Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

As you can tell by the title, the question is pretty straight forward. Those of you that have moved away to a different state, how are you able to cope with moving away? I just ask because I have a little sister who is four and brother who is Eighteen. My little sister means the world to me but I want to move. I just thought maybe there was some people on here that have dealt with similar situations before. My move will be about 900 miles from home. I'm still trying to plan everything out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
As you can tell by the title, the question is pretty straight forward. Those of you that have moved away to a different state, how are you able to cope with moving away? I just ask because I have a little sister who is four and brother who is Eighteen. My little sister means the world to me but I want to move. I just thought maybe there was some people on here that have dealt with similar situations before. My move will be about 900 miles from home. I'm still trying to plan everything out.

Thanks in advance.
Hi there I moved over 2000 miles away from home 3 years ago. Its tough. I'm originally from Fayetteville Arkansas and I do not like to fly lol, so i drive every time i want to visit and let me tell ya, its a long, hard trip(passes through many mountains and often out in the middle of nowhere). Like this year for example i haven't been able to go at all because weather and classes wouldn't allow me, so when i go to visit this summer it will have been a whole year since i've seen any of my friends or family It can be really tough sometimes, but then i realize the good experiences i've had doing so and getting to live in an awesome place like Seattle, so while its hard i'd say its been a good experience. So, this summer i'm moving to San Diego, and while normally 1,500 miles away sounds very far, to us its not quite as bad lol. Its hard, but I think the benefits of seeing new places can be worth it. Call often, and visit as much as ya can and you'll be fine, but it does take time to get used to it. Good luck!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Family is all you got, man. As you get older youll realize this. I moved away from family and enjoyed it (haha) for about 2 months. Then after the excitement of the new place wore off, I became quite lonely, even in the presence of my wife and son. Now, granted, I wasnt too far (about 450 miles) from family, but it was enough. I moved back to IL for other reasons, but family was probably my biggest one. Many people can relocate w/o a 2nd thought in their mind and never miss their families they left behind, but others, like me, who are attached to family, found out it was a HUGE MISTAKE. Best of luck, Josh.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Steve-o, I must say that you were probably better off than I was. You had two loved ones with you. Me, I'd be going by myself. No friends, no Family there. I appreciate the comments and advice guys.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:54 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
My husband and I moved 1380 miles from home almost 2 years ago. Part of the reason was to get a break from my very clingy mother, but there were lots of other reasons as well.

Now we are planning on returning home, hopefully in the next 12 months. We miss the entire State, not just what little family is there. Actually between the 2 of us, the only family there would be my mother and oldest brother. ANother brother is in SC and DH's sister is in IL. We're scattered all around, what few of us there are remaining.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
I didn't move quite as far away, but I've been in this situation before. Basically the best things to do are:

1. Make as many friends as possible in your new place
2. Connect with family and friends from back home by phone, e-mail, etc.
3. Schedule an occasional trip to go back home for vacation

Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
I moved about 3,500 miles from friends and family 17 years ago, and I have never been back even for a visit. If my family expects me to attend their funeral, then they had better die in Alaska.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
My family and really our culture as a whole places very demanding expectations on us.

So Im very close to not only my immediate relatives but equally close to my extended family.

When I was living in NY, I was at the airport almost every other weekend flying back to the Bay Area for some family event. It got so tiresome that I wound up moving back.

Now that I spend half my time in Sao Paulo, its even harder. LOL

Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Great advice everyone! Thanks Again.

Josh

Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 47,551 times
i'm still where i've always been but my better half is 3800+ miles away...i don't have any advice i just wanted to say i know what you're going through and i'm sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues