U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM

634 posts, read 2,325,281 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for that quote. I needed to hear (read) that today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM

24 posts, read 86,448 times
I have actually experienced both sides of what everyone is talking about - I moved from MA (where I was born and raised) when I was 26 to go to grad school in Colorado. My then-boyfriend (now Hubby!) came with me to a place we had never been! We loved the move and really enjoyed carving out our own life 3000 miles away from everyone we knew. 3 years after we moved, my sister and my brother-in-law actually moved to the same town we were in! We have all been having a blast and enjoying the experience of exploring new places.

I finished grad school last year and am working toward getting my career off the ground. As my husband and I have started to talk about having a family soon, I have noticed that I am becoming more and more home-sick for New England. We have been away for 4 1/2 years and I think we are ready to actually move back. We love Colorado but have just not found new friends that could ever measure up to the friends we have had for 20 years back East...not to mention family.

So I guess my experience with this subject is that while I was engaged in grad school and had a reason to live so far away from the people I love, I was fine. Once school was over, and my husband and I are looking to take the next step toward our future together, I realized that where we live will never feel like home. I simply can't imagine raising kids of my own without being able to get to friends and family by car in a few hours.

Hope this view helps you....do what's right for you and have no regrets!! Good luck

Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,405,804 times
Talking 3 weeks to go...

I'm moving in 3 weeks to be with my husband who relocated to Chicago from So Cal a few months ago. Our kids are grown... we have grandbabies we're leaving behind. However at this point in our lives we get to do this! My mom and older daughter when told said..."Hmm... never been to Chicago"... the younger one who is a new mom freaked. But since Dads been gone it's gotten a little easier for them...(but not for me) I miss him like a dog misses his bone!
Now, when he comes home in Nov and we start packing and leave the day after Thanksgiving? All bets are off... I'll bawl like a baby... and thats no news to anyone. Not only are we leaving them.. but I am leaving a place I have worked for 5+ years...BUT... the excitement of Mom and Dad's big adventure is too big to be overshadowed. We have been waiting for this opportunity for years and now here it is.
This MAY be the worst thing we ever do... but... it may very well be the BEST! I don't know. I am excited and nervous all rolled up in a big ball!

I hate being separated from my husband. While i love my kids and grandbugs without measure.. my husband is the love of my life(even after 28 yrs)... and I go with/to him happily.
Life is an adventure to be lived...and if this blows chunks... then ... ooops
We aren't selling our home so we can come back if it gets to the point where we mutually decide to throw in the towel...but we're stubborn.
Good luck to everyone in this position...
I think it all does, like someone else said, your place in your life...I'm a 40sumthin and am ready to roll!
Besides, if I freeze to death in Chicago I will go with a really GREAT jacket on!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 41,434 times
I live in CA, and my husband and I want to move back to the Northwest. We want to start a family soon and be closer to our parents. But the job situation is terrible. You know those archaic things known as newspapers? We put those out, and fewer people are reading them these days, so that means buyouts, hiring freezes, layoffs, etc. Several of our friends up there are without work right now. So my family can't understand why we'd leave our jobs for a place where we probably wouldn't find work right away, and if we did, it would probably be part time. But I'm sick of us being miserable here.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM

365 posts, read 1,129,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarzen View Post
THE PROBLEM: Where can we find good paying jobs for both a geologist and an entry-level engineer?

ANY IDEAS? Help please!
Only one place I know: Texas.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 18,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
My husband and I moved from South Fla to NH (about 1,500 miles away). We left all friends and family and went to a town where we didn't know a single person. We thought it'd be no big deal and we'd meet people in the first couple months there. We'd talk to our friends on the net and phone and all would be well.
It was fine for the first couple months, we hadn't made friends but didn't expect to very very fast. About 5 months into it, the phone calls got less and less cause the fact that we were gone set in and people got on with their own lives. Converstations got shorter, and every time we talked to family/friends we missed them more and more. We were always being told the great things going on but were never a part of them.. Flights were expensive so we couldn't fly down for the birthdays, or the holidays. Also becasue we were so far away no one wanted to send gifts for the holidays because of the cost. I ended up on Christmas morning sitting home alone, my husband got ordered to work and with no presents from anyone. Thats when we had had enough we missed friends and family too much.... We just moved back to Fla last Friday and I've done more with all the fam and friends in this week than we did a whole year in NH... IMO I don't recommend moving far away.. It seems like a good idea but really think about it.. Everyone you care about won't be coming with you, won't have any idea whats going on in your life nor you theirs. Unless you experienced I don't think you'll realize how hard and heartbreaking it can be
Thank you for sharing that. I feel the same way. We moved from a pretty good sized town (around 1 million people) to a much smaller and much more remote place in Texas (around 90,000). It's been 6 mos. and we definitely know this isn't the place for us. We are actually doing worse financially, and while my hb's job is okay, the employment I was able to finally find is awful. We were really optimistic coming to this place, but it's been a terrible mistake. We miss family, friends, and we've really discovered we thrive much more in a bigger city.

The question is do we "stick it out" for a year or two year to prove that we can do it?? Or, do we swallow our pride and get back to a place where we're ultimately going to be doing better??

Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,078,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Initially, yes, but I feel one should spread their wings and fly at least once in life. Try it, see how things go and if you don;t like it, then you can always go back home.
I agree with Gil.

Hubby's family and my family have a lot of drama, issues, etc. and it was very exhausting emotionally. So we moved two and a half years, we got independance, our own space and peace.

I think we'll move again because we don't tolerate very well the long and extremely hot summer, so we know we'll move at least once or twice again. We're ready for more adventure!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,492,812 times
I call family often, and my son texts me often. We got together every few months and holidays, and I miss those but people lived scattered enough that it was mostly internet or phone. So while I miss those days its not that different. I couldn't stand my neighbors in my apartment so I don't miss them. Right now I'm hibernating in my nice warm cave more than going outside, but have met a few people locally who I talk to.

Most of my friends were met on the internet and have always been long distance, and still are. But my best friend and I talk literally every night, and are making plans to meet in person. I think if a good portion of your friends are already long distance it doesn't matter that much.

I do not miss Riverside, now even more since its got the highest rate of unemployment in the nation and was already going downhill fast when I moved. I came for the pace of life and clean air and friendly people and am quite satisfied with that. I suppose if you left because of cost alone and miss a lot of local friends it makes a difference but if you came for what you find there isn't much to miss.

I am keeping my cali cell number though. I'm getting a cheap local cell and forwarding it to the other but there are way to many people to notify of the new number otherwise.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:28 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,981,874 times
I have been in CA for 6 months and I am already planning my next move. We are way too far from any family. Our closest relatives are in NY and they are not going to take such a long trip to see us. I regret moving here so much. I wish I had stayed firm on my desire to stay in the east coast.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM

947 posts, read 3,242,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I call family often, and my son texts me often. We got together every few months and holidays, and I miss those but people lived scattered enough that it was mostly internet or phone. So while I miss those days its not that different. I couldn't stand my neighbors in my apartment so I don't miss them. Right now I'm hibernating in my nice warm cave more than going outside, but have met a few people locally who I talk to.

Most of my friends were met on the internet and have always been long distance, and still are. But my best friend and I talk literally every night, and are making plans to meet in person. I think if a good portion of your friends are already long distance it doesn't matter that much.

I do not miss Riverside, now even more since its got the highest rate of unemployment in the nation and was already going downhill fast when I moved. I came for the pace of life and clean air and friendly people and am quite satisfied with that. I suppose if you left because of cost alone and miss a lot of local friends it makes a difference but if you came for what you find there isn't much to miss.

I am keeping my cali cell number though. I'm getting a cheap local cell and forwarding it to the other but there are way to many people to notify of the new number otherwise.
Yuo'd be better off getting a MagicJack (www.magicjack) or Vonage (www.vonage) VOIP number and use call forwarding on that... MUCH CHEAPER then any cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or