Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 04:55 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times

Advertisements

Yeah that’s why Nevada is the place for me, founded by gangsters and rule breakers, still populated by mostly transplants, libertarian values, it’s paradise as far as I’m concerned. No place is perfect but it’s the most non-traditional place I can find yet plenty of what I consider normal people. I don’t need “weird” people, but I like a city that doesn’t care if you wake up in the afternoon and doesn’t want your tax filings.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:36 AM

119 posts, read 139,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah that’s why Nevada is the place for me, founded by gangsters and rule breakers, still populated by mostly transplants, libertarian values, it’s paradise as far as I’m concerned. No place is perfect but it’s the most non-traditional place I can find yet plenty of what I consider normal people. I don’t need “weird” people, but I like a city that doesn’t care if you wake up in the afternoon and doesn’t want your tax filings.
Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and possibly Idaho and northern Arizona area all enticing to me.

L.A. is too, but because I love the energy and the particularly type of urban/metropolitan experience it offers.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and possibly Idaho and northern Arizona area all enticing to me.

L.A. is too, but because I love the energy and the particularly type of urban/metropolitan experience it offers.
I wasn’t a fan of LA only because the traffic really wears on you and the taxes plus cost of living are insane, but I did love the energy especially being in film! It always felt like I met only other people who were career driven and ambitious and I love that, you feed off that energy and it inspires you to keep working hard. I of course enjoyed the weather a lot as well, but in a condo with no balcony I wasn’t able to enjoy it quite as much as I wish.

Now it’ll be pool, hot tub, fire pit time for the backyard and I can’t wait. I feel like I’ve waited forever to get to that point of having a real outdoors place to enjoy.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:42 PM

14 posts, read 27,353 times
I grew up in Tennessee not far from Nashville/Clarksville and, while I have always loved it and still love it because of the scenery and my family, I left Tennessee because Southern hospitality is something of a farce. Well, I have since lived in Chicago, Sacramento, L.A., Singapore, and Copenhagen, and now live in Houston.

Texas is Southern Culture 2.0, embodying the annoying aspects of the South incredibly strongly while rejecting affiliation with the South at the same time. I disagree with the OP's assessment of downtown Houston (the city seems to finally getting its act together) and Houston's park system (Memorial and Hermann are gorgeous, especially right now), but, overall, I agree with their assessment of the metropolis and state. I can't get over how ugly, boring, or otherwise unremarkable about 70-75% of Texas is topographically.

I don't know that I'm as seemingly, patently unhappy here as the OP, as I'm aware that Texas has plenty of positive attributes that at least make this place tolerable...tolerable most days. But, I'm not sure that's since much considering that I've basically liked every place I've lived until now. I'm eyeing a move to Denver or Salt Lake City in the next ~2-4 years, as I believe that the Intermountain West is the very best of what this country has to offer in terms of places to live (as an aside, with California coming in a respectable second place, and the Pacific Northwest in a respectable third place).

Old 04-30-2019, 04:12 AM

I am sure for someone, the PNW is a great fit. I cannot imagine those people. The weather is some of the worst you could find anywhere. At least snow is pretty, but nope in the PNW it’s just constant rain and clouds and gray skies nearly every day of the year. You get about 10 weeks of beautiful summer weather but the last two years in a row that was ruined completely the last month or more by forest fires so bad that we couldn’t be outside at all. So there was no summer. It’s endless dreariness that ruins your life unless you’re just ok with no sun ever. I’m not. People aren’t meant to live in darkness but in the warmth of the sun. That’s not this place. Denver is at least sunny about 300 days of the year even if it’s too cold for me, I could deal with cold and sunny.

Also the extreme liberal politics of the PNW makes it uninhabitable for me. Combine that with Seattle (1, 2, or 3) and Portland (9) both being in the top 10 worst traffic, yeah it’s not a pleasant part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues