Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 11:44 AM

168 posts, read 267,718 times

Advertisements

We moved across country twice in two years. We had no regrets and we did do a pretty good job of getting rid of stuff. But several years after the second move we still had quite a few boxes of stuff that we had not unpacked. Clearly these were items that were not "needed".

We are going to be moving a substantial distance again in about 3 years and I have started whittling away at the stuff already. I have a list going, room-by-room, of what will go, what will be sold and what will be donated. Most of the furniture will not go with us...other than dining room and living room - those pieces are fairly new and expensive, so worth the move. Bedroom furniture, most of it will not come...other than two dressers that are high quality and worth the moving cost. We are also in a "no buy" mindset now, knowing that we have a move coming.

We will also rent for a few months when we move to have time to research specifically where we want to be. So, with it being just two of us we'll rent a 1 bdrm and won't have space for much furniture...another reason to not bring too much.

For both of our moves, we drove the truck ourselves, but hired helpers to load and unload. This was money well spent and quite a bit of savings over hiring out the entire job. On the first move, we lucked out, a good friend of ours was an advisor for an engineering fraternity and was able to locate a couple of students who were looking to make some cash. When these guys finished packing the truck there was not room for a single sheet of paper!! BEST.MONEY.EVER.SPENT! On the plus side for them, they "inherited" some items that wouldn't fit in the moving truck or our vehicles...vacuum cleaner (guess they'd use it!!) and a fairly nice gas grill...they would definitely use that!! hehe

Best advice, start preparing early and as YorktownGal said...open a bank account at your destination, it will make everything so much easier when you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 06:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Another thing that I would suggest:

If you do social media, see if your new town or area has a Facebook group or has a presence on Nextdoor. This can provide a wealth of knowledge from locals who know the ins & outs of local businesses, contractors, town culture and regulations. Where the best walking trails are, where to get takeout from, handyman recommendations, etc.

Join before moving and ask your questions! Also, lurk and learn. I found this invaluable when I moved to my current town. So much great information and advice. In my case, I've gotten far more out of the local Facebook group but, YMMV.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Wear good shoes. You are about to walk your legs off.

Old 04-28-2021, 05:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Heck, I just moved across town and I hate every bit of my stuff. That is, while it's being moved. Once I put it in place I like it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues