Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times

Advertisements

My husband needs to ship some volatile liquids from NY to Hawaii, in connection with moving his business. Things like varnishes (very valuable, can't be replaced). Does anybody know how this is accomplished? I know the postal service will not take anything flammable, etc. I think maybe you have to have some kind of permit to do it. I know it's possible, because we receive these kinds of things from companies that sell them (there's usually a hefty charge for shipping, due to the nature of the items).

So, are there any companies that handle shipments like this? Anybody know anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
WOW...Hazardous materials (HAZMAT) transportation is an expensive proposition with LOTS of rules and regulations. For example, any shipment weighing more than 1,000 pounds requires the truck transporting it to have placards. And the driver must be certified to haul HAZMAT. And preparing the shipment for air or ocean transport is a whole 'nother "ball of wax" altogether. Sweetbeet, I'd google "shipping companies" to get some companies to contact for estimates and shipment information. It may behoove your husband to reorder the varnishes, etc. from a source once he arrives in Hawaii. Best of luck!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I did some googling. It's not quite so bad if you're just shipping a small quantity, and UPS can do it, but there are LOTS of rules and regulations. Special kinds of packaging, labeling, and you even have to have some special software.

We're still considering whether it's worth it to do this. The problem is, some of the items are homemade varnishes that can't be purchased, and the raw materials are even very difficult to come by (how *did* Stradivarius get that special sound? Many think it was the varnish he used... there is a whole art and science of developing musical instrument varnishes, one of the last remnants of alchemy, I think...).

I just wondered if there was anyone on here with any experience. Based on what I found out on the 'net, though, I doubt it - they've essentially made it next to impossible for anyone other than a big company to even send one little tin of paint! I was really hoping that someone had a company that charged a lot of money and dealt with this for people, or small businesses, that were moving, but I haven't found one yet. Hmmmm... if I wanted to start a business...

Old 05-06-2008, 09:53 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
You can get a copy of a CFR 49 book. It is put out by the government for shipping anything, anywhere and the entire regulations for doing it. I was a hazardous shipper in the 1990's so I bet it has changed. Proper shipping containers and packaging,with proper labeling is what it takes. UPS will ship it with proper above and exact paperwork. Fedex used to take alot of our overseas shipments. If I were you, I'd be prepared to double contain a hazardous that has had initial opening of the can. Some can be doubled in containers. But read the book first.
You might be better off selling it to like minded people with same jobs/hobbies as your husband. And rebuying it at your destination.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I'll try. Being a lawyer I can probably understand it, or at least most of it. Not exactly something I wanted to get into right now, I was hoping I could just take the stuff somewhere and pay someone lots of money to do it for me.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
I was hoping I could just take the stuff somewhere and pay someone lots of money to do it for me.
LOL, I would be the same way. Good luck and let us know if you get it figured out!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:08 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times
Any good shipping company should be able to package and ship hazardous material for you for a price. We get liters of toxic chemicals shipped to my lab all the time, I think they look for good packaging, multiple spill-proof containers (ie double bagged), and definitely good paperwork (MSDS for chemicals, proper shipping docs and declarations). It's also tougher to send things via air now due to tougher regulations. They keep changing the rules so the shipping companies like FedEx can help you with that. Just make sure you go to a location staffed by FedEx employees and not some local kinko's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues