U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 PM

826 posts, read 1,466,997 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to how I can make friends in a new city where I absolutely know nobody in the first place, and if it's even possible...I don't go to bars so that's not a option. Everyone always suggests that. Thoughts and/or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,248,103 times
join a group/club that interests you...for example last time we moved I joined a "Simplicity Circle" and met many great people there, some of them became good friends. We recently moved again, to another state, and I joined a yoga class, knitting group and the "Friends of the library" - already met many nice people. Taking classes has always led me to new friends.
Good luck in your new city!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM

2,011 posts, read 4,983,652 times
Taking classes, finding a hiking/biking group. Check the local paper for singles happenings--our community is sponsoring several build-a-thon habitat for humanity type functions for singles only. They start in the evening and work until dark and then have refreshments. The friends of the library groups, working as a volunteer in the local community theatre or performing arts center. Hang out at a quilt shop or knitting store. Get a part time job in an area that really interests you or that would be your hobby-scrapbooking? travel agency? bookstore? You might be able to meet people that way too.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,210,171 times
I ditto the two above posters. Keep in mind, though, that some cities are easier to make friends in than others. I know from personal experience! Some places are liberal and conservative. Yet, there are some places, L or C, that are welcoming to newcomers and where folks have a positive attitude while learning about others. On the other hand, some places are not just reserved but have outright sour folks that don't want to open up to newcomers so quickly. Only you can determine which culture you're willing to contend with.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:14 AM

119 posts, read 499,964 times
There are also great things like Meetup that have get togethers specifically for people new to the area as well as any number of groups/get togethers that aren't in bars that are great for meeting new people. There are groups almost everywhere, and if not for your city there should be a nearby one. If there isn't anything that interests you, you could make your own "meeting."

Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,139,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBC View Post
There are also great things like Meetup that have get togethers specifically for people new to the area as well as any number of groups/get togethers that aren't in bars that are great for meeting new people. There are groups almost everywhere, and if not for your city there should be a nearby one. If there isn't anything that interests you, you could make your own "meeting."
Hey, that would've been my answer! LOL. I joined a few local 'meetup' groups in my town. Theres a group for just about anyone- I suggest joining something you have an interest in, first and once youre comfortable with it- try joining something totally new to you. You'll enjoy it!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 PM

20,393 posts, read 37,733,186 times
I third the Meetup suggestion. Whether you're new to town or just wanting to meet some new people (as I was), it's a great way to hook up with people who share the same interests, and that's a good beginning to friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues