Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Thanks, I'll try to always think ahead so that I position myself such that I won't need to reverse. And if I do, I'll do as you suggest and find a wide open area to turn around in.
Thinking ahead is key.
I also highly recommend you find some nearby warehouses that are closed on Sunday - or after hours and practice your turning & backing up. Relax, breath, think clearly.
Stay alert, don't get distracted or drive drowsy. Always check and recheck your equipment. Make sure you have a good spare and you know how to change a tire. Oh, learn how to hook up and unhook your trailer.
You'll be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 PM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
We towed a U-haul trailer with our Altima when we moved to Alaska. I'm a good driver and was confident I'd be able to handle it, but getting started was still a little nerve-wracking. Allow yourself extra time and space for everything. It's been a while, but I know we used the EZ pass while we could; I think we had to take a specific lane, but we didn't pay any tolls in cash.

If you do end up needing to back up - and I agree with trying to avoid it if at all possible - remember that the trailer will head in the *opposite* direction from the rear of the vehicle you're driving. I highly recommend finding a big empty lot to practice in just in case.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
When you get the truck, take the long way home, just driving around to get used to turning, watching the traffic around you, etc. before getting it loaded. As far as the car just watch where you park and on interstates, if you pass someone, remember that car is back there before pulling back in the right lane. I've seen the results of somebody forgetting that before.
Have a safe trip!

Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Watch a few videos that illustrate how to back up and maneuver with a trailer. It will clearly show you the basics.

As others have said, try to park in areas where you will not need to back up. Also, it’s good to practice that after picking up the truck & trailer just to lessen your fear factor.

When we last moved some 500 miles and had to stay at a hotel one night, I was pulling a trailer for my very first time. I was extra careful and it all worked out, even having to back into the driveway of our hew house.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:34 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
I assume by your inquiry that you're on a budget, but if you can swing it, you might want to check into having the car shipped to your destination.

Or maybe drive it yourself before the big move, then rent a car back home.

The peace of mind might be worth the added expense.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:27 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips thus far, everyone. Some general questions.

1. Are toll booths easy enough to fit through if I position the truck well in advance so that I can travel straight and hopefully keep the towed car directly in line?
They're not that hard. Toll Booths you move through slow enough that its not a big deal.
2. With even a short 15ft truck and a towed car, this will be considered a truck for road rules? I.e., I can't get on parkways or any roads that are cars-only? Where are you driving that you can't drive a truck? I wouldn't worry about it for legal reasons, but I would pay close attention to compact areas where it will be hard to maneuver
3. Do I have to stop at truck weigh stations?
No.
4. Can I use the EZPass that I have (for my car) in the truck? Or do I have to wait in the cash lanes and pay cash at each toll?Yes

5. Is there a good site to help plot a route based on truck height? I.e., I need to ensure I don't get on roads with low overpasses.It would be an extremely rare/low overpass that couldn't accommodate a UHaul
I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHf6rklYCg

Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
With a household self move..........No you don't have to stop at the weigh scales. They are for commercial cargo trucks that are paid to move goods.

Toll booths. Slow down and crawl up to the booth, with cash or your electronic pass in hand. watch the mirror clearance at the booth.

Fueling. LOOK and remember what side of the truck the fuel tank opening is. Truck stops are busy places. Fuel up , pay and move on. No body wants you to tie up a pump while you go in and eat. Park in the big truck area, with a clear drive out space.

Check tow ball connections and safety chains at each stop. Cross safety chains in a X pattern.. so that IF the ball becomes detached the chains will prevent the trailer tongue from hitting the road surface.

LIGHTS ON at all times, to make your vehicle more visible to other drivers.

PLAN your route ahead of time. Write down points at which you will change roads/direction of travel. Do not trust GPS, read map ahead of time.

Have fun.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I drove a 20 or was it a 24 foot rental truck 20 years ago. Long story but I had to pick it up in Philadelphia. It was not easy negotiating the city. I would do it again but personally I would not want a trailer hooked on.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:47 AM

171 posts, read 447,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Where are you driving that you can't drive a truck?
The northeast has parkways that are cars-only.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
The northeast has parkways that are cars-only.
Yes, you are not allowed on the Parkways in NY, CT and NJ. Passenger pickup trucks are allowed on the Garden State Parkway but not any with commercial plates.

You will map out your route first and should not have a problem at all. When we moved from NY to Virginia, every place I stopped to eat or sleep I was able to park in an area without having to back up. You just need to look at the places based on their parking areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues