U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 13,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiu Hung View Post
We will be driving out of California and heading to Florida sometime in November. The route that we will be taking is the I-40; I-20 and I-10 route through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisianna, Alabame and then Florida. We are planning on tranporting about 20 small plants stored in trash bags and about 4 trees in pot. We will be driving a 22' long Penske truck towing a car on a car carrier. Does anyone have any suggestions to avoid inspection stations throughout this route? We don't want to give up these plants and trees but are very concerned about being stopped at inspection stations. We have talked with some people who have taken similiar trips and most of the responses are positive, except a few which causes us to be very concerned. Anyone has any idea what they require you to do if they find trees and plants in the moving truck? Do they make you get rid of them right at the inspection station, or do they require you to drive to a special dump site to dispose all the plants and trees? Much appreciate any comments or suggestions.
I think you will be fine with your "PLANTS". You will be fine you can't speed anyways the truck is governed at 65. Household rental trucks are exempt from commercial weigh stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,827 times
I too was looking to find the answer. I took the majority advice and decided to stop. This past weekend I took a 16 foot from Florida to Massachusetts and there were a total of 4 weigh stations I had to pull into. 3 of them in Florida and 1 in Virginia. 2 of the 3 in Florida were drive through. You had to maintain 45 MPH and follow the arrows. The third in Florida was the Agricultural station just before you leave the state. This one you have to stop at but it has a lane for rental trucks. I pulled up and the officer stuck his head out the window and said “house hold goods?” to which I politely answered “yes sir”. Without hesitation he gave me a wave and said “have a good day”. I did notice a state trooper at this one sitting in his car, I suspect waiting to see if anyone skips the stop. The weigh station in Virginia was a follow the arrows one also. I came in at the posted 15 MPH speed and a green arrow directed me around the scale to the rest area and out I went. Piece of cake.

So for the whole 1400 mile 24 hour trip the weigh stations cost me maybe 5 minutes total. Hope this helps.

Bob

Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM

280 posts, read 247,876 times
I'll be taking a 22' Penske truck through the weigh-stations in FL. Can my boyfriend follow me through in our Toyota? Don't want to get separated on the trip. Thanks in advance...

Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,695,394 times
You shouldn't have to stop at weigh stations. Not if you are hauling private furniture/cargo and the like. I NEVER have.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 PM

280 posts, read 247,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
You shouldn't have to stop at weigh stations. Not if you are hauling private furniture/cargo and the like. I NEVER have.
I had to ask the local Penske rep a question about paying for tolls in FL and he said that I have to stop at all of them - I'll probably get waved right on through, but the cops will pull me over if I blow past them. So, needless or not, I'll be stopping.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,879,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I have never stopped at one and don't plan on it on my upcoming move.I had asked on a prior move and was told it was only commercial vehicles required to.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,695,394 times
Maybe the laws have changed, I dunno. I used to drive a Penske truck for a company that distributed greenhouse supplies. The company rented the truck so I was required to stop. But while hauling anything for myself in a truck that I rented, no. Recently, I drove a Penske truck from Mena, Arkansas to Amarillo, Texas and then up to Denver, Colorado and never stopped at a set of scales. I was told by Penske that I wasn't required to stop. That's 935 miles thru 5 states.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:28 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,951,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
I had to ask the local Penske rep a question about paying for tolls in FL and he said that I have to stop at all of them - I'll probably get waved right on through, but the cops will pull me over if I blow past them. So, needless or not, I'll be stopping.
Tolls you must pay, but you need not stop @ weigh stations if hauling your personal items or household goods, you are NOT OPERATING A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE FOR HIRE.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,022 times
If I pull into scale and am over weight on my drivers but they green light me through can they issue a ticket later on by mail?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 540 times
Default Penske 26 Foot Truck Tare (Empty) Weights

It's hard to find out the tare weights. Multiple calls to Penske's 1-800 number gave different answers from each person. I was able eventually to talk to someone in the truck service department who could look up the tare weights. The Penske 26 foot ramp truck has a tare weight of 15241 pounds. Tare means no driver, and 10 liters of fuel only, all other fluids toped off. With a 50 gallon tank filled with diesel fuel at 7.5 pounds per gallon and a 200 pound driver, the amount you can put in the back before exceeding the 26000 GVW limit for a non-CDL truck is a bit over 10,000 pounds.

The Penske 26 foot liftgate trucks have a tare weight of 16242 pounds (Freightliner) and 16108 pounds (International), which means the real payload limit of these "10,000 pound" trucks is actually more like 9200 pounds.

Data current as of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues