U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Proctorsville, VT
52 posts, read 161,320 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

I've noticed some great advice in the Pods thread. But unfortunately Pods doesn't go to Southern Vermont and that's where I'm moving in June, from Atlanta. I have a penske truck reserved but thinking that Upack isn't much more than the cost of the truck plus gas. My husband and I have a 2br apt plus a 10x10 storage unit that will have to fit into the containers. And since the containers measure 6'D x 7'W x 8'H, I was thinking we would need 3? Or maybe go with the Upack 28 foot trailer that they drop off for you to fill and charge you by the foot.

Anyway, how does Upack compare to Pods in serivce and reliability?

What would you guys do?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,307,781 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
I've noticed some great advice in the Pods thread. But unfortunately Pods doesn't go to Southern Vermont and that's where I'm moving in June, from Atlanta. I have a penske truck reserved but thinking that Upack isn't much more than the cost of the truck plus gas. My husband and I have a 2br apt plus a 10x10 storage unit that will have to fit into the containers. And since the containers measure 6'D x 7'W x 8'H, I was thinking we would need 3? Or maybe go with the Upack 28 foot trailer that they drop off for you to fill and charge you by the foot.

Anyway, how does Upack compare to Pods in serivce and reliability?

What would you guys do?

Thanks for your input!
ABF is what we used from Jersey to TN, you pack yourself , they drive,it was reasonable and the drivers we had were terrific!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
 
Location: State of Confusion
86 posts, read 235,021 times
Reputation: 71
Phyll,

I just happened to noticed this thread. I'm considering Missouri to eastern Tennessee. I hadn't thought of using ABF, but it sounds like a good idea. Do they charge by the mile? By the hour? I probably will only have enough that would fill a 10 x 20 storage unit. Any guesstimates?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW / CO / SA TX / Thailand
11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
Reputation: 8137
I doubt if OP has enough stuff to fill and ABF trailer. Typically a 3 bdrm home + garage.

I'd get rid of everything but antiques, ship in a small container and repurchase ONLY necessities in NH (No income tax). I've had two friends move to VT, and really be hammered with Cost of living and taxes, so hopefully you are covering those bases.

Good luck with the move, just keep it simple, you will have much more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
665 posts, read 1,307,781 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinkc View Post
Phyll,

I just happened to noticed this thread. I'm considering Missouri to eastern Tennessee. I hadn't thought of using ABF, but it sounds like a good idea. Do they charge by the mile? By the hour? I probably will only have enough that would fill a 10 x 20 storage unit. Any guesstimates?

Thanks in advance.
They charge by the truckload we moved from South Jersey to East tn ,3 bdrm
house, basement stuff attic ect, it was 1800$. you pay for the amount of the trailer you use, If you call them they will send a video and pamphlet (free)and explain things to you.We found them very helpful and the drivers we had very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Reputation: 16223
My sister her husband just used ABF UPack for a move from NC to mid-Michigan and were VERY happy with the service. I would use them for my upcoming move myself, but I am WAY too far from an ABF terminal to make it cost effective for me. They would have to drive almost 8 hours one way just to drop off and then do it again just to pick the box back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM
 
153 posts, read 336,416 times
Reputation: 33
We're getting ready to use Upack or ABF... seems like a great deal... couple hundred more than a moving van but don't have to pay for gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
51 posts, read 160,439 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamperedrachel View Post
We're getting ready to use Upack or ABF... seems like a great deal... couple hundred more than a moving van but don't have to pay for gas.

I have not heard good things about ABF (breakage) if pods goes to your area, I highly recommend using them, even if they are a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 PM
940
 
Location: Brooklyn Heights, NY & Lake Ariel, PA
13,743 posts, read 5,485,792 times
Reputation: 6722
I just moved from the Dallas/Ft Worth area to Chicago last week and I used ABF...the whole move went smoothly and the cost wasn't bad at all compared to some of the other quotes I had received. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone. They even held my things in storage for a few days until I had closed in Chicago and then they drove them over the next morning where I had hired some guys to unload for me. The driver was great and I'd use them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,042 posts, read 7,930,283 times
Reputation: 4818
What is ABF...what do the initials stand for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top