U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Location: 1. Miami 2.Dallas 3. NEXT!
463 posts, read 1,212,499 times
Reputation: 128

Advertisements

How long should someone give a place to decide whether or not they like it or not? I dont know but sometimes it takes me only a couple weeks to decide if I like it or not.

I stayed in Fort Worth (Ugh) for about 4 months, but by the 3rd week I had already figured I didnt like it. Miami on the other hand...took me about 8 months to realize, even though I didnt hate it, that it wasnt perfect either.

So..Is it fine to be able to know in a few days whether you dont like a place, or should you give it say...4-6 months? What if I dont want to stay someplace for 4-6 months. What if I decide I dont like it within 2 weeks? Is that ok?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2008, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 16,201,261 times
Reputation: 6610
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
How long should someone give a place to decide whether or not they like it or not? I dont know but sometimes it takes me only a couple weeks to decide if I like it or not.

I stayed in Fort Worth (Ugh) for about 4 months, but by the 3rd week I had already figured I didnt like it. Miami on the other hand...took me about 8 months to realize, even though I didnt hate it, that it wasnt perfect either.

So..Is it fine to be able to know in a few days whether you dont like a place, or should you give it say...4-6 months? What if I dont want to stay someplace for 4-6 months. What if I decide I dont like it within 2 weeks? Is that ok?
I guess it depends on the person. I'm a snap decision maker - I usually love something or I hate it right away, which never works out in my favor. So now I use a reverse system - if I hate it or love it immediately I give it some time but if I feel so-so I move on.

That being said, I don't see how you can make a decision like that in 2 weeks. Where can you even do in 2 weeks? I hated Orlando with a passion when I was unemployed and living with my mother but now that I have a job, not worrying about my car being reposses and can walk around naked in my own apartment I hate it not so much
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
 
244 posts, read 746,376 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I guess it depends on the person. I'm a snap decision maker - I usually love something or I hate it right away, which never works out in my favor. So now I use a reverse system - if I hate it or love it immediately I give it some time but if I feel so-so I move on.

That being said, I don't see how you can make a decision like that in 2 weeks. Where can you even do in 2 weeks? I hated Orlando with a passion when I was unemployed and living with my mother but now that I have a job, not worrying about my car being reposses and can walk around naked in my own apartment I hate it not so much

When I lived in Georgia, I did not like it so much when I first got there because I had no job and was living with family. It took me almost two years to get an apartment where I could walk around naked. I never fell "in love" with Georgia, but tolerated it for six years until I realized that I would never settle down there and wanted to experience someplace else new.

I can't give an exact time frame on how long it will take to feel that the place is right for you, UrbaneAspects. I know in my next place, I will try to give it at least a year. But I think you will know that you hate a place when you are ashamed to tell people you live there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2008, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Flyover country
531 posts, read 1,585,425 times
Reputation: 161
I'd give it at least 6 months to a year (Majority of leases are at least 6 months anyway) . I am in that situation now of wanting to move but not knowing if I will be making a mistake or a positive step.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2008, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY native, now living in Houston
663 posts, read 2,037,320 times
Reputation: 201
6 months is probably the norm, but I would say GO WITH YOUR GUT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Here... for now
1,747 posts, read 2,686,637 times
Reputation: 1222
I've moved many times to many different states during my lifetime. I'm fairly adaptable and can get along just about anywhere (so far). Most places I've lived I've been excited about immediately and grew to like even more as time progressed. At the very least, upon moving in, I've been neutral and warmed up eventually.

Not the case at all with "major East Coast City".

I went there expecting to fall in love immediately. Well, the exact opposite happened. Is the opposite of fall in love "fall in disgust" ? I knew within days that this was a BIG mistake. It wasn't just my disgusting, way-too-small apartment. It had roaches EVERYWHERE, including in the refrigerator and shower. Ick.

I hated just existing in the City. Overcrowded. Smelly. Nasty dirty. Expensive. Aside from the people (most of whom were friendly, funny and quite genuine, contrary to the stereotype of gruff big-city-folk), I found absolutely nothing appealing about the place. I started making arrangements to get out after two weeks. In under 2 months, I was gone.

I've visited many times since then. Enjoyed my visits, but each one has reinforced my feeling that it is NOT a place I'd ever want to live again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 11:38 AM
 
Location: 1. Miami 2.Dallas 3. NEXT!
463 posts, read 1,212,499 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I've moved many times to many different states during my lifetime. I'm fairly adaptable and can get along just about anywhere (so far). Most places I've lived I've been excited about immediately and grew to like even more as time progressed. At the very least, upon moving in, I've been neutral and warmed up eventually.

Not the case at all with "major East Coast City".

I went there expecting to fall in love immediately. Well, the exact opposite happened. Is the opposite of fall in love "fall in disgust" ? I knew within days that this was a BIG mistake. It wasn't just my disgusting, way-too-small apartment. It had roaches EVERYWHERE, including in the refrigerator and shower. Ick.

I hated just existing in the City. Overcrowded. Smelly. Nasty dirty. Expensive. Aside from the people (most of whom were friendly, funny and quite genuine, contrary to the stereotype of gruff big-city-folk), I found absolutely nothing appealing about the place. I started making arrangements to get out after two weeks. In under 2 months, I was gone.

I've visited many times since then. Enjoyed my visits, but each one has reinforced my feeling that it is NOT a place I'd ever want to live again.
ugh, that is so nasty. I wonder what city that was?

I dont know, from what I read some other threads i now feel better about moving around knowing that I can wherever I want.

I heard stories from people that moved. then moved back. and then realized they made a mistake! a moved again! I thought I was crazy lol.

No i dont think its crazy, but very real. I am actually glad to hear people have similar issues as that I was able to relate and say I am going thru a similar scenario
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Cosmic Consciousness
3,871 posts, read 15,508,364 times
Reputation: 2637
If you know yourself, 3 weeks. If you're less certain of who you are, 3 months.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,225,310 times
Reputation: 3346
It took me two weeks to find out that I would and did like Greater Cincinnati.

It took me two weeks to find out that I would and did dislike Louisville, KY.

When I was in sixth grade, I woke up and realized that my hometown sucks. That was ten years ago; the more I'm here, the more I slowly but surely grow very disgusted with it.

I'm confident I would like Texas, Chicago, or Atlanta; of course, I can only find out by moving to one of those places.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM
 
Location: SD
896 posts, read 3,926,084 times
Reputation: 343
I always try to suck it up for 9 months to a year. Usually by the one year mark, I'll have forgotten my original misgivings!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top