Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 28,305 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking for moving advice for a lot of different things!

My husband and I, and our toddler, are going to be moving 2,000 miles away, to Nashville, TN. Seems like UPack is the best choice for us. It will take my husband about 4 days to drive our vehicles to our new spot, while I will fly with the toddler and meet him there.

Should we rent a house sight-unseen? I know that with UPack, we have one week until they get our stuff to the new place. I'm worried that if we wait to rent until we get there, that we won't have enough time to rent a place and tell UPack where to go. However, I'm leery of giving someone deposits and money from across the country without having seen the place first. We had originally talked about renting an executive suite for a month, but then we wouldn't have a spot to put our houseful of stuff that is being moved.

Also, any advice on how to figure out the best part of a city to live in without having a job lined up? We are only planning on staying in Nashville about a year, but my husband will need to find a job there during that period. We are planning on, once we move, scouting out towns in TN and other nearby states to find the place we want to live permanently. But we do want to avoid him having a horrible commute until we get completely settled. He is in tech, and the jobs seem spread out across the city and suburbs.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 12:59 PM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
I doubt anyone reputable will allow you to rent a house without a local job. Same for most apartments but maybe you'll have better luck there.

Best option is to have your husband go ahead of you, rent a room through a house or room-sharing website, and search for and land a job first. Might need to be with a temp agency at first. Then after that secure a place to rent and you and your child move out.

Also, have a lot of money saved up for this endeavor.
A. Lot. Of. Money.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Best option is to have your husband go ahead of you, rent a room through a house or room-sharing website, and search for and land a job first.
Read and take this to heart, OP. You do not want to be homeless with a toddler. Stay put until everything is secure.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 28,305 times
We have money saved up to live on for at least six months, and I have part-time work which I do from home. So I would hope someone would rent to us since technically we could pay them for six months up-front, or show them bank statements showing we had the money. We don't want to spend through that money though, since it's for our house and retirement.

That's an interesting idea - thank you. That would mean he'd have to quit his job and somehow cover our house payment here while I stayed here and tried to sell it on my own. Something to consider though!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl821 View Post

That's an interesting idea - thank you. That would mean he'd have to quit his job and somehow cover our house payment here while I stayed here and tried to sell it on my own. Something to consider though!
That's what that six months of savings would be for. Moving is extremely expensive and more so if a job is not secured first .

Old 03-07-2019, 12:36 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Hi - I'm looking for moving advice for a lot of different things!

My husband and I, and our toddler, are going to be moving 2,000 miles away, to Nashville, TN. Seems like UPack is the best choice for us. It will take my husband about 4 days to drive our vehicles to our new spot, while I will fly with the toddler and meet him there.

Should we rent a house sight-unseen? I know that with UPack, we have one week until they get our stuff to the new place. I'm worried that if we wait to rent until we get there, that we won't have enough time to rent a place and tell UPack where to go. However, I'm leery of giving someone deposits and money from across the country without having seen the place first. We had originally talked about renting an executive suite for a month, but then we wouldn't have a spot to put our houseful of stuff that is being moved.

Also, any advice on how to figure out the best part of a city to live in without having a job lined up? We are only planning on staying in Nashville about a year, but my husband will need to find a job there during that period. We are planning on, once we move, scouting out towns in TN and other nearby states to find the place we want to live permanently. But we do want to avoid him having a horrible commute until we get completely settled. He is in tech, and the jobs seem spread out across the city and suburbs.

Thanks in advance!
A few things to cpmsoder:

1. Don't move without a job.
2. Don't move without a job.
3. Don't move without a job.

Once you get a job then worry about the rest of these things in your post and go looking for a place to live. Not once have I met a landlord willing to rent without proof of employment or income.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:59 AM

23,285 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
So I would hope someone would rent to us since technically we could pay them for six months up-front, or show them bank statements showing we had the money. We don't want to spend through that money though, since it's for our house and retirement.

Frankly I don't see how this move makes any sense at this point. You don't even have likely prospects for full time employment in the new location, no way to show stable income or local employer in order to rent a place, you already have a mortgage. Never mind a toddler to consider. "Technically" have money to pay rent for 6 months up front? All a bank statement will show is that you have money at that moment...it doesn't guarantee you'll have that money a month later, two months later. A LL will want to see ability to pay your rent for the length of your lease.

Why MUST you move now? Because you just don't want to wait? It is ten times smarter to do the job research from your present location and once the new job gets lined up (who knows how long that will take), put your house on the market, establish income history with a landlord, find a rental, THEN move! Even then you'll still have to face marketing and selling your house remotely. Not always easy and no way to predict how long you'll be paying BOTH rent (plus utilities) AND a mortgage (plus utilities, property tax and insurance). Too many things here can go very wrong OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-07-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 06:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
My husband and I, and our toddler, are going to be moving 2,000 miles away, to Nashville, TN.
Should we rent a house sight-unseen?
No. With a family, cars, and a house full of stuff you need to make an advance trip.
Which also assumes you have a job waiting.

Quote:
...any advice on how to figure out the best part of a city to live in without having a job lined up?
Uh oh.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:35 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
So neither of you have a job in Nashville and a house to sell first, right?

You have a part-time job you can do from home and enough savings for 6 months of living expenses.

1) Husband needs to start looking for a tech job in Nashville right now.

2) Get the house spiffied up and sold. Spring is a great time to sell a house in most markets.

UPack is a great way to move and the best part is that for a reasonable charge, they will hold your stuff in storage until you find a place to live. But first,

3) Go through your belongings and only keep those things that you dearly love and are willing to pay hundreds/thousands of dollars to ship and store. Check out Nashville Craigslist and FaceBook marketplace. I did a quick check and found over 600 sofas, ...

And to answer your original question, there are some 300 AirBnB and VRBO homes, some have monthly rates.

When you are ready to move, reserve one of these places, negotiate a monthly rate, and settle in there until you know which end is up.

Good luck on your next adventure!

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-07-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
I can't recommend strongly enough renting a furnished place via AirBnB, or VRBO or ?.

This will give you a month or so for husband to get settled in a job, figure out the neighborhoods, find a place to rent, ...

These places are great. Beds, sofas, pots and pans, dishes, ...

The only easier way is to borrow/buy an RV/trailer and stay in an RV park until you figure out what's what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues