Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times

Advertisements

I am moving a 14 yo this summer from MI to NV. Freaking out about how she will adjust. I think it is a whole different world for her. Going from Middle school to HS will be challenging. I actually feel bad for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I am moving a 14 yo this summer from MI to NV. Freaking out about how she will adjust. I think it is a whole different world for her. Going from Middle school to HS will be challenging. I actually feel bad for her.
Speaking from experience it is a tough time to move. I look back and wish I had done things a bit differently. Your recognizing that this will be tough is a good thing. A bright spot is that she is making the move in between middle and high. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
When you say experience, do you mean that you moved during that time as a teen or you moved a teen as a mom? (does that make sense? )

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
We are moving our 12 year old this summer. She will be starting 7th grade next year. What I'm mostly worried about is she will be going from a tiny, tiny private school to a public school that is 10 times larger. She is excited though, so I try not to worry. I also tell her that if she is uncomfortable or anything to let us know and we will find a private school for her. She wants to go to a big school to see how it is there and meet different types of people, but I am uncomfortable, I just can't imagine how it may feel to go from a school of 100 to a school of 1200. Also, more conflict, there are no trouble makers at her school now. But at the end of the day, I am the one more worried than she, which is a good thing.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
People in the military and diplomatic corps move their children all the time. Not to be heartless, but children can adapt. Well, they need to learn to adapt and better to do it as a child than as an adult. That said, I'm not saying you shouldn't attempt to mitigate the stress on their part, but don't miss out on a good opportunity because little Johnny or Sally might get upset.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM

372 posts, read 1,228,722 times
Well, DH and I have three children - 14, 12 and 9. We moved in late November, and I'll tell you, I don't know if I would move at that time of year again. Many school groups are already established, so it's hard to "break into" them.

My middle child has had a very hard time of it. She just came to me today, crying, saying she just doesn't fit in. She said there are a lot of cliques and she doesn't feel like she belongs in any of them (Personally, I'm glad she feels she doesn't need to change herself to fit in!). Tomorrow I'm calling the school guidance counselor to talk about it.

My oldest did very well with the transition. I think it's because she jumped right into the school play, and she loves theatre, so she started making friends right away, because she found people that liked something she liked.

My youngest is autistic - most of our worries there were before the move; trying to find the right place for him and that would fit his needs.

I'd love to hear from anyone that can offer advice for my 12-year-old. My heart hurts, seeing her so sad... You can PM me if you'd like.

Cathy

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters1996 View Post
Hello! I am curious to hear parent's experiences with moving children. We are looking to do the same thing. We have three children, 10, 8 & 3. Our oldest will be going into 6th grade and starting middle school. She is a great kid, lots of friends here and is very happy. My dh and I would love to move down south and everything is falling into place for us to move. However, we are so worried that moving, just because we would really like to try it, is not the right thing to do for our children. If we had to move b/c of a job or something like that, then I could feel a little more comfortable with it, but this is something we have been wanting to do for a few years and everything is just kind of lining up for the move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I was so worried about my kids when we relocated last year. We relocated from the North to the South and I had no idea if they would be accepted. Would it be a big deal that they were from the North? I feel so silly for worrying about that now. The people in general are so friendly here. The town we moved to is full of transplants anyway and they are far from being the new kids. As another poster mentioned, people seem to move a lot more nowadays. My kids were 9 and 10 when we moved. They made so many friends and adjusted so easily. My daughter has always been EXTREMELY shy and would remain close with only a handful of people. She has become quite the social butterfly where we live now. I am so proud of her. My son has also made many new friends and has had no trouble adapting. It really is true what they say, kids are resilient. I moved a lot as a kid and I think it made me much more outgoing as an adult. It's just a theory of mine.

I am truly thankful that we did make the move. I am very happy with the idea of raising our children in the south. It is a way of life we are very agreeable to.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 AM

51 posts, read 241,545 times
Well we moved into a very small upstate NY school after katrina from MS where my kids were in 6th and 8th grade, it took them a while but they now love it here. We are now moving back to MS son now 15 going in 11th grade daughter going into 9th grade, they are furious and very upset with me. I am hoping they will adjust again. so much has changed on the coast since we left 3 years ago.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
We've moved three times in the last two years and although my children are younger (7,5,3,1)--it is always a challenge. The first move was the hardest but each successive one is easier. We are moving again in two weeks but luckily we are going to stay in the same area this time. Moving away from family was difficult the first time. I just explained to my girls that daddy pays all our bills and that is why they get to have nice clothes and do lots of activities and go to a nice school..sometimes Daddy's job is somewhere other than where we live and we have to move. We might not like it but we have to suck it up and make the best of things (ok--this is a dumbed down conversation for my two oldest--two youngest don't care). My girls get it. This year is tough because we're in elementary school so I've put my foot down with my DH and said we won't move as long as school is in session. That's just a concept (moving in middle of school year) that I don't want to put my girls through. Being the new kid in school or activities is always tough--even tougher in the middle of a school year when everyone else is in the groove.

Our friends just moved cross-country and they were very concerned about their 14 yo. They immediately got her involved in a sport and although it's only been 2 weeks--it appears to be going well. Her dad predicts that within a month, she will slow down or stop texting with her old friends.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM

181 posts, read 631,726 times
We are moving as well with 4 kids still at home. We have a 15 year old son he started High school this last year and will be in 10th grade. He is the kind of kid who has a few friend rather than many. He went to a really small high school and I;m concerned about that. He makes friends but is quite in school. I know it is hard for him, I would have had a hard time. When kids get this age you just worry period. I have three older than him all on there own. They stayed out of trouble made nice friend but I was there keeping an eye on them. I want to find a church and Like another poster said we are going from North to South. I think in the end he will be okay. My older two in school I'm not too concerned with they are both going into 1st and at that age they make friends easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues