Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:16 PM

42 posts, read 31,711 times

Advertisements

My mind is racing with other last minute things to figure out. Which day to empty condiments out of refrigerator. What personal items I need to make sure packers don't pack and where to put them so there is no confusion. How to fit into these remaining days returning cable equipment and a trip to the shredding service (yeah I should have done that earlier). Where to dispose of the trash I will accumulate for 2 days after garbage pick-up. I know there were other things that occurred to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This is the kind of thing sometimes you throw up your arms like, now what?! I’m having the same issues figuring out logistics at the tail ends of things. We are going from house to apartment briefly while our new house is finishing construction and then we’re getting married after the house is finished (3.5 weeks later), so since it’s 800 miles away I’ll probably fly down and get some contract work started I want changed, drapes ordered, etc., then back to the apartment. My dilemma is how to quickly make sure to ditch any of the furniture at the apartment as nothing we want moved is going there, just whatever we can fit in our cars and actual household stuff we keep goes to storage through the moving company. So we may have some stuff at the apartment that we need to ditch within 3 days, basically. Craigslist free maybe? Lol.
That is a lot of things to handle simultaneously. Respect. Craigslist is a good option to get rid of stuff if you feel like dealing with it. I took the easy way and donated, discarded or gave to friends a ton of things we were too lazy to purge over the years. There's a load for donation in my car now.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:31 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Or get an Airbnb locally for 2 nights so you can be in a homelike environment, sometimes nicer and cheaper than hotel and even have a full kitchen and washer & dryer. You can have a much more relaxing time and make yourself some meals.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:17 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It has come to that. In the 1980s, my husband's friend - friend of friend - made us sleep in their bedroom for a few days once our belongings were packed and we wouldn't fly out for three days. I just say made because we were willing to sleep on the couch or an air mattress.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
The last night before I moved here, I slept on an airbed that was super comfortable from Walmart. Then, I slept on it my first couple nights after I moved.

I just packed my coffee making stuff where I could find it, and otherwise bought frozen pizza at the local Safeway.

If you need the luxury of a hotel, go for it. If you want to save money, you can.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I was lucky that I was able to sleep in my own bed the night before the move. Movers arrived and packed the truck, including taking apart the bed and packing the mattress. Then on the other side, they set up my bed for me and I have my starter box which included fresh sheets for my bed. I made my bed and was able to sleep in it my first night in my new house too. I had boxes stacked everywhere and I didn't know where anything was, but at least I had my bed! I sure was grateful for that.

The other thing that I planned right was the window treatments. I had had Hunter Douglas in about 4 weeks before to choose and measure window treatments. The timing worked out perfectly as the new shades were ready a few days before my move date. It would have been better if I had left a key with the vendor so that they could have gotten in there before my move. But they came in late that afternoon as I was moving in and so I had privacy and room darkening (bedroom) in time so that I could sleep and move around my house comfortably.

The one thing I wish I could have scheduled earlier was the closet organizers. I had to wait for the install until a month after I had moved in. I had them in for the order and measuring the day after I closed, though, so I really couldn't have done it any earlier.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseej View Post
My mind is racing with other last minute things to figure out. Which day to empty condiments out of refrigerator. What personal items I need to make sure packers don't pack and where to put them so there is no confusion. How to fit into these remaining days returning cable equipment and a trip to the shredding service (yeah I should have done that earlier). Where to dispose of the trash I will accumulate for 2 days after garbage pick-up. I know there were other things that occurred to me.
Fridge: Trash day. Don't leave it in the trash for the new owners, if you can avoid it.
Personal items: Pack them in the car. Have a box or a suitcase ready to toss your last minute things in (pjs, toothbrush, etc.) and just put it in the car before the movers arrive.
Cable: I would do that about 2-3 days before the movers arrive (depending on the day of the week M-F). Just deal without it.
Shredding: Do it now.
Garbage: Try not to have stinky trash items after the garbage people come.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 AM

555 posts, read 595,551 times
OMG, just reading this is making me nervous... Our move is a week from tomorrow. I've switched from weekly to-do lists to daily lists.

Our situation is slightly different; we're driving down with our cats, then 6 days later my significant other will fly back here and finish up some last-minute chores before the movers come 2 days later. He'll drive his car down after finishing with the movers.

I have a box in the kitchen and I'm throwing in stuff I need to take with on the first trip down as I think of things. Coffeepot was the first thing in, LOL.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Fridge: Trash day. Don't leave it in the trash for the new owners, if you can avoid it.
Personal items: Pack them in the car. Have a box or a suitcase ready to toss your last minute things in (pjs, toothbrush, etc.) and just put it in the car before the movers arrive.
Cable: I would do that about 2-3 days before the movers arrive (depending on the day of the week M-F). Just deal without it.
Shredding: Do it now.
Garbage: Try not to have stinky trash items after the garbage people come.

Thanks for your reply.
Trash day is Tuesday, early. I will have to empty fridge Monday afternoon, and take trash to curb then, to make sure I don't miss pickup.
Packers will be here 7am on Tuesday. Some stuff will go in car on Monday, but not the things I will need for one more day (coffee stuff, bath towels, sleepwear, & ?). I will use travel grooming items and clothes from suitcase. I may put notes on things that stay or collect them in one place.
Cable. Monday because hubby is leaving Sunday and he can't live without it.
Shredding. It's not all collected or sorted yet. Too many years of not getting rid of papers. If I have to, I will box it and take it with me and deal with it after the move.
Garbage. I will have some small amount of trash between Monday evening and Wednesday afternoon. I will find a dumpster somewhere to dispose of it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
OMG, just reading this is making me nervous... Our move is a week from tomorrow. I've switched from weekly to-do lists to daily lists.

Our situation is slightly different; we're driving down with our cats, then 6 days later my significant other will fly back here and finish up some last-minute chores before the movers come 2 days later. He'll drive his car down after finishing with the movers.

I have a box in the kitchen and I'm throwing in stuff I need to take with on the first trip down as I think of things. Coffeepot was the first thing in, LOL.
Yeah, it's scary. I'm sure we will both find something we overlooked or didn't plan properly. We will get through it. Good luck with your move.

I need lists for my lists. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues