U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 534 times

Advertisements

I live in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area and am setting up to relocate to Boston, MA to be closer to extended family. One of the things I'm trying to tackle is setting up how to ship my car. Prices seem pretty high and kind of all over the board and I have no sense of what it should cost. Anyone have a sense of what I should expect to pay for shipping? Any recommendations for quality shippers?

I did recently get a flyer in the mail about CarMax shipping, which led me to this link: https://www.carmax.com/customer-shipping

I thought they only sold cars? Anyone shipped with them and tried it out before?

Additionally, a friend of mine mentioned the Amtrak auto train, but that looks like I need to get it up to Orlando and only takes it to DC. So though more affordable, not exactly what's going to solve my issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 07:00 AM

329 posts, read 200,231 times
I had my car shipped recently from TX to PA. Cost was a little over $1000. This seemed to be the going rate after checking a few other places. It took about six days from pickup to delivery door to door. Very pleased with the company we chose.

https://www.shipacardirect.com/

Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 AM

7,569 posts, read 2,206,401 times
these folks will give you a quote over the phone.

https://www.montway.com/vehicle-relocation-services

Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 534 times
Cool, I'll reach out to those folks. I assume since you are recommending shipacardirect and montway that experiences have been good?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosliving2014 View Post
I'm trying to tackle is setting up how to ship my car.
Look locally for the physical location of one of the networked auto transport companies.
Visit. Make the best deal you can with them and it'll be close to what any others charge.
As to the actual carriers... they all work together.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:18 AM

5,149 posts, read 2,953,575 times
Look them up under "driveaway service".

Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM

7,583 posts, read 11,411,892 times
https://www.shipcar.com/orders/get-a-free-quote/

Get a quote from these people. Friends have used them and were happy. They are located in Canton, Ma.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 AM

10,762 posts, read 15,029,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosliving2014 View Post
I live in the Ft Lauderdale, FL area and am setting up to relocate to Boston, MA to be closer to extended family. One of the things I'm trying to tackle is setting up how to ship my car. Prices seem pretty high and kind of all over the board and I have no sense of what it should cost. Anyone have a sense of what I should expect to pay for shipping? Any recommendations for quality shippers?

I did recently get a flyer in the mail about CarMax shipping, which led me to this link: https://www.carmax.com/customer-shipping

I thought they only sold cars? Anyone shipped with them and tried it out before?

Additionally, a friend of mine mentioned the Amtrak auto train, but that looks like I need to get it up to Orlando and only takes it to DC. So though more affordable, not exactly what's going to solve my issue.
In the past, I have shipped my car from FL to NC $650, and FL to RI $800 via Northeast Auto Transport, I don't have the # sorry. Awesome service, door to door. (Make sure you have them put your car on top. Avoid the road debris that way.) You may also want to find someone you know to drive it up personally, and give them a return flight ticket. I've done that too rather than put it on a transport.

Old Today, 04:36 PM

4 posts
montway and shipacardirect are both brokers. That means they will farm out the actual transport to a honest to goodness trucking company. Carmax would be doing the same.

The best brokers do as much due diligence as possible with the carriers they use but you can run into issues.

The other recommendation in this thread to find an actual carrier so you can get a feel for them is what I would lean towards as well.

Keep in mind that while you could end up spending a bit more time on the phone finding the carrier avaialble for your route you could see significant savings. No broker fee.

If you do go with a broker make sure you know up front what their fee is. Many will just try to make as much as possible and just find the carrier willing to take any price.

There is a directory site with carriers by state at [url]www.allcarhaulers.com/carrier-list[/url]

Good luck man. I've shipped a car using both train and truck and any way you cut it shipping things across states can suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or