U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 12,973,621 times

Advertisements

Every post I read, someone is relocating to location B or comming to location A. Why are we so unhappy where we currently live that we have to spend money traveling? Everyone appears to be unhappy with a specific location or their own home location. I am guilty of being unhappy with WPB, FL and thats sad because I was born here and lived all my life. But the changes for the worse has forced me to move out once I save up. Many of you already live in good locations with low crime and affordable houses so you dont have to relocate!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:53 PM

88 posts, read 71,360 times
I would say you're restless too, but in any case, it's because people want changes, maybe they want a different job situation, a better quality of life, a different climate, more money, a bigger house, whatever.

States can be very very radically different amongst eachother so moving is a huge experience. Most people are not overly patient so they want it sooner. I don't blame them, but I will try not to rush when the time comes.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 PM
tao

720 posts, read 2,963,375 times
Keep in mind that these forums mainly attract people who are specifically interested in moving and who are seeking information about different places. The fact that most people here are talking about moving and wanting to live somewhere else by no means represents the majority of people in the country, it's just that this is a message board that draws in people who are particularly interested in getting info.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 AM

262 posts, read 1,900,840 times
It's like going to a restaurant and wondering "Why the hell is everyone eating so much?"

My real answer is "Jobs" and "Retirement." Those are clearly the most common causes for relocation, and pretty good reasons if I do say so myself. I love Maryland, but I'd relocate to New York for a $300k/year job or to California to retire.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:01 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,989,663 times
We were not unhappy, just seeking adventure and a change. 30 years in one place for us was too long.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,571,424 times
Default It is all about roots my boy

People always want what they ain't got.

If I can get more Paradise, I will move again too. Well maybe not too, too far. 43 F and raining in medium Paradise this morning.

I would wager a lot of it people no longer have roots anywhere. Or the entire tree, leaves, roots and all was destroyed. A lot of people can not get back to that illusion burned in their head of childernhood where the World was kind.

Try going back to BumSnort, NY and finding your old neighborhood. After they travel around in the Middle Passage mode, something starts tugging at them. It is not just bricks and motar, the social changes are worse.

I am sort of lucky, I can rediscover my roots. The entire SheBang is there, including most of the family folks I grew up with. So I can go back and wallow in the ultimum Paradise. Like a time machine.

You will move to Fab Oil City and after ten years of putting the 5300 square foot manison in perfect condition, decide WPB wasn't so bad. The winters will be without rain, summers mild and real estate so, so affordable. Even the junkyard dogs will have rubber teeth. The candles will have a special scent and be the cheapest in the World.

That lil ticker in the brain will be whispering "Go Home Boy"".

Then it will hit again, walls of brake lights, creative Analur folks. Bamn off and running to CA, TX or CO. Hold the phone, CO has no humidity, but they did just get some powdered humidity today, what happened to them perfect Western Winters.

Yup from ME to CA, same game, if must be better over the hill. After all somebody on City-Data just told me so.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:08 AM

88 posts, read 71,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
You will move to Fab Oil City and after ten years of putting the 5300 square foot manison in perfect condition, decide WPB wasn't so bad. The winters will be without rain, summers mild and real estate so, so affordable. Even the junkyard dogs will have rubber teeth. The candles will have a special scent and be the cheapest in the World.
Hahahhaaha. That was funny. It's true. You can't live THAT cheaply and still be in a decent place (i.e., not a dump) ANYWHERE, and NAH doesn't get it, and I'm so sick of him IGNORING it when EVERYONE!!! says it!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,360,787 times
All my relocations are due to the job.
Been with the same employer for 20 years but they have relocated me 7 times.

With today's global society and transit corporations, they must move here and there to either escape taxes and over regulations ie. the rustbelt of the NE and move to take advantage of Right to Work or tax advantages ie. Georgia, Alabama, Texas, etc.

For example, I always love the posts listed on the Georgia board from folks being relocated, things like racism, rednecks, etc., like all they think of when it comes to Georgia is Deliverance and the Race Riots. I can honestly say, that being a WV boy I am actually the most Southern person in my whole neighborhood of 300+ homes! I have yet, in over 2 years, met more than a dozen "natives" of Georgia. It's either NY, NJ, IL, CA, or Florida refugees by way of NY, NJ, IL, and CA.

I think the reason so many folks are "restless" is due to the broken family issue. With holiday's floating every three months in the year Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, other, folks miss home. Right now is a good example, the only thing more crowded than Malls is the Post Office and Fed Ex Kinko's due to families spread all over the place.

As far as restless on relocation. There is nothing more stressful than packing up your belongings and moving across the country. Your things out of reach on a truck, wondering if it will arrive in place, broken, or arrive at all. Doctor changes, school changes, car tags, insurance, utilities, etc., basically it is nuthouse city. And the older you get, the worse it gets. Basically older equals crankier

Just some thoughts.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:51 PM

919 posts, read 1,701,099 times
Default moving around

after i got back from nam i moved because of a divorce. good time to leave town. the other moves were for work. i knew where i was going and something about the area. always in the northwest, WA,ID,MT,WY.
id been there and had visited with friends in the area. i cannot understand those that move not knowing anything about where there going. on this site they ask about is there a hospital? wages, people, work etc. i know that this site is for help, but i feel they just throw a dart at a map, insane to me. adventurous or foolish, a fine line.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:11 PM

21,614 posts, read 30,183,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Every post I read, someone is relocating to location B or comming to location A. Why are we so unhappy where we currently live that we have to spend money traveling? Everyone appears to be unhappy with a specific location or their own home location. I am guilty of being unhappy with WPB, FL and thats sad because I was born here and lived all my life. But the changes for the worse has forced me to move out once I save up. Many of you already live in good locations with low crime and affordable houses so you dont have to relocate!
We want to move because of the excessive heat and humidity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues