If you have a piano dolly (the square frame with heavy heavy castors) then two can do it... two on one end to tip it up, kick the dolly under it, then position it so its balanced, then its just a matter of rolling the dolly.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM

14,417 posts, read 13,704,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, it takes two people minimum just to get one side off the ground. Luckily, it should be a pretty easy move once it's on the dolly. Do you think I should put two dollys underneath (one on each side) or just stick with one in the middle?
One on each side if it's as big/heavy as the one I almost bought, which it sounds like it is.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

719 posts, read 2,188,304 times
Just make sure to ALWAYS set it down very gently and to pick up both sides at once. Failing to do so can crack the rear baseboard and ruin the sound forever. That's something that's not fixable. Keeping that in mind along with keeping it away from humidity as much as possible and tuning it 3 weeks once it's stationary at your new home should keep your investment, no matter how small, intact.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:18 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,552,811 times
How Many People do I need to Move a Piano?

Ten -- two to move it, and eight to criticize!!

Sorry.... couldn't resist!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,428,027 times
I have never owned one or moved one but I would be tempted to call a service like the local "Two Men and a Truck" type movers. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM

Thanks! Sounds like I have the right number of people. Moving it tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues