U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM

2,588 posts, read 4,934,040 times

Advertisements

Yes, 3 times. Even moved overseas once in that manner. It's kind of fun. Most of this was before the days of the internet. But, people in this country move so often that it was easy to meet people who had lived and/or spent time in the places I was moving. I never felt that I didn't know what I was getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM

6,262 posts, read 17,325,402 times
just did that very thing last week. Moved from the beach on the east coast to........~drum roll~...........Alaska!! Oh yea! I got tired of the hurricanes,humidity,dreadfully hot summers,no winters to speak of and well just sick of everything. So I'm now in Juneau and holy moly it is so gorgeous! So beautiful and the temps are awesome and the people I've met are so nice and friendly and I'm in 7th heaven.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,579,301 times
Was in the Air Force for 8 years.....moved to Las Vegas sight unseen, then the France sight unseen....get easy after awhile.....

Old 04-26-2008, 08:23 PM

947 posts, read 3,240,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoncat View Post
Hello,

Just wondering, has anybody here ever decided that they needed a change and after researching a state say, via internet packed up and moved before visiting first?
Yup, I have.

Ive moved from Mississippi to Florida to North Dakota to New Hampshire to South Carolia for my job.

And I had never even stepped foot in the state before I arrived for my new job.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:36 PM

8,315 posts, read 9,753,897 times
I have. I don't recommend it. Know what you are getting into! Where you live affects your entire quality of life.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,595,021 times
Yep. (Former military wife)

And we moved here too (without the Navy reason) without ever having visited the state.

We absolutely love it here. 3rd times the charm!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,863,723 times
Just ask this question of any military member (and their family)...we do it at least every two to four years, with an average of three years.

I've moved sight unseen to Florida, Colorado, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oregon, DC, Maryland and Virginia.

I admit the move from DC to Maryland wasn't a far stretch based on the close proximity.

I plan to go back to Oregon or Colorado as soon as possible.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM

947 posts, read 3,240,011 times
I will be moving to another state, sigh unseen soon, again.

And I'm not too worried about it. Why? I do my research online, Chamber of Commerce website, local business websites.. I look on message boards, read newspapers, talk to plenty of people in town..... so, generally, in the end, I feel very safe about my decision.

Plus, stepping foot in a town for the first time on the first day of my job makes things exciting, more for me to explore.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,633,739 times
Well, almost. I moved to a state I had never stepped foot in just because there was a house I could afford there. I made a trip to see the house and it looked as good as the ad said and I went back home, put in my 2-week notice and moved to the new state almost a thousand miles away without a clue what I would do there or what job opportunities there were.

No regrets.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,816,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoncat View Post
Hello,

Just wondering, has anybody here ever decided that they needed a change and after researching a state say, via internet packed up and moved before visiting first?
I have not, however I've family that did. As one would rationally expect, the result was disastrous. I don't recommend anyone ever do this.

Not only did the job for which the move was made fall through just a year later (a lot of empty promises were made but since none were put in writing, none of them came to fruition once the job was accepted), it took the family over 2000 miles away from their closest family, cost a fortune as moving allowance was never negotiated nor even asked for (duh), and the area ended up being relatively dangerous due to proximity to the Mexican border and thousands of illegal immigrants crossing each year through the city.

The whole thing was a part of a lousy plan put into action without much rationality. Decisions like moving should never just be emotionally motivated. Sure there may be an emotional element, but there needs to be some forethought and research done ahead of time. Being in the military is one thing (at least you know you're moving for an employer which isn't going anywhere, and you also know thousands of others do the same thing each year), and moving for an employer who you know well is likewise "ok".. but moving sight unseen to a place without really knowing who you're about to work for... a very bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues