Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,233 times

Advertisements

Due to high cost of living, we need to move. I know there is no utopia but I believe costs in the South would be better for us, because we cannot even afford the rents in this part of the USA. ($1600 gets you a closet with out even considering pet rent and utilities).

Plus they want a month's rent as a finders fee.

Taxes are insane. Life in this state is not moderate or even bearable for the average working person. Most people do not make the requisite 100,000 dollars to afford a home, let alone rent.

So, we are going to have to join the great migration south. We've moved before and use to living away from friends and family. Our parents would even join us if we found the right spot.

I wonder if anyone can make some suggestions for a family friendly area of the south. I've lurked awhile and read some threads. I would like to hear what you have to say whether by post or private message.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
pretty vague question-I live in PA and like the cold so really can't advise except to suggest you tell us what is important. Schools? country or city? Any special passions like sports or music?There's a lot of places but climate isn't the only consideratin.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Where do you live now?

You could also consider the Midwest or Great Plains if you are looking for cheap.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
The south is generally known for a cheaper cost of living however it is not always true. My husband and I wanted to move to NC for years. The cost of living was cheaper compared to where we lived but also so were the wages. My husband would have taken a huge pay cut and even with the cheaper cost of living, we were going to be in the same boat. We ended up moving to Indiana. Lower cost of living but the wage ended up being higher because my husband's field is in demand here. Back home, he was a dime a dozen.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,411 times
Seems like a lot of people are heading for Texas..

We bought our small suburban "rambler" home outside of Seattle in a small logging town.

For the same price, a family member bought a LARGE mini-mansion outside of Dallas...?

I was shocked!!

Seems like its really affordable, but not sure about fun there...

Old 03-09-2011, 04:43 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
My wife and I bought a 3 BR 2 bath house on an acre lot for $72,000. Our house payment is $625. Couldn't tell you about how much taxes are a year. Our taxes and insurance are in our monthly payment. My step daughter and her husband bought a 3 BR 2 bath with a full basement on 14 acres for $140,000. We're in western Kentucky, about 10 miles from the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River plus a 170,000 acre National Recreation Area. I just looked in out local newspaper (our weekly paper came today) and there is one house listed for rent. 2 BR, 2 bath, near Ky Lake beach and boat dock for $595/month.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,083 times
I would say your best bet would be to check out what areas have a high demand for your job expertise and then check out the local costs of living. It wouldn't do any good to move somewhere with a low cost of living and no jobs available. Find somewhere with jobs that need you and an acceptable cost of living.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Seems like a lot of people are heading for Texas..

We bought our small suburban "rambler" home outside of Seattle in a small logging town.

For the same price, a family member bought a LARGE mini-mansion outside of Dallas...?

I was shocked!!

Seems like its really affordable, but not sure about fun there...
Ask them about their taxes and utilities:>(((

Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The first thing you need to do is fined employemnt before just deciding to move . Then remmeebr that movingitself requires a invewstemnt of money if you have acquired things.You wan to consider all things in a area which pretty much included i costof livig estimates.Soem tax propery other tax income and preperty plus even price are higher in some areas. Never forget fees and other almost heiiden taxes.Even then cost may vary by area of the state you move to. Texas overall is lower than most areas even with property taxes being higher. I live in Teaxas and my overall cost of living is much cheaper than most areas I've lived in. Property taxes are higher but my peoprty would cost more in other areas I lived plus other taxes and fees are lower.I wouldn\'t even have thoguht of buying my preent home in some places I have lived. So just check well on overall cost and have a job first.Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues