U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 PM

175 posts, read 1,331,871 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone- I'm moving to a rural town, population about 30,000. I'm flying, and using ABF-Upack to drive my stuff. I don't know a soul in this town and will be by myself. How do I go about finding some (reliable) local people to help me unload the truck when it gets there? We're talking refridge, washer/dryer, and a 3-bedroom house full of furniture and boxes. I thought about putting an ad in their local Craigslist, saying I would pay ?? whatever per hour, but who knows if people REALLY would show up? Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM

254 posts, read 1,078,637 times
I've used this service a few times and have always had really good luck with the providers I've found.

eMove.com - Your one stop moving shop.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,686,908 times
You might also try contacting storage or moving truck companies in your new area and ask if they know any locals who do this work. Or, local job banks.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,622,245 times
We used Emove when we moved from NM to CO. They have listings for people to help you load too if you need it. Very reliable.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM

139 posts, read 476,740 times
Is there a local college or university? Especially if the area doesn't have a lot of jobs, a notice posted on their board should get you some moving help. I've done this a lot of times.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:29 PM

175 posts, read 1,331,871 times
Thanks for the EMove tip. I checked into it, at least it's a possibility. Seems pretty pricey though, it would cost me almost $1,000 total for movers on both ends. I suppose you get what you pay for, those guys are experienced with handling heavy furniture and are probably insured, etc. but I was 'hoping' for something a bit cheaper, but reliable. Sure, I could put out a post on Craigslist, but how many would actually show up to help you move? Anyone have any other ideas??

Old 05-03-2008, 01:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,851,641 times
My situation was somewhat similar, I hired a local moving company (2 guys and a truck) I think it was like $100/Hr. They came with a truck and loaded my safe, fridge, Bed etc etc you know all the stuff that is soo much easier for professianal movers. Including load and unload it was only like 4-5 hrs. Money well spent for saving my back.
Unloading your stuff I wouldnt think would take more than 4 hrs and it should be cheaper because they would'nt need their truck and everyone knows unloading the stuff is a piece of cake compared to packing and loading!!
I would look in the yellow pages under movers, call them and tell them your situation.
Hope this helps

Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,507,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everyone- I'm moving to a rural town, population about 30,000. I'm flying, and using ABF-Upack to drive my stuff. I don't know a soul in this town and will be by myself. How do I go about finding some (reliable) local people to help me unload the truck when it gets there? We're talking refridge, washer/dryer, and a 3-bedroom house full of furniture and boxes. I thought about putting an ad in their local Craigslist, saying I would pay ?? whatever per hour, but who knows if people REALLY would show up? Any ideas??
Contact NOW the Chamber of Commerce, tell them what you need, and ask for their assistance. They're IN THE BUSINESS OF advising you!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,356,210 times
I used craigslist a couple of times and found I could haggle over prices with people on there. The last time I needed a couple of guys to help load the moving truck, I was able to find 2 really nice and helpful guys who worked very hard. I paid them $10.00 an hour.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM

3,646 posts, read 9,622,245 times
$1000?!

We moved a 28' truck full of furniture and boxes, packed to the gills. The movers we hired to unload the truck were $75 per hour for 2 guys. It took them 2 1/2 hours, including the chats and breaks. They kept trying to do "extra" (setting up the TV/DVD, bed frames, opening the playroom boxes for the kids) so I had to stay on them to keep them on task.

They arrived with flowers and donuts too.

I would be leery of craigslist. The movers on emove do have to content with references and reputation. With craigslist, you don't know who you're counting on, not to mention who you're inviting into your home. Something that effected my decision to hired a licensed company - these guys will know EXACTLY what you have in your home, where it is and be very comfortable with the layout of your home. If you have pets, they will be familiar with these guys... just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues