U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 AM

476 posts, read 394,555 times

Advertisements

Yes. If it can be replaced, throw it away.

People will say in horrified tones, "Oh, you must bring that to a Goodwill/women's shelter/animal shelter! Donate, donate, donate!"

but when you factor in the time to wrap glass and china so they don't break, load up the car/pickup multiple times, travel around to various charity locations (assuming you have them near you - not every one does), you are spending half your moving prep time trying to donate stuff that the charities themselves may just discard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
When in doubt, throw it out

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 06:09 AM

5,411 posts, read 5,834,561 times
We’re already at two entire SUV loads to Goodwill and a third pile is building... and we don’t move for 6 months! Ha ha. It’s a bit annoying, yeah. But not like our tiny trash could accommodate literally anything.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 PM

9,661 posts, read 15,793,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
We’re already at two entire SUV loads to Goodwill and a third pile is building... and we don’t move for 6 months! Ha ha. It’s a bit annoying, yeah. But not like our tiny trash could accommodate literally anything.
Do you have heavy trash pick up?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,022,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post

People will say in horrified tones, "Oh, you must bring that to a Goodwill/women's shelter/animal shelter! Donate, donate, donate!"

but when you factor in the time to wrap glass and china so they don't break, load up the car/pickup multiple times, travel around to various charity locations (assuming you have them near you - not every one does), you are spending half your moving prep time trying to donate stuff that the charities themselves may just discard.
In some places, transfer stations have an area where you can drop off used items to a little store-like facility. A friend of mine took me to hers when I was packing and I was able to donate a lot of china, glasses, some lamps, etc. without having to pack a thing. Her place is like a sort of free store right at the dump. They don't take furniture at this place, however.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Do you have heavy trash pick up?
Perhaps for a large extra fee, but I’ve never asked. Easier to just dump it all at Goodwill and let them deal with it. I love how you see these articles about “oh don’t give them things they can’t use, they’ll have to pay to haul it.” Umm.. the words you’re looking for are “you’re welcome.” People are giving you free stuff, I never feel bad if they can’t sell it all. That’s part of the deal, you get some good things and some rubbish. It’s free! Profit margin is 100% minus labor lol

Old 03-29-2019, 02:09 PM

11,640 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post

Um.

If you have THAT much stuff that you've got to drive it all over and do multiple loads, you are not likely to simply throw it away easily if you don't have access to a dumpster. And not everyone has easy access to a dumpster.

My ex would have been a hoarder if I'd let him, so I'd wait until he was away on military training and go through everything to get rid of the trash. It had to be done. Before our last military move (and they limit your weight allowance on those moves, so you've really got to manage your stuff) I took probably 8-10 trips to the "transfer station"...which is not quite a dump, but similar concept I guess.

They would weigh the vehicle coming in, and empty going out, and charge on poundage, and they had a sort facility so they'd go through everything you dropped off to take out recyclable materials.

I also donated to Goodwill, anything I thought they could possibly sell. And I had to get rid of our couches...we had La-Z-Boy couches with the recliners in them and they weighed a TON. Now I dream of having a nice sectional or maybe a rattan set...something really easy to move. I'd love to only have relatively lightweight furnishings or stuff that can be disassembled at least.

Anyhow, that was up in Washington State. And yet I remember living in more rural and more southern places, or being with family who did...some of these folks still burn trash. I lived in an apartment complex with a dumpster, that changes the game too. And when I was a kid in Virginia, people would drive out to the middle of nowhere and offload old tires and appliances just dumping them in the woods. That seems completely insane to me now. I hope that isn't still going on.

So yeah, it might be easier to just go to Goodwill for some of us.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:27 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,801,880 times
Quote:
I had the same thought, I’m glad someone else said it. I left 7-8 years ago and would never return.

Another thing that came to mind I thought I’d mention because I said it in another thread, it may sound stupid but honestly I loved it and just did this myself... if you have some items that may have sentimental value, do you have to keep the item itself or could you take a bunch of pictures of it and store those pictures digitally? That’s what I did with a bunch of things where the item was just clogging up space and the item only reminded me of something from my childhood or with my family, but it remained in a box or cabinet somewhere anyway. I never saw it. Now I made a “Keepsake” folder and I put these photos in there, I backed up the folder to my RAID (redundant external hard drive unit) so now I have these memories but with none of the wasted space. It may sound stupid to some people, but I adopted this idea when I heard it and I love it!
I am NOT saying that what you did is incorrect FOR YOU, no matter how harsh my response may come over as.

If looking at pictures of your grandfathers war medals, your high school diploma, or the invitation to your parents wedding makes you feel the same way as actual holding those items in your hand, how much could they have meant to you in the first place? Are we really that short of space?

Sure, while we are at it how about we photograph all the great works of art, historical artifacts, and architectural wonders so we can recycle the materials to make new widgets. Maybe close down the zoos and animal preserves since we can just look at pictures and films of exotic animals.

Actual artifacts physically connect us with the past, both our past and long past, and they may mean something to others long after our iCloud accounts and external hard drives have been wiped.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:02 AM

It depends on what you’re talking about, honestly. I kept my diplomas, they just seem too valuable personally to discard. I love physical objects - I’m a collector (massive sports memorabilia collection, much larger Star Wars collection) - but I kept this LEGO creation I had made as a kid and it took me about 19 hours, just my own thing I made not a kit, and I hated the idea of just taking it to Goodwill. I realized though that I hadn’t looked at it in a decade so for me pictures of it are way more accessible and “good enough.” I gave it to my fiancé’s 8-year-old brother.

In the case of other stuff, no it’s not superior to have my old yearbooks, having scans or pictures of just the few pictures or pages I care about is better. In fact somehow my photos look better than the tiny source photos because the pictures blow up larger on computer.

There are all sorts of other things that make me smile when I see photos of them and they recall memories, which in these cases it’s the MEMORY that holds value to me not the objects themselves. Yet I wouldn’t ever think of, for instance, tossing my trophies that represent big career moments. They are special and it’s not just the memory for me, it’s the physical display of excellence.

In other words, it depends on what specifically we’re talking about.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:07 AM

10,381 posts, read 5,867,749 times
Although our furniture is hardly high end it would take a lot to justify just selling it all and buying all new stuff. What a hassle to sell your used furniture, even donating takes time and effort. It took us a month to pick out our couch, why would I want to go through all of that again not to mention buying new dishes, pots/pans etc. I'd rather just pack and keep what we will need and get rid of the rest.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:03 AM

3,195 posts, read 1,801,880 times
Quote:
It depends on what you’re talking about, honestly. I kept my diplomas, they just seem too valuable personally to discard. I love physical objects - I’m a collector (massive sports memorabilia collection, much larger Star Wars collection) - but I kept this LEGO creation I had made as a kid and it took me about 19 hours, just my own thing I made not a kit, and I hated the idea of just taking it to Goodwill. I realized though that I hadn’t looked at it in a decade so for me pictures of it are way more accessible and “good enough.” I gave it to my fiancé’s 8-year-old brother.

In the case of other stuff, no it’s not superior to have my old yearbooks, having scans or pictures of just the few pictures or pages I care about is better. In fact somehow my photos look better than the tiny source photos because the pictures blow up larger on computer.

There are all sorts of other things that make me smile when I see photos of them and they recall memories, which in these cases it’s the MEMORY that holds value to me not the objects themselves. Yet I wouldn’t ever think of, for instance, tossing my trophies that represent big career moments. They are special and it’s not just the memory for me, it’s the physical display of excellence.

In other words, it depends on what specifically we’re talking about.
Finally someone who doesn’t throw out the baby with the bath water. Have a great weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or