Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 02:03 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I moved away from my mother when I graduated college last year. The thing that helped me is that I was moving to a place that I already had a support system set up there since I lived there previously and I was moving totally for economic necessity and employment opportunity. Is it going to suck not spending every holiday with them? Yes. But at the end the day, you have the responsibility to keep you and any immediate family in a position to survive and sometimes you cannot do that living two streets away from your parents or siblings. Such is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 967 times
I plan to move also right now im in Chicago il it's horrible here although my family is here my heart keep pushing to leave i want better i want different

Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhnsn2010 View Post
I plan to move also right now im in Chicago il it's horrible here although my family is here my heart keep pushing to leave i want better i want different
What's horrible? The weather, crime?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:16 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I moved away from my home state right after I graduated college. Sometimes I wish I could be closer, but it's kind of nice having my own life. I talk to them a few times a week on the phone.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:40 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhnsn2010 View Post
OK. Well, then I would suggest getting your family set up with Skype. Then you can call or Skype them any time you want. It's not quite as good as visiting in person, but almost and a lot better than 100 years ago when all people could do was write letters.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:55 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Family is all you got, man. As you get older youll realize this. I moved away from family and enjoyed it (haha) for about 2 months. Then after the excitement of the new place wore off, I became quite lonely, even in the presence of my wife and son. Now, granted, I wasnt too far (about 450 miles) from family, but it was enough. I moved back to IL for other reasons, but family was probably my biggest one. Many people can relocate w/o a 2nd thought in their mind and never miss their families they left behind, but others, like me, who are attached to family, found out it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Best of luck, Josh.
if you have ties that bind you emotionally, maybe it's best to forego a little more money in return for the security that your family brings you. Until i moved away from America I was far more attached to my job than my family. Then i married a woman overseas for whom her family was her life. I've learned a lot from her. I am closer now to my grown children than i was when they were young and we lived in the US and I am closer to her family than I ever was to my mother and father's families. She has two grandchildren, 2 and 6, and we spent the most lovely day, today, walking and playing in the woods Northwest of Copenhagen. I am beginning to experience how people like you feel.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:04 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I waited until they died. Then I moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues