U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:47 PM

7,095 posts, read 6,507,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The only ones raving about Canada's health care system are the ones not using it. When Canadians want prompt treatment for something, they usually come to the US. Lots of Canadians also come to the southern states during the winter to soak up the sunshine. Canada is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to spend my winters there.

Correction. Go to the Canada forum and say that there about health care and every Canadian on the board will be all over you like white on rice correcting you and raving about Canada's health care system. And of course, it is the Canadian's opinions and factual real-life experiences that count, not the opinions of foreigners who can't use Canada's system and don't know anything about it.

When Canadians want prompt treatment for something elective and expensive that is not covered by their Canadian health care insurance, then they might go to other countries or they might get the treatment in Canada. In any case since they will be paying out of pocket for that elective treatment wherever they go, most elective health care seekers will stay at home and get the treatment in Canada anyway because it costs a lot less out of pocket in Canada than what it would cost them out of pocket in USA.

It's true that lots of retired, senior Canadians visit southern USA or other warm countries every year during the winter - approximately half a million Canadians (out of 37 million) are "snowbirds". Just like there are many migratory people in many other countries (including Americans) who do the same thing every winter to escape the cold, or in summer to escape the heat, Canada is not exceptional in that regard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,732,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldRWBEagle View Post
Moving by oneself, or moving a family, are certainly quite different.

I have no idea how to evaluate this, so i'm throwing it out there.

We first have no clue where we're moving, except know it's happening, and probably SE or SW. Depends where employment will be.

We're not Americans. We live in Canada. 2 kids. And the woman has very little social skills.

How screwed am I?
"The woman"? Don't call your wife "the woman" or "the wife," if you don't want people to be offended here - or in Canada, for that matter. Call her "my wife," with the respect it deserves.

Americans are very friendly people by nature. There are always exceptions, but we are culturally, very friendly and helpful people.

If your wife feels more comfortable in a certain culture, you should make sure there is a population she will be comfortable with. I'm going to guess she's a different race than you. Maybe she's Asian, for instance and you're not, or maybe her first language is not English. You should make sure she can find people she will feel comfortable with. In America, even in the boonies, this usually isn't a problem, because we're a very diverse nation.

If you are religious, see if you can find a place with services in her first language - again, if that's an issue.

I can tell you, though, that the American saying - "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy," is true. The woman in a family is the heart of the family, normally. If she's not happy, your home will not be a happy home. So, make sure you keep her happiness in mind when looking for jobs. Look for what she will need to be happy, make sure she knows you are doing so and that her happiness is paramount to your decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues