Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving back, tell me your stories about apartment movers, moving companies, cross country and international moving. I'm looking for an affordable option to move my furniture.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times

Advertisements

I moved to Oklahoma three months ago from California, and love it here. But while I knew I didn't want to go back to cali, I didn't call this home either. Until the last couple of weeks.

I took the train back to cali for Thanksgiving. Two days on a train full of ex-californians going back to see the family Interestingly everyone said about the same things about why they left and how they don't want to move back. It was fun, kind of like a transplant support group lol

But once I got there it hit, the difference. The town I used to live in is still the same, all the good and bad places, but while the memories are there there is this fine line of seperation. They ARE memories, and will always be there but I'm PAST them now. I noticed how once we hit the smog my eyes burned and I was short of breath, how people were so rude, how crowded everything was. I thought of how much I love the open space and trees and neighbors who offered to help when I moved even if they didn't know me at all.

I started calling OK home. Wow, took going away to get the idea.

Everyone said I was so much more relaxed and mellowed out. But being rather empathetic I noticed how crowded everything seemed to be. The convention I went to over the weekend, a science fiction con I've been too for the last twenty years, was the best in a long time since I didn't come with all the stress of the usual. And I got sooo tired of being asked why I'd move to OK, sigh....

Getting HOME was the greatest, even if I'm sooo tired. The suitcase is still unpacked and the mess I left in the last minute rush is still there. But my nice nest er bed is so comfortable and my critters won't let me out of their sight.

Anyone else had that sudden realization of where home is when you left for a visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 AM

635 posts, read 1,684,078 times
Not yet, but we're from CA and will be doing the same thing next month. I'm already feeling a little of what you feel in that I'm not looking forward to the rush, rush, smog, crowds, freeway insanity, but somehow I miss 'something'. Maybe its the mountains (that I never had time to fully enjoy b/c of the fast pace), or the beaches (which we barely went to) or the just 'the look' and 'feel' of CA and the great variety of choices of things to do, places to eat, places to go, cultures to be around, but it was my home for 25 years so I will see 'what' it is that I miss when we go back to move our stuff back here to TN. Friends have told me that its changed so much. Im curious to know if I will still call it home. I definitely need to get a critter upon our return -- I've always had a few critters.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM

884 posts, read 2,638,215 times
I went through this last year when I went back to Cin,Oh from Maryland. I missed home and just being really familiar with where I am. I am the kind of person that gets lost real fast so moving was so unsettling for a long time. I STILL don't venture into DC without the hubby unless I take the train!.

I miss home but it did not 'feel' like home to me. There were a few things that happened that I did not miss. (like the cop running my tags-as soon as I got within city limits)

Old 12-26-2008, 07:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,209,589 times
It was wierd. It was a place I knew and remembered and belonged to, sort of. But it was once removed. There are a few things I missed but none of them mattered as much as the stuff I gained. I noticed the smog as soon as we got there, and could have done without the bus ride back to my inlaws from downtown LA where not even the bus driver spoke English.

So much for Greyhound.

The nicest part was on the way back I clearly knew I was going home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues