Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM

38 posts, read 424,447 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice on moving. I am planning on getting a Penski truck. Most likely a 26 foot. I am also going to be towing a car behind it.

I guess the questions I have is:

Is it easier to go with the tow dolly or the pull behind trailer? (I know the dolly is cheaper)

I can get a 22 foot truck for the same price and fit all my stuff in it. Should I go for that since I am pulling the car behind the truck?

Has anyone had this experience before and have any general advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 PM

521 posts, read 4,412,358 times
You didn't say where you're moving from or to, the size and weight of your household goods, the type and profile of your car, or when you're planning to take your trip.

You want to vehicle that he enough power and stability when loaded to make the trip as safely as possible.

The tail will be waggin' the dog if you try to use a half-loaded, 22' gas rental towing an 18'-long auto on a dolly up and down a snow covered hill with a 13% grade

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
For a truck of that size, a dolly might be better. The truck by itself will require more room for turning and changing lanes.

I towed my car from Northern VA to IL using a 12'-ish tow trailer ("auto transport") behind a mostly loaded 10' U-Haul truck, with some stuff in my car as well. It worked quite well, just had to be more mindful and careful when changing lanes and turning.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
I've moved many times and I always rent a trailer to hitch on the back of the Penske. Drive your car on it, secure it and drive safely. You'll be fine.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM

38 posts, read 424,447 times
The vehicle I will be towing is a Honda Civic sized car. The trip is cross country for FL to NV. Mostly flat roads until you get to West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

If I go with the 22 foot truck, It will be mostly full, not sure of exact weight. If I go with the 26 foot, it would obviously have the same amount of stuff, but probably just not packed as tight.

I'd rather go with the pull behind trailer for the car, but I'm on a VERY tight budget and the towing dolly is cheaper.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
I would go with the trailer....even on a budget.

This way your tires are off the ground and you have one pivot point instead of two...its easier if you have to back up.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
We used the towing dolly moving from New Mexico to Alaska over the AlCan hwy with a small datsun pick-up, no problems what so ever.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:21 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I haven't seen tow dollies for a few decades up here. I believe they're illegal, so I'd check ALL the states you're about to go through. You'll be nailed as you pass the weigh stations.

I'd stick with a trailer with electric brakes for safety reasons. Being on a budget is fine but take a look at the Youtube videos and see what could happen!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
thedwightguy:

Sorry, but tow dollies are legal, in both Canada and the USA. Litteraly thousands of motor home and RV owners use them to tow their `dinghy ` which is a small car to run around in when the big unit is parked at a campground. Perfectly legal, and in Canada, they don`t even need a plate on the dolly.

I`ve used them to move used cars for dealers, between cities, and to take cars to the auction.

To the OP, use a trailer, it`s easier to load and back up, than a dolly is. Make SURE that the rear lights and brake lights on the trailer WORK properly, every time that you are going back on the road, after a stop, for food or fuel. Those temporary wiring hookups are notorious for not working after a few bumps or turns. Cross the safety chains in a X shape, UNDER the trailer A frame, in case the hitch comes apart....it will keep the frame from digging into the pavement, in the event of a problem with the connection. Keep your speed down, and make wider turns than normal, to account for the trailer being back there.

Have fun.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 96,404 times
Hi, I'm moving to MD from FL in Aug for school (personal). My dad advised me not to drive my 2006 toyota corolla up north. Instead we're trying to figure out the cheapest way to transport my car. I want to find like a truck that will tow my car. And the truck will hold my furniture, etc. U-Haul and other companies are pretty expensive, and I really don't have much to bring with me, so renting a u-haul can be needless. Would u know of any car rental companies that would allow me to hook up my car to the back of their "pickup" truck? Better yet, would u know of a better way to transport by dinghy without driving it the 15+ hrs? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues