Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Colorado, we loved it. But as more and more Californians left California and moved to Colorado, the "vibe" and culture began to change. My observation is that people who like California tend to want to remake everywhere they go back in to what they just left, ultimately destroying what they moved there for in the first place. Either that or they are miserable all the time comparing where they are to "X is better in California." In contract people who don't like California tend to adjust to other local cultures and "vibes" pretty quickly. Since you liked LA, you should consider moving back that direction; you'll be happier in the long run.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:53 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
No matter where you go, there you are.

Yes, it's a stupid movie maxim, but it contains a considerable amount of truth. I've known people who moved from one part of town to another multiple times, and to different regions and cities, and were always disappointed that everything just sort of stayed the same. Surprise.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,957,396 times
It's not the city it's the life you are living in the city that counts. I was just a couple of months away from moving back to LA after a year in NYC when I met my wife. We spent the next 35 years in NYC working and raising a family and then moved just 50 miles south to the suburbs when we retired.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:55 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,060 times
I've read some of the OP's previous posts and it seems there is a serious grass is greener on the other side theme going on.

I've lived near Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. My least favorite was Houston. However, I didn't abhor it and I met many people who were lifelong Houstonians and loved living there. There were enough things going on to keep any adult entertained and any type of neighborhood you could imagine. People I met from Houston were generally more open and quick to make friends than any other place. The reason I personally didn't prefer it was that it was just too much going on for me.

I spent most of my adult life living near nice, boring Dallas, which is what I preferred. I know lots of people in Austin and have family who lives there, but that's just not for me either. Austinites think they live in some modern-day mecca and can't understand why everyone doesn't move there. Granted, they were rated the best place to live two years in a row.

I've traveled around and lived in many places, including several other non-English speaking countries. One thing I figured out was that there is no best place to live. People are people wherever I go and they all deal with the same issues. I've stayed in dusty third-world countries and realized that people were just as happy (or just as miserable) as the nicest places in the U.S.

Reading some of the OP's reasons for moving to Houston, it seems like it was not that well thought out. Blue skies, Mexican food, and conservatives is probably not enough to keep you in Texas. You also seemed to have moved to San Diego and berated that city in the same way you are doing to Houston. You were berating California in general in many of your posts and extolling the merits of Texas up until you actually moved and spent some time here.

Having been a military brat, in my teenage years, I would always talk about how great the last place I lived in was to everyone. How it was so much better than where I was currently living. How I was going to move to such and such city when I turned 18. I grew up though and realized this was utter nonsense. Time to grow up.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I was just a couple of months away from moving back to LA after a year in NYC when I met my wife. We spent the next 35 years in NYC...
I've heard it can be tough to get out of town.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:01 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
When we lived in Colorado, we loved it. But as more and more Californians left California and moved to Colorado, the "vibe" and culture began to change. My observation is that people who like California tend to want to remake everywhere they go back in to what they just left, ultimately destroying what they moved there for in the first place. Either that or they are miserable all the time comparing where they are to "X is better in California." In contract people who don't like California tend to adjust to other local cultures and "vibes" pretty quickly. Since you liked LA, you should consider moving back that direction; you'll be happier in the long run.
OK--give an example. As a Californian who has lived all the U.S., including CO, I hear this a lot but no one can say what exactly these transplants DO to try to change a place. Never seen a CA person destroy anything, myself.

Have to say, did not like TX conservatism either (while wanting to secede?? Hmmm), but I'm trying to think of something good about my 18 months on the Gulf, there. Oh! The old people were friendly. The BBQ was pretty good.

Don't stagnate, OP. Leave and experience the world while you can, don't "settle". Sure you'll still be "you" wherever you go, but everything else might be better! Never know.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
As others have said, Houston isn't like Austin. It's a lot rougher and less friendly. When I lived in Austin (20 years ago), my connections were from Church and the Church's groups (like their moms' morning out program).

Houston is probably more church-based than Austin.

I love NYC, but there ain't any good BBQ, can't compare to Texas.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
3 years..

Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I'd say about a year. That's how long it took me to realize small town North Carolina (population 5,000) wasn't for this former New Yorker.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Good question. Just how long do you give a place before you get the hel* out of Dodge? Never been sure of that one. Some places you initially love, but after a few years, not so much. The place changes a lot or you do. Some places you don't give a chance and leave too early. Some places you can't take good root in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues