U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM

542 posts, read 1,753,143 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Vegas in July. I want to start shipping my stuff out to family there so they can store it in the garage until I arrive. Has anyone shipped things using the post office? I'm going to ship blankets, towels, sheets, books, and clothes. I'm taking my tv, pc, printer, video equipment and other stuff in the car with me since i'm driving.

So for those who have shipped things should I put my things (not books) inside garbage bags then box them and ship them?? I was thinking that way because of the weather.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM

13,098 posts, read 24,825,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I'm moving to Vegas in July. I want to start shipping my stuff out to family there so they can store it in the garage until I arrive. Has anyone shipped things using the post office? I'm going to ship blankets, towels, sheets, books, and clothes. I'm taking my tv, pc, printer, video equipment and other stuff in the car with me since i'm driving.

So for those who have shipped things should I put my things (not books) inside garbage bags then box them and ship them?? I was thinking that way because of the weather.

Any suggestions?

Check the rates and if UPS has a better rate use them.
Books due to the weight are going to cost you

Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,027,612 times
Ship books, tapes, magazines media mail. Lots cheaper, they may give a hassel on magazines containing ads. But most don't.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:17 PM

12,390 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Ship 4th class might be cheeper.... & yes line the box with plastic, inside plastic put a clearly printed lable/paper to where its going...just in case it gets seperated from the box!!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 26,473 times
Definitely use media mail for books, dvds/videos, and CDs! It is much, much cheaper, though arrival times can vary. I sent 8 or 9 boxes from my mom's house in IL to my place in Seattle and it cost around $10 per box (smallish), some arrived 2-3 days later, others took 10 days. For that price, who cares?!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM

I have roughly .... 100-200 books. Would it be better to split them into maybe 3 -4 boxes or 9-10 smaller boxes??? Do they go by weight when you use media mail??

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM

319 posts, read 1,750,902 times
They do weigh the boxes for media mail. I wouldn't box anything up heavier than you can lift, as you will have to go drop boxes off! Also, makes it easier on the postal workers. For books, about a 1.5 cubic foot box is best.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM

663 posts, read 2,034,189 times
Have you considered downsizing your books? Just a thought.

Has anyone ever shipped clothes via the post office or UPS? Any tips?

Old 05-27-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Have you considered downsizing your books? Just a thought.

Has anyone ever shipped clothes via the post office or UPS? Any tips?
Downsize my books.... lol ummmm no!!! ha ha ha

I was thinking of shipping some clothes too. However, I'm kind of concerned ... they might not make it there.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 AM

188 posts, read 570,123 times
When I moved from CA to NY I shipped books and videos/dvds via media mail. Was really cheap for big heavy boxes! Be aware they do reserve the right to check so don't cheat. I shipped other stuff like clothes via fedex ground/home, which was slightly cheaper than UPS at the time and that included the pickup from my house. USPS may have been cheaper (didn't check) but with 10 huge boxes I wanted a pickup - and US mail did not do that in my area. It ran around $40 per box, but these were BIG boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues