U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 06:42 PM

175 posts, read 1,328,561 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody-- I'm calling various moving companies to ask about hiring a couple of strong guys for a couple of hours to help me load an ABF-U-pack 28'trailer (the heavy stuff, refridge, washer/dryer, etc). Has anyone ever done this? What happens if they dropped or damaged your stuff when they were loading up the truck? Do most places cover this? or are you stuck with the damaged goods? I'm getting confusing feedback from the places I call...just wondered if anyone had experience doing this. What should I watch out for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,664,057 times
Any company that has liabilty will be gald to give you a copy .Also check each out with teh BBB. A low price should signal a alarm. Unless they have insruance it is like afreind that helps you and breaks something;your out.Also you may want to check that they carry workman's comp.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 PM

983 posts, read 4,089,361 times
Used ABF U Pack moving before, great company and great prices. But can't help with the other part cause I used friends to help.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM

947 posts, read 3,240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hey everybody-- I'm calling various moving companies to ask about hiring a couple of strong guys for a couple of hours to help me load an ABF-U-pack 28'trailer (the heavy stuff, refridge, washer/dryer, etc). Has anyone ever done this? What happens if they dropped or damaged your stuff when they were loading up the truck? Do most places cover this? or are you stuck with the damaged goods? I'm getting confusing feedback from the places I call...just wondered if anyone had experience doing this. What should I watch out for?
When our radio station needed to ship a Harris MW5, a 5000 Watt AM Broadcast Transmitter (about 6 1/2 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet wide, 3 feet deep weighing about 2 tons!) from Florida to New Hampshire, we had a professional moving crew come and pick it up.

Any professional crew will be insured/bonded against damage or loss............ and trust me, there were been more then just a transmtiter broken if it had dropped, more like some toes or feet, lol.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 31,050 times
Default Moving Insurance

I would suggest as any time you move to call your own insurance company and take out extra insurance, this is usually no problem if you have homeowners insurance. remember sometimes there is hidden damage so always inspect before signing on the dotted line...

Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 PM

71 posts, read 461,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
In this case, the only damage a moving company will pay for is if the damage happens while they are handling it between the house and the truck. That is unlikely and infrequent. If the damage occurs in transit because of faulty loading or whatever, the moving company will not pay the claim.

Please keep in mind, movers do not offer insurance. Only insurance companies offer insurance. What movers offer is "valuation". There is significant difference. Insurance is all risk. Valuation is only coverage due to movers negligence while it is in a movers possession. Any transit damage while you are driving will not be their responsibility. Even if you took out their extra coverage, they still would not pay for damage in transit in your situation.

By the way, all licensed movers offer liability "insurance". It is technically valuation that covers damage up to .60 per pound per article. That is garbage money. If the mover dropped a 100 lb TV, they would give you $60 for it. Also another poster mentioned the benefit of worker's comp. This is big in case they fall or get hurt in your house, they can't sue you for the medical bills.

Good luck. I would recommend if you are going to hire movers to load and unload the truck, check to see if you can hire a couple of their guys off the clock and pay them in cash. You will save yourself a lot of money and have the same benefits of hiring the company in regards to coverage for damage.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,621,583 times
In the few times I moved, I had friends help me. They helped me for free (or just a meal and some beer), but you have to accept any damage that might come your way. I only have a few pieces of furniture that have any value, so it's not a big deal for me. Much of my stuff is old hand-me-downs or a hodge-podge of stuff I bought on the final days at Montgomery Wards when they bit the dust.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,412 times
Usually moving companies assume liability for your items up to a value of $0.60 per pound per article(this is at no extra charge). Also check with your homeowner or renter insurance agency if your household goods are covered during the move . There is a very helpful info on that site, read it
Moving Insurance Tips by Movers Corp. How to Protect Your Belongings and Property

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM

521 posts, read 3,927,422 times
Under the common law principle known as the “borrowed servant doctrine” (or borrowed servant rule} “the employer of a borrowed employee, rather than the employee’s regular employer, is liable for the employee’s actions that occur while the employee is under the control of the temporary employer.” You’ll find a good discussion here.

Essentially this means that as the temporary employer, a homeowner assumes all monetary liability for property damage, property loss, or bodily injury that occur when they hire someone to work for them. It’s a good idea to check your homeowner policy to see if it covers worker’s compensation claims.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues