Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2023, 09:36 AM

421 posts, read 423,495 times

Advertisements

If I need to move from CT to GA, which is better?
1) hire a local moving company in CT
2) hire a moving company in GA
3) doesn't matter where to hire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 09:54 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensky View Post
If I need to move from CT to GA, which is better?
1) hire a local moving company in CT
2) hire a moving company in GA
3) doesn't matter where to hire
Hire a national moving company with a location in CT.

If you hire a moving company in GA, you'll have to pay for the truck to come to CT and back down to GA. It doesn't make sense.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Hire a national moving company with a location in CT.

If you hire a moving company in GA, you'll have to pay for the truck to come to CT and back down to GA. It doesn't make sense.
oh! I didn't know!
which is better?

United Van Lines: United Van Lines is one of the largest moving companies in the world, with a network of more than 300 agents across the United States. They have a location in Windsor, CT.

Mayflower: Mayflower is another large moving company with a long history of providing high-quality moving services. They have a location in Berlin, CT.

Allied Van Lines: Allied Van Lines is a full-service moving company with more than 85 years of experience in the industry. They have a location in North Haven, CT.

North American Van Lines: North American Van Lines is a global moving company with a network of more than 500 agents in North America. They have a location in Berlin, CT.

Two Men and a Truck: Two Men and a Truck is a nationwide moving company that specializes in local and long-distance moves. They have a location in Newington, CT.

College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving: College Hunks Hauling Junk & Moving is a moving company that provides a range of moving services, including packing, loading, unloading, and unpacking. They have a location in Hamden, CT, which is about 10 miles north of New Haven.

Gentle Giant Moving Company: Gentle Giant Moving Company is a moving company that specializes in local and long-distance moves. They have a location in Windsor, CT, which is about 40 miles north of New Haven.

All My Sons Moving & Storage: All My Sons Moving & Storage is a full-service moving company that provides packing, loading, and unloading services. They have a location in Stratford, CT, which is about 15 miles southeast of New Haven.

Last edited by goldensky; 02-15-2023 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-15-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
oh! I didn't know!
Could you please let me know what are those national trustful and best moving companies, just 2 names?
I've used United Van Lines three times for cross country moves. I was happy with their service.

I've also unhappily used All My Sons and was unhappy. There was a lack of professionalism.

Whoever you chose, find out how the mover prevents bedbugs spreading. Do they spray between trips? Do they wrap rugs and sofa/chairs in plastic (prevent bugs from entering cushions)?

Will your move be the only move in the van? Will they pack the truck with another person's furniture? Other people's boxes and furniture may spread bugs - silverfish, cockroaches, bedbugs, etc.

The company places stickers on your boxes, but I would number your boxes on all 6 sides with a marker. Make a list for yourself of what's in each box. If a box gets lost, you'll know what's missing. Make a couple of boxes of things you need immediately. Mark them as open first.

You may want to line paper boxes with plastic garbage bags so the contends doesn't get dusty from the box. Wrap anything will a liquid in its own ziplock bag and tape the top. You can't ship batteries so remove them before packing.

Find out how long your shipment will take. I had to wait a week for a moving truck to travel from NYC to Texas.

A friend refused to purchase boxes. He used liquor store boxes until the moving company said, let us pack and we'll give you free boxes. Free, Free Free!!! Well, the cost of the packing was huge!

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I've used United Van Lines three times for cross country moves. I was happy with their service.

I've also unhappily used All My Sons and was unhappy. There was a lack of professionalism.

Whoever you chose, find out how the mover prevents bedbugs spreading. Do they spray between trips? Do they wrap rugs and sofa/chairs in plastic (prevent bugs from entering cushions)?

Will your move be the only move in the van? Will they pack the truck with another person's furniture? Other people's boxes and furniture may spread bugs - silverfish, cockroaches, bedbugs, etc.

The company places stickers on your boxes, but I would number your boxes on all 6 sides with a marker. Make a list for yourself of what's in each box. If a box gets lost, you'll know what's missing. Make a couple of boxes of things you need immediately. Mark them as open first.

You may want to line paper boxes with plastic garbage bags so the contends doesn't get dusty from the box. Wrap anything will a liquid in its own ziplock bag and tape the top. You can't ship batteries so remove them before packing.

Find out how long your shipment will take. I had to wait a week for a moving truck to travel from NYC to Texas.

A friend refused to purchase boxes. He used liquor store boxes until the moving company said, let us pack and we'll give you free boxes. Free, Free Free!!! Well, the cost of the packing was huge!

Good luck!
Thanks

Old 02-15-2023, 11:49 PM

537 posts, read 445,568 times
I know a family that owns the United Moving franchise for 17 cities.

The truck driver owns his truck and he hires the movers. The van line just owns the trailer and do marketing for the driver. If more labor is needed than they have (on a big move), the van line company rents loaders to assist the driver.

The driver is liable for any damages intransit. And the moving companies commonly hold back money from the move for 6 months to give the customer time to make a claim--if any. Then they pay the driver in full.

I would assume the move is charged by the poundage and by the distance in miles.

It all depends on how much you've got to move. When I last moved to Atlanta in 1992, we had as much stuff as three families averaged at the time. The move was $20K.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
I know a family that owns the United Moving franchise for 17 cities.

The truck driver owns his truck and he hires the movers. The van line just owns the trailer and do marketing for the driver. If more labor is needed than they have (on a big move), the van line company rents loaders to assist the driver.

The driver is liable for any damages intransit. And the moving companies commonly hold back money from the move for 6 months to give the customer time to make a claim--if any. Then they pay the driver in full.

I would assume the move is charged by the poundage and by the distance in miles.

It all depends on how much you've got to move. When I last moved to Atlanta in 1992, we had as much stuff as three families averaged at the time. The move was $20K.
mine is just 2 bed rooms stuffs, not much but more than 16 feet POD container..

Old 02-16-2023, 08:29 AM

How much would it cost to move from Connecticut to GA? We plan to use a large moving company and have about two rooms of furniture and stuffs.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
How much would it cost to move from Connecticut to GA? We plan to use a large moving company and have about two rooms of furniture and stuffs.
No one knows until someone looks at your furniture and estimates its weight.

Ikea furniture is lightweight and real wood is heavy.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:44 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:

Good luck!
One thing I did that was helpful way to buy some brightly colored tape and put a strip on the box to indicate where it went. Everything pink stayed in the garage. Everything green went in the kitchen. Etc. In a glance I could tell if things were in the right place and it made it easier for the movers. I also labeled and numbered the boxes. The tape was just an added convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues