U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 AM

14 posts, read 25,150 times

Advertisements

I've started requesting quotes from local movers. The ones that have gotten back to me want an inventory of my stuff and my best guess as to how many boxes I'll have. For the inventory, do I really just list every single item I own? Like, I have 4.5 pencils and 10 shirts? That level of detail?

My move isn't until June, so I haven't really started packing yet. I'm still decluttering. Thus, I'm not sure how many boxes I'll need. There are calculators online, but they're all over the place for a 1-bedroom apartment. How should I guesstimate this? Did anyone find a tool that was accurate for them?

I'm just worried that if I underestimate, they'll charge me a premium price or something when they show up on moving day and that if I overestimate, they won't credit me the difference. I don't even know if that's how it works....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 03:30 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,880,628 times
No, what they want to know is how many beds & mattresses, tables, chairs, etc. Then how many boxes for your stuff, like dishes, clothes and even what's in your desk.

There are plenty of online estimators that will help you estimate what you have.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:05 AM

5,412 posts, read 5,838,514 times
I’ve found any estimations to be wildly inaccurate. Everyone who knows us knows we are very clutter free people and minimalist when it comes to not having stuff laying all around, but when I moved from a 1,700 square foot condo their 26’ truck was nowhere near big enough to fit everything and I ended up driving 5 times back and forth with my SUV for about 6 hours to finish the job. Only possible because it was a local move. There is simply no way anyone would be able to fit into that truck with a decent amount of furniture. You’d have to be giving away half your stuff.

Then I’ve had the opposite where this dude told me a 4 bedroom house like ours often has 120-150 boxes, and we have an 800 square foot basement too. Being about 75% packed already, there is no way whatsoever it’ll be even close to 100 boxes let alone 150! That’s insane haha what are these people moving?! So I’ve seen it both ways and the estimates are pretty much useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or