Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 10:56 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,129 times

Advertisements

We have talked about moving away from our families and friends for several years now, but haven't done it yet.

There is a big part of me that wants to get away; experience a new place, get a fresh start, establish our own family traditions etc., and be exposed to additional oportunities and experiences that somewhere else could open up to us. But I also worry that we would miss everyone and that it could end up being much harder than I anticipated.

How hard was/is it for you to move away from family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 PM

252 posts, read 390,340 times
How far away are you planning to move? I\'ve heard it said that \"Once You Leave Home, you can never go back\"...That has been true for me. Moving IS a very complex set of circumstances: If you are moving from a very bad place to a very great place it is probably worth it. Otherwise I don\'t think the decision should be taken lightly. imho, ymmv.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,044,672 times
we moved about 5hrs away from all my family and all my friends.....Id grown up in a very small area, and had never in my live lived more than 30minutes from my family....and we had 3 grandkids that had spent their first years w/all the family so close. It was a really really hard deal in many ways....(we moved in a big part to get away from my exhusband who was doing very bad things to our daughter....the weekend visits were detremental...long story) the first year, honestly, i was so miserable, I bawled so much and spent so much time on the phone. All the grandparents very vocally opposed our move, and there were tears, pleas, and you name it! BUT, we got through it, and honestly, where we do miss them being so close, in many ways, it also made my husband, kids and I even closer. And actually, it even improved things between my daughter and her bio-father...in the long run.
Be prepared for some very tough times in the first year or so. Its a big adjustment! but, look at it too as a big adventure and again, as a time to grow closer to your spouse/kids.
Best of luck in your decision!!!
Tiffany

Old 05-11-2008, 12:25 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Two years ago we moved from the East coast, where I was born and raised, and where our family and relatives still live, and moved to the West. I didn't think it would matter that much that we were moving so far away from our family and friends. In recent years, we have all been so caught up raising our own families, working, etc., we barely got together except on the holidays anyway. I realize now, it's not how often you see them, it's just knowing they are close by that matters. It's beautiful here, but it's just not home. We're moving back this summer.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:53 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,158,999 times
wasn't/isn't hard on me at all. I haven't seen my son and his wife in a year but talk to them every few days. As for other family members-my sister,brother, hubby's siblings, our neices,nephews,etc; nope it may sound harsh but I don't miss them. Helps ,I suppose ,that I love where I live and love my job and stay so busy I don't have much time to brood about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
We have talked about moving away from our families and friends for several years now, but haven't done it yet.

There is a big part of me that wants to get away; experience a new place, get a fresh start, establish our own family traditions etc., and be exposed to additional oportunities and experiences that somewhere else could open up to us. But I also worry that we would miss everyone and that it could end up being much harder than I anticipated.

How hard was/is it for you to move away from family?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,429 times
My husband and I moved from South Fla to NH (about 1,500 miles away). We left all friends and family and went to a town where we didn't know a single person. We thought it'd be no big deal and we'd meet people in the first couple months there. We'd talk to our friends on the net and phone and all would be well.
It was fine for the first couple months, we hadn't made friends but didn't expect to very very fast. About 5 months into it, the phone calls got less and less cause the fact that we were gone set in and people got on with their own lives. Converstations got shorter, and every time we talked to family/friends we missed them more and more. We were always being told the great things going on but were never a part of them.. Flights were expensive so we couldn't fly down for the birthdays, or the holidays. Also becasue we were so far away no one wanted to send gifts for the holidays because of the cost. I ended up on Christmas morning sitting home alone, my husband got ordered to work and with no presents from anyone. Thats when we had had enough we missed friends and family too much.... We just moved back to Fla last Friday and I've done more with all the fam and friends in this week than we did a whole year in NH... IMO I don't recommend moving far away.. It seems like a good idea but really think about it.. Everyone you care about won't be coming with you, won't have any idea whats going on in your life nor you theirs. Unless you experienced I don't think you'll realize how hard and heartbreaking it can be

Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
How far away are you planning to move?

If you are moving from a very bad place to a very great place it is probably worth it. Otherwise I don\'t think the decision should be taken lightly. imho, ymmv.
-Talking about moving from the west coast to midwest. (For affordability and educational oportunities)

-We are talking about leaving somewhere good to somewhere else that is equally good, imo, but with more oportunities and affordablility.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:53 PM

It appears that most people experienced the saying "absense makes the heart grow fonder".

Anyone out there experience releif from getting away and getting a fresh start?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,279 times
Staying near family wasn't something I ever actually thought about doing--I always just planned on moving wherever seemed like the best place at the time. Since I left home for college I haven't lived near my family--it's always been at least a several hours' drive away, or a plane ride away. It was never expected or encouraged that I live near my family and I never really considered it. My hubby and I moved 2 years ago to a place (DC) where we had never been before and knew no one--just for a change of scenery. We love it here but plan to move again soon b/c of the high cost of living. The next place we move we will also know no one I'm sure. It's not something that has ever bothered me--moving to a place where you know no one. My family is small and I see them a few times a year. Same with my hubby.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:06 PM

19 posts, read 72,204 times
There is no place like home. But They say you can't take it with you, this includes family and friends. Some people need people some don't this too includes family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues