Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 08:50 PM

52 posts, read 131,259 times

Advertisements

Not strictly a question about moving, but I dunno where else to post it. I have been tasked to clear an old storage unit for a relative overseas who will not be returning. I have sorted out the few bits of stuff he wanted, and he is completely unconcerned with the rest. A lot of what remains consists of paperback books, clothes, kitchen housewares, and miscellaneous conventional sundry. I want to get rid of it all as cheaply and efficiently as possible, and I'm looking for suggestions. I doubt that the Salvation Army would want anywhere near all of it at once, and I don't think they even take clothes anymore(?) Anyway, please assist. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 11:25 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
"paperback books, clothes, kitchen housewares, and miscellaneous conventional sundry"

are all items that Goodwill ... and many other charitable organizations ... have as their stock in trade.

even if you've got a truckload of these items, they'll gladly accept them in useable condition.

of course, if the items are trashed out and now ready for the junkheap, the charities don't want to waste their time sorting and cleaning, so better for you to take them to your solid waste disposal site and discard the items.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmeister Smith View Post
Not strictly a question about moving, but I dunno where else to post it. I have been tasked to clear an old storage unit for a relative overseas who will not be returning. I have sorted out the few bits of stuff he wanted, and he is completely unconcerned with the rest. A lot of what remains consists of paperback books, clothes, kitchen housewares, and miscellaneous conventional sundry. I want to get rid of it all as cheaply and efficiently as possible, and I'm looking for suggestions. I doubt that the Salvation Army would want anywhere near all of it at once, and I don't think they even take clothes anymore(?) Anyway, please assist. Thank you.
Find one of the "flea market" jobbers. They might even pay you too.
Just be sure the deal is for it all.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmeister Smith View Post
You can ask the storage warehouse to dispose of it for you. If they hesitate, ask them what they do for people who do not pay their bill. Every storage unit has a way to dispose, and every storage unit I have used offered to do it for free, though in one case they did not want to and I had to pull the "What do you do when someone doesn't pay?" card.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:11 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en

Old 03-28-2021, 04:40 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Salvation army used to pick up if you have enough stuff.

Goodwill takes all the items you mentioned. I've seen people drop off pick up truck loads.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:39 PM

289 posts, read 489,288 times
I’d leave it open for a bit and see if people take some of the stuff!! Most things except clothes could also be donated to a Habitat Restore.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:35 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
You can lock up the unit and walk away and stop paying. It will be auctioned at some point, and whoever wins gets to dispose of the junk. Put everything in boxes and label them:

Trading Cards
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Vintage Playboys
Coin collection
etc.

That's really mean to the auction buyers, but will ensure the unit gets bought for a premium price, thus making the storage place happy.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
We used them twice
Nice guys both times
My husband just didn’t have time and what needed to go was not what someone would really want

But the guys told me that people who run “Haunted Houses” buy lot of stuff like rotting books and dirty mattresses to use as stage setting

Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You can lock up the unit and walk away and stop paying. It will be auctioned at some point, and whoever wins gets to dispose of the junk. Put everything in boxes and label them:

Trading Cards
Cabbage Patch Dolls
Vintage Playboys
Coin collection
etc.

That's really mean to the auction buyers, but will ensure the unit gets bought for a premium price, thus making the storage place happy.
Fraud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues