Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 8,337 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Hope all is well!

So a little about myself! I am 22, living with my parents in lovely, old Michigan. I am a clean, independent individual, and a lover of luxury stuff.

I am working my Entry level job making around $50,000, I did not graduate college but do have 5+ years of Professional
Experience in my field of IT work.
I am planning a move to either Silicon Valley, California or West Palm Beach, Florida. I am tired of the cold winters and
never have been more excited to live independently on my own terms.

As we are mostly aware before moving finances need to be forecasted for the safety of the actual numbers that come about
our spending. When it comes to finances, I am aware to the dot as to what things I am presently paying for, future costs of living
for my move and as well as ensuring that I am investing at least $1000 into my portfolio a month. In other words I’ll have to aim for a salary of $65,000-$100,000 which I am qualified to do, so it is a matter of waiting for the right opportunity to show up.

I prepared an Excel sheet for the last couple of months of all my expenses that I will have when moving and down-payments to transition as easy as possible.

The budget is about $16000.

This will account for the apartment, its essentials, car insurance, auto-loan payments, groceries, phone/internet bill, taxes, APR, etc.
This should last me a couple of months as I am paying 3 months down in advance for the apartment.
I also prepared an emergency fund of $1500-$2000 as well as credit cards if drastically needed.
(Assuming all expenses on the requirement list is WORST case scenario otherwise I would need only 14-15K)

The part I would like to inquire on is HOW do you actually move out of state with nothing but 2 luggage bags and $16K? Would I be moving into an empty apartment the first day and have no furniture until it is delivered from Amazon or Ikea? Do I get the car first? Should I secure a job before even thinking about moving?

I guess when then the time comes what would be the FIRST steps to take?

Could you guys possibly recommend a Step-by-Step as to what needs to be done first so I can transition as easy as possible, my biggest thing I want to avoid is moving back because I had no choice besides to sleep on a street haha.

Last edited by MuminAbdulla; 03-13-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Get the job, first! The right company may pay your relocation expenses or give you a relocation package.

HR at the new company can also help you find housing, depending on the company.

Start there and then come back if you need help with other aspects of moving.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuminAbdulla View Post
I am 22... making around $50,000
I am planning a move to either Silicon Valley, California or West Palm Beach, Florida.
HOW (at 22 with no degree) do you actually move out of state with nothing but 2 luggage bags and $16K?
You don't.

Quote:
Could you guys possibly recommend a Step-by-Step as to what needs to be done...
Use some of those wicked IT skills to find a few of the THOUSANDS of threads on the topic.

In short though... plan to EARN whatever your transition period living expenses might add up to - as you go.
If/When you get the Big Cool job that affords the lifestyle you really want ... THEN move into that. Not before.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:06 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
Quote:

So a little about myself! I am 22, living with my parents in lovely, old Michigan. I am a clean, independent individual, and a lover of luxury stuff.

So, you plan on buying a car - sounds like you use your parent's car and get a discount on insurance because you are under their insurance. So, you will end up buying a fancy car with a 7 year loan and in a year you will be trying to figure out how you can keep up with the payments. Or, maybe you are in an accident and you are upside down on the loan.

So, perhaps you do get a job and move to a new area, with a new car, lease an unfurnished apartment and fill it with furniture. What happens if you hate the job and want to move in 6 months or they decide you are not a good fit for the job and they let you go? Now you have no way to make those car payments, expensive to break the lease and what do you do with all the furniture you just bought?

If you do get offered a job, consider doing a short term lease of a furnished condo for at least 6 months so you have time to decide if you like the job and area and if they are happy with your work. If you can't pay cash for a vehicle, buy a used vehicle and keep the loan amount and length of loan as short as possible. The key here is to keep your expenses as low as possible for the first year or two once you are out on your own.

I wonder since you are still living at home if you have a clue as to how much it really costs for food, utilities such as water, electric, sewer and heat for an apartment? Even taking your clothes every week to the Laundromat is expensive! Will you also have to pay for parking? There are so many costs of moving to a place of your own - you can't begin to imagine. You need to prepare for things to be much more expensive than you imagined. Embrace being frugal for the first year or two you are out on your own. Thrift shops and second hand furniture from friends and family, an old but reliable vehicle is the way to successfully transition from living at home to your own place without going broke. Luxury stuff will come in time...

Old 03-13-2019, 03:52 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I think if I was actually going to try something like this, I'd buy my car while still with my parents. I'd bet the car prices and financing may be better where you are than in California or Florida.

Could I offer a suggestion? Instead of trying to move straight to California or Florida, why not move in steps? Find a job some place like Indianapolis, Lousville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas..somewhere away from the folks, but get a job that you could add to your resume before getting the big job? Work there a year or two and add that good work record to the resume.

And good luck!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:57 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Definitely get the job first. But, I have to say, Silicon Valley? Extremely competitive and unbelievably expensive. I am not sure if you're being very realistic about this plan.

Have you searched and posted on the C-D CA and FL boards? People who live in the areas you're targeting should be able to give you a better lowdown on housing costs and how easy or hard it is to find a good job in these places.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Get the job, first! The right company may pay your relocation expenses or give you a relocation package.

HR at the new company can also help you find housing, depending on the company.

Start there and then come back if you need help with other aspects of moving.
Interesting thought! I thought about securing the job first, though I heard it is a little more difficult to land a job if the place of future occupation sees that I am not in the local area is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You don't.

Use some of those wicked IT skills to find a few of the THOUSANDS of threads on the topic.

In short though... plan to EARN whatever your transition period living expenses might add up to - as you go.
If/When you get the Big Cool job that affords the lifestyle you really want ... THEN move into that. Not before.
That is what the plan is, I am using this 8 month period to grow in value with the job market as much as possible to earn what I need to earn to live how I would like to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
So, you plan on buying a car - sounds like you use your parent's car and get a discount on insurance because you are under their insurance. So, you will end up buying a fancy car with a 7 year loan and in a year you will be trying to figure out how you can keep up with the payments. Or, maybe you are in an accident and you are upside down on the loan.

So, perhaps you do get a job and move to a new area, with a new car, lease an unfurnished apartment and fill it with furniture. What happens if you hate the job and want to move in 6 months or they decide you are not a good fit for the job and they let you go? Now you have no way to make those car payments, expensive to break the lease and what do you do with all the furniture you just bought?

If you do get offered a job, consider doing a short term lease of a furnished condo for at least 6 months so you have time to decide if you like the job and area and if they are happy with your work. If you can't pay cash for a vehicle, buy a used vehicle and keep the loan amount and length of loan as short as possible. The key here is to keep your expenses as low as possible for the first year or two once you are out on your own.

I wonder since you are still living at home if you have a clue as to how much it really costs for food, utilities such as water, electric, sewer and heat for an apartment? Even taking your clothes every week to the Laundromat is expensive! Will you also have to pay for parking? There are so many costs of moving to a place of your own - you can't begin to imagine. You need to prepare for things to be much more expensive than you imagined. Embrace being frugal for the first year or two you are out on your own. Thrift shops and second hand furniture from friends and family, an old but reliable vehicle is the way to successfully transition from living at home to your own place without going broke. Luxury stuff will come in time...

Mary, I do not use my parents car nor am I under their insurance, I am just heavily invested in the markets and earn supplemental income that way. I would never be naive enough to get a 7 year auto loan, nor am I interested in all that excessive APR that comes with it each year. I had prepared 20-22% down-payment on a car for around $16-18K so I'd be paying down around 4K then financing the last 12K.

Parking is something I usually get reimbursed for by employement, however, if not, I do have that in my spreadsheet to account for if needed. And again, I did ensure that all the those price points and expenses were estimated in worst case scenarios that way I am prepared for it in the event something bad happens.

As for groceries and utilities I live with my family of 5, and I am responsible for these bills so I am aware of how much each costs for food and utilities as I pay for them on a monthly basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I think if I was actually going to try something like this, I'd buy my car while still with my parents. I'd bet the car prices and financing may be better where you are than in California or Florida.

Could I offer a suggestion? Instead of trying to move straight to California or Florida, why not move in steps? Find a job some place like Indianapolis, Lousville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Dallas..somewhere away from the folks, but get a job that you could add to your resume before getting the big job? Work there a year or two and add that good work record to the resume.

And good luck!
I had a list of cities that I had planned for moving. Though when I narrowed it down between 2 states only Florida & California were most appealing to me and my interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Definitely get the job first. But, I have to say, Silicon Valley? Extremely competitive and unbelievably expensive. I am not sure if you're being very realistic about this plan.

Have you searched and posted on the C-D CA and FL boards? People who live in the areas you're targeting should be able to give you a better lowdown on housing costs and how easy or hard it is to find a good job in these places.

Working with IT the options for jobs are countless, especially with the qualifications and skills that I offer I am sure that it will be in fact EASY to find a job but rather a little more challenging finding one that will pay me the salary I need for all my expenses.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:

I am working my Entry level job making around $50,000, I did not graduate college but do have 5+ years of Professional
Experience in my field of IT work.
I am planning a move to either Silicon Valley, California or West Palm Beach, Florida. I am tired of the cold winters and
never have been more excited to live independently on my own terms.

As we are mostly aware before moving finances need to be forecasted for the safety of the actual numbers that come about
our spending. When it comes to finances, I am aware to the dot as to what things I am presently paying for, future costs of living
for my move and as well as ensuring that I am investing at least $1000 into my portfolio a month. In other words I’ll have to aim for a salary of $65,000-$100,000 which I am qualified to do, so it is a matter of waiting for the right opportunity to show up.

I prepared an Excel sheet for the last couple of months of all my expenses that I will have when moving and down-payments to transition as easy as possible.

The budget is about $16000.

This will account for the apartment, its essentials, car insurance, auto-loan payments, groceries, phone/internet bill, taxes, APR, etc.
This should last me a couple of months as I am paying 3 months down in advance for the apartment.
I also prepared an emergency fund of $1500-$2000 as well as credit cards if drastically needed.
(Assuming all expenses on the requirement list is WORST case scenario otherwise I would need only 14-15K)

The part I would like to inquire on is HOW do you actually move out of state with nothing but 2 luggage bags and $16K? Would I be moving into an empty apartment the first day and have no furniture until it is delivered from Amazon or Ikea? Do I get the car first? Should I secure a job before even thinking about moving?

I guess when then the time comes what would be the FIRST steps to take?

Could you guys possibly recommend a Step-by-Step as to what needs to be done first so I can transition as easy as possible, my biggest thing I want to avoid is moving back because I had no choice besides to sleep on a street haha.
22 and you have five years of experience?

$16k is not going to last you very long. I moved from Wyoming to North Dakota and it cost me close to $5k when it was all said and done. That was renting a Uhaul, getting a hitch installed, etc. Cost of living in Silicon Valley is some of the highest in the country. Getting a deposit and any other fees is not going to be cheap. No car? That's going to cost a bit of money as well. That $16k is going to evaporate faster than you think.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
22 and you have five years of experience?

$16k is not going to last you very long. I moved from Wyoming to North Dakota and it cost me close to $5k when it was all said and done. That was renting a Uhaul, getting a hitch installed, etc. Cost of living in Silicon Valley is some of the highest in the country. Getting a deposit and any other fees is not going to be cheap. No car? That's going to cost a bit of money as well. That $16k is going to evaporate faster than you think.
Yes, I started working in IT Professionally at 17 . Silicon Valley is expensive yes, but the average salary for what I do here in MI is about $70-100K in Silicon Valley so it's not a matter of securing a job.

I do not have any furniture or anything of that sort coming with me just 2 luggage bags of clothes.

I have prepared in that 16K budget about 3 months of living expenses - Used Car, Apartment, Groceries, Utilities, Misc. Bills etc. in advance while I was planning to find a job during that 3 Month Period.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:33 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Yes, I started working in IT Professionally at 17 . Silicon Valley is expensive yes, but the average salary for what I do here in MI is about $70-100K in Silicon Valley so it's not a matter of securing a job.

I do not have any furniture or anything of that sort coming with me just 2 luggage bags of clothes.

I have prepared in that 16K budget about 3 months of living expenses - Used Car, Apartment, Groceries, Utilities, Misc. Bills etc. in advance while I was planning to find a job during that 3 Month Period.
I thought you didn't have a car. What do you mean it's not a matter of securing a job? That doesn't make sense.

Be aware that the money you budget on paper is not what you may have in real life. There are always expenses coming up you didn't budget for. That $16k is not going to last you as long as you think it will. You better have a damn good job waiting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues