U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,476,110 times

Advertisements

DH and I are using one of the movers that packs for you (very first time using this service). When they say they pack for you does that mean EVERYTHING like they'll even take all the "stuff" off the walls and pack them for us or do we have to remove all the pictures and trinkets off the walls ourselves and THEN the movers will pack everything. I know I have to bring everything from the attic downstairs (movers won't go in the attic - liability issues) but what about things like for example candles on tables, will the movers pack them or do I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM

2,449 posts, read 3,451,957 times
Default They pack EVERYTHING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
DH and I are using one of the movers that packs for you (very first time using this service). When they say they pack for you does that mean EVERYTHING like they'll even take all the "stuff" off the walls and pack them for us.
The movers I had pack for me even packed the used toilet bowl brush (in with my cosmetics, no less!). Also, they seem to pack together what items will fit best in the box. In other words, they don't necessarily pack what you would put in the bedroom totally with only bedroom items, etc. Also, they had told me I could leave items in my desk drawers to be moved as is. Well, I went into my home office and found a packer packing away my bills and checkbook, etc. That would have been a mess when I wouldn't be able to find those items for weeks, until I unpacked everything. I had used a major moving company and was very unhappy with the actual packers. I have to say, though, that nothing was broken.

So, if you DON'T want something packed, put a note on it or remove it. I'm going to pack myself next time. Much better for unpacking and sorting. Also, I can throw away or give away stuff as I pack.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,114,219 times
We are doing the "half packing" option

Where we do all the light stuff and they do dishes and breakables, etc

Plus we are paying for "UNPACKING" - this is bigger need for us, it will take us forever to unpack...no time at all.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,476,110 times
thanks staywarm and citygirl. dh's company is paying for the movers so i'm not going to pass up on the opportunity but since i've never used a moving company before i'm not sure what to expect. note to self keep personal/confidential items with self. Thankfully i'll have what little cosmetics i use with me. toilet brush in it, GROSS!

I packed a lot of breakables and personal things (like pictures) myself when we put the house on the market (depersonalized the house).

Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM

227 posts, read 778,683 times
They might want to repack any items that you have packed yourselves, or sign a waiver for items that you've packed, or else they won't be responsible for them if anything happens to them during the move. We have some items that are in bins that have just been moved from state to state that never get unpacked any more because we move too darn much, and they usually just take a peek in them to confirm that everything is securely packed.

Make sure to empty your garbage before they come, or they will pack the trash.

Last edited by libbykt; 04-18-2008 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM

2,588 posts, read 3,660,555 times
We've used them and they're great. Common sense tells you to pack up things yourself that you will need immediately and those things you simply don't feel comfortable allowing another person to pack. Usually, they shrink wrap around your whole dresser, so no need to pull your clothes out of the drawers. And, they do pack everything and will pull pictures off the walls. Generally, I've noticed they pack by room. So everything in the family room gets lumped together and so on. But, you'll be there to answer questions and what. I would also just call them and ask them in more detail how things work. Sounds like there are some differences between the companies.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,306,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post

I packed a lot of breakables and personal things (like pictures) myself when we put the house on the market (depersonalized the house).
I'd highly suggest asking them to repack those boxes. They will not be responsible for anything which they have not packed themselves. If they drop a box you packed? You get nothing. If they drop one they packed? They are responsible.

The other thing you should check out is whether your company will pay for the additional insurance with the movers. If not, and if you have valuable items, it's worth paying for yourself. When they say things are covered, it is with VERY low limits. As in, if you have nice oriental rugs or antiques or good crystal and something happens, you would in no way receive compensation enough to replace them. You can get the addt'l insurance and it would be fully covered. Worth it no matter who is paying for it.

And yes, they do everyhting--take things off the walls and all. Just buy the movers a nice lunch and sit back and enjoy!!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbykt View Post
Make sure to empty your garbage before they come, or they will pack the trash.
YES! My brother used to smoke and one time his packers boxed an ashtray full of cigarette butts and ashes!!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Just buy the movers a nice lunch and sit back and enjoy!!
Do you tip them, as well as buying them lunch?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:55 AM

103 posts, read 474,329 times
Good for you.The Military packed us 7 times.What i have learned is to get your stuff that you don't want shipped out of sight,in a closet or bathroom if you have a extra one and tell the movers everything in there stays.stay out of there way once you made sure medicine,paperwork,keys whatever is secured.They like it best if you keep everything where it is at,on the walls in the drawers,kitchen cabinets etc.This way they don't have to trip over things and can pick and choose what the wrap next.They will label your boxes,kitchen,bedroom 1,bedroom 2 etc.they will pack your food items,noodles,rice,can good,cleaning supplies,you name it.By the end of the day all the boxes will be stacked neatly out of your way along the walls.
Feed them lunch if you like or give them money for lunch.If they bring their own lunch,offer a tip when they are finished.They don't get paid that much and are local.Other people will come and load the boxes and transport them to your new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues