Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

I'm moving across country, from Texas to New York.

The only thing I have that is worth moving for me is my king size tempurpedic mattress that weighs approx. 200 pounds. and may be a few boxes of clothes.

What is the most efficient way to move this across country??

Timing and pickup can be flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 01:40 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz View Post
What is the most efficient way to move this across country??
Efficient = cost effective? I don't think there is one.
The cost to PAY for shipping isn't likely to be much different than buying a new one.

If you want to take a chance...
look for someone else who is filling a truck and hitch a ride with them.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 AM

I guess efficient = good value. I don't mind paying but I don't want to pay $500 for someone to just load the mattress on to a truck.

I guess the budget to move it is $500-$800? That seems reasonable to me. But the problem is there is one website online that is called TSI shipping and that's literally the only company that does it... with loading and insurance it was going to be $1300. There has to be competitors or something right?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
I guess efficient = good value.
Run the numbers... purchase price ÷ useful life to yield retained value

Your mattress wasn't cheap but how old is it?
How much is it worth now? How much could you sell it for there?

Quote:
I don't want to pay $500 for someone to just load the mattress on to a truck.
I can't see any actual business doing an interstate delivery job for less.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
I guess efficient = good value. I don't mind paying but I don't want to pay $500 for someone to just load the mattress on to a truck.

I guess the budget to move it is $500-$800? That seems reasonable to me. But the problem is there is one website online that is called TSI shipping and that's literally the only company that does it... with loading and insurance it was going to be $1300. There has to be competitors or something right?
You could try putting this up for bids on Uship. Here are some sample moves:
https://www.uship.com/cost-to-ship/h...urniture/beds/

Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Is there a market for used mattresses though? I can't imagine buying one.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

I'm fine paying $500 for the move. But they said it was $500 just for them to load it on the truck and unload the truck. Total would be $1000

Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Lol... you've GOT to be kidding.

Alright, I'll put on my make-believe hat and pretend you're being serious. The most cost-effective way to get it from TX to NY is to move it yourself. Yup, stuffing it into a vehicle and sitting in a seat for a couple days while you pilot a vehicle. Don't own a vehicle, no worries, you can rent them.

Ok, lets come back from la-la-land and talk, really talk. It would be astoundingly stupid to pay someone else to move your mattress and nothing else. By nothing else, I mean not having a FULL truck. Dump that thing, sell it if you can or donate it if you can't, and buy new once you're settled. I've moved a dozen times and it's NEVER made financial sense to move anything. I've done it, it's been dumb and I learned. It's really not worth your time or money to move a used mattress.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:20 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Your best bet is to seek out people who are already driving from Texas to New York with a load and have a little extra room, and willing to transport your mattress for a couple hundred dollars.

I know if I were making that drive in a truck, I'd happily throw your mattress in the back for 200 or 300 bucks. But to get it done for less than ~$500, you are probably going to have to do a lot of the planning and legwork to make it work yourself.

Short of that, sell the mattress and buy a new one when you get settled. But I do realize a king sized tempurpedic is quite expensive so it probably would be worth trying to find someone who can move it for you. I've never used uship, but that seems like a decent place to start.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
King size Temperpedic Mattresses I've seen have been in the $4000-$5000 range. Definitely worth moving.

Did you look at using a pod?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues