U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,691,110 times

Advertisements

Did it several times as a child, because my dad's job took us there. Was hard to be completely uprooted, but my parents always made it seem like an adventure. My son and DIL, who have lived all their lives in Michigan are in the process of moving to Alaska, courtesy of the USCG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 04:48 PM

630 posts, read 2,044,219 times
yep did it and doing it again. Moved from CA to MA and now to NY. Just keep finding better job opportunities and they are willing to foot the bill to move me. So I figure why not, worse case I don't like it so I will look for another job, best case I like it and put down some roots for a bit.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:56 PM

463 posts, read 1,210,317 times
My parents did it....And to the point of no return. Once they left, they didnt have the option to turn back around.

Never seen the place they went to, and never came back to live in the place they left.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM

983 posts, read 4,089,570 times
Did it in 2002 when I decided to go to Atlanta sight unseen. Used an apt locator service and they did a very good job. Put me right in the heart of the Buckhead area. I had saved up a couple months car note and rent. Luckily I landed a J O B exactly one month after arrival. I also had a real estate license since I was from a reciprocal state and I started doing business there. But ATL wasn't for me so I left in 2004.

Moving to Dallas soon but it won't be sight unseen. California is just not for the working poor or middle class (guess I fall under this) anymore.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:29 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,681,693 times
I left home to go to college in a city and state I had never seen. Never went there for an interview. I did all the application and whatnot by mail. Snail mail because the internet didn't exist back then.

Family members did not accompany me to school -- airfare for anyone except me was just too expensive. They put me on the plane and went back home to wait for my (collect) call.

School, of course, didn't send anyone to meet me at the airport. I went outside and hailed a city cab. Once in the cab, reality hit me. "This guy could take me ANYwhere..." because I knew absolutely nothing about this new city! I realized I hadn't even looked up the address of the dorm on a map.

But it all worked out. I got to my dorm, got to my room and met my roommate (I didn't even know her name until then). And I've lived to tell the tale. So I guess that's my best "sight unseen" story .

Oh, I almost forgot. I got so wrapped up in getting my stuff into my room, I forgot to make that collect call to let the homefolks know I'd arrived safely. And they couldn't call me because they didn't have the number to the dorm (and, of course, there was no such thing as a personal or cell phone back then -- that was Dick Tracy fantasy stuff!). They couldn't call the school offices, I suppose, because it was a Sunday night and the offices were closed. Needless to say, they were happy, relieved and a bit grumpy when I finally did call several hours later .

Old 05-26-2008, 12:26 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,785,797 times
I've done it several times for the military. If it weren't for that, I would never do it. If you can, visit several times, at different times of the year first.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM

50 posts, read 167,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I've done it several times for the military. If it weren't for that, I would never do it. If you can, visit several times, at different times of the year first.

I lived on an AFB before moving here.
Military moves are SO much easier....sigh....I actually miss living on base
People take such good care of each other, even though they move every 2-4 yrs

Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 AM

1,836 posts, read 4,448,138 times
Every time I've moved, it's been to a new state, or even country, where I didn't know a soul, had never been there and, in some cases, didn't know the language! I've lived all over the U.S. and in Germany, Italy, Ireland, Africa, The West Indies, and Czech Republic. I've moved so many times, I have it down to a science!

I used to have everything packed, taped-up in boxes (not one loose item) and organized very close to the door so it would be easy on the movers. They loved me for that.

Then I made life simple and scaled back BIG TIME. Enough necessities and comforts to make moving about 60% easier than it used to be. Didn't need movers anymore, that's for sure!

Now, for the last seven years, I've scaled back much, much more even. I have the necessities. That's it. I love living simply. I just moved (within the same town) and it took me an three hours to clean and pack everything and one hour to unpack and settle in. I haven't watched television in years. I don't own one. No TV, stereo, microwave, dishwasher, etc., Not even a toaster. Not one remote control in the house.

As a result I have a LOT more time to get things done and still have time to spend. It makes moving, which I seem to do a lot, a lot easier. I'm hopefully looking to move once more - again to a place I've never been and don't know anyone. But I can't wait! In one year, I'm off to the mountains of Wyoming to settle down and put down roots for good.

I've never regretted a single one of my moves. I've had an adventurous life I wouldn't trade for anything.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Default yup!

hubby and i moved from massachusetts to Virginia without my ever visiting. he visited for his job interview and that was it. we took a huge risk but he's been here now for 4 months and i've been here for a month and we both love it.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,442,594 times
We're doing it in a few weeks. We're going from Maine to NM. I've never been there, heck never been past Ohio, but I am looking forward to it. My husband was in ABQ last week for the job interview and a quick look around. He loved it and said it looks like its going to be the perfect fit for us. I'm not too keen on living in a big city after always living in the boonies of Maine, but I will adjust. We won't be buying in ABQ as it looks like we will be ending up in Grants, NM.
I am just excited to be able to finally escape the humidity here and actually be able to enjoy the outdoors, and maybe not need my inhalers as much...or at all.
Scared of the move? You Betcha. But I am looking at it on a positive note. From all the online research, it looks like we'll have plenty to do in ABQ to keep us too busy to be homesick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues