U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 AM

329 posts, read 199,116 times

Advertisements

Go for it! It might not be as long or as bad as you anticipate. I made a similiar move. My commute is actually less than when I lived in the city! My commute was easily 45 minutes/16 miles due to traffic. Such drudgery day in and day out surrounded my cars and freeways. Now I have a 15 minute/10 mile commute with very little traffic, beautiful scenery that I actually notice, and a less hurried pace.

Last edited by Tams here; 03-27-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM

609 posts, read 237,575 times
Two posters have made points I would agree with. Having commuted an hour each way, that then became an hour and a half each way, with increasing traffic over the years....I agree with the comment "it's fine until it's not". I think it tends to wear you down over time. I was not even driving...well, driving to the park and ride, then taking bus/train. But the earlier wake up time and the cramming in of everything into a couple of hours at night gets old.

The other comment was the one about development eventually finding its way out to your "country" area. This happened in spades in the area where I lived. Started out semi-rural, ended up being overdeveloped to the max. I imagine folks wanted a nice "rural" setting, not realizing all the developments, traffic, people would end up making it very "un-rural'! I couldn't wait to get out when I retired!

That said, it does sound like you really want to live in the country...only you can decide if the trade-offs are worth it.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM

13,824 posts, read 25,161,284 times
This is the first time in my life I have lived in an urban area and I love it. I will never go back to the inconvenience of rural living.

Before I lived here I had a 100mi per day commute and with Winter weather it often took 3 hours. I had a triple driveway to shovel and an acre to rake and mow. It was a beautiful location. I was waterfront on a river. But most of my time was spent driving, mowing, raking, and shoveling. I am glad I escaped!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:42 PM

6,634 posts, read 2,701,691 times
I've done it, but I made a point of choosing my location so I could use mass transit. The commute may have been longer, but at least I wasn't doing the driving; not arriving at work frustrated and stressed out, got a mileage break on my insurance, put less wear and tear on the car, and lowered the risk of an accident. I ended up with about an hour on each end of the day when I could eat, nap, read, think, and even choose to chat with the other regulars I'd see on the bus every day (met a few pretty interesting people). Mass transit also meant I wasn't contributing yet another car to that traffic, burning a little less fossil fuel, and reducing a bit of air pollution at the same time. I happened to have a co-worker who made the same commute I did but she refused to give up a speck of control by using a scheduled bus and always complained about all the things I managed to miss. Her loss IMHO.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Status: "Last night I saw Lester Maddox on a TV show" (set 20 days ago)

21,253 posts, read 21,693,050 times
did that type of commute for 25 years and never regretted the drive in. Most of the traffic I had to deal with was within 10 miles of my work downtown so would have had to deal with it had I been 10 miles away or 50, those 40 miles I had to drive took less time than the 10.

The first day you spend without the city clamor will prove to you that you made the right choice.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM

560 posts, read 131,944 times
I've almost always lived in a rural area with the exception of a few years right out of high school. My current commute is 25 minutes one way but it's been as much as an hour. The hour got old pretty fast but the 25 minutes if perfectly doable to me. I do have to plan ahead since it's too far to just run to the store for milk or go grab a burger but for me the peace and quiet is worth that. At some point after retirement it will probably be the upkeep of a rural setting that drives me into an apartment or condo.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM

10,408 posts, read 15,341,880 times
OP, this is what i do. I commute 1 plus hr one way. I live out in farmland. Horse properties. It is most rewarding starting early spring all the way through late fall. I got used to commute, after-all, it's my time in my "spaceship". I learned not to be bothered by traffic and idiots on the road. You can listen to spiritual books or even meditate. Time does not have to be wasted.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:26 PM

8,998 posts, read 8,167,805 times
When I lived in Myrtle Beach, my commute was a minimum 45 minutes and up to two hours (bike week, July 4th, Easter, etc) each way.

I lived on the beach in Garden City Beach and commuted to North Myrtle Beach.

I did this commute for almost ten years.

To this day, I refuse to drive anwhere.

Was it worth it? Yes, I lived on the beach. Would I do it again? No.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 PM

732 posts, read 279,882 times
It is fun when you are young. As time goes by and the commute challanges grow, not so fun. Closer in home/apt looks like it costs more but putting a real value in the human & economic cost to commute longer distances (dont use IRS calculation, they are way understated values) , wear & tear on you, your car, your personal time may not be such a deal. You could go for it but keep your options open to reverse your plans as things change over time. Good luck!

Last edited by FireStation46; 03-27-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

3,922 posts, read 7,469,535 times
Sometimes you can find something that's in the city, but isn't really city.

The first home I bought was in a densely populated city/suburb of a major metropolitan area. However, I only considered townhomes in two specific developments. The one I bought was overlooking county-owned land and a water conservation park. Even though I was technically in a densely populated city, I had no homes (or possibility of homes) behind my house, and had a view of greater than 180 degrees. Every day after work I went over to the water conservation park to walk around the lake and look at birds.

If a place like that had not been available, I would have continued to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or