Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 7,877 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions on how to move from the Boston area to SC. I am a bit overwhelmed by it all. My husband and I hope to sell our house shortly and drive with 2 cats and one dog to the Fort Mill area. We plan to rent a house for a short period of time while we look to buy a home. We do have a realtor that we will be working with.

What is the best way to move a houseful of furniture? Pods? Moving company? We plan not to take a lot of our furniture but we have about 200 boxes to move. Then it would need to be stored until we can purchase a house which will get expensive. We may need 2 pods, one that will contain the items that are not being used right away and one that will hold the items that we will need when we arrive.

Any suggestions which companies to use or how to manage this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 12:41 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Pods.

& Don't be afraid to be mercenary when sorting through stored items.

Have a yard sale and celebrate getting to relocate and gift others your unwanted material items for a few greenbacks.

Also carefully wrap any glassware. Much to my irritation my ex let our drunk enfeebled neighbor handle some of our moving boxes and he shattered some glassware I wanted to keep. I am not the kind of person who bullies dim old men so I let it go, but I was seething internally.

Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:17 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
I rented a U Haul when we moved the last 2 times. I had to put stuff in storage for a month close to our old house, but I later went back to pick it all up.

But now that I'm of retirement age, we have no moves left in us.

It all depends on how much furniture there is to move. When I moved in 1992, my company paid $20K to pack us and move 250 miles.

Our next dilemma will be what to do with a big house full of furniture after one of us passes. We also have a lake house full of furniture.

Like I say, it depends on how much you have to move. I cannot imagine 200 boxes in a house move, however.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupie View Post
We plan to rent a house for a short period of time while we look to buy a home.
What is the best way to move a houseful of furniture? Pods? Moving company?
Moving and Storage Companies. Emphasis on storage.

Leave it all in storage while you live in a FURNISHED home.
It'll be like camping. Will focus you on job #1. The search & buy.

If you can rid yourselves of all that won't fit into a POD...
then they will serve well for the duration of your storage needs too.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
200 boxes... of what exactly? Down size your book collection to nearly nothing. Don't move more than one set of dishes. If you have China you never use them lose it, or make that your one set and USE IT.

Instead of packing paper use linens, towels, seasonal clothing.

Things are high these days but there are services that will bid on moves. They fit you in when they can and you'll get the lowest price possible. I hope I never drive another uhaul/penske.

Old 05-07-2023, 06:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Oh! What are you driving with the pets? A dish pan of kitty litter will fit in the floorboard.

Try to leash train your cats at least to tolerate the harness. Ignore the yowling. This too shall pass.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:43 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:

What is the best way to move a houseful of furniture? Pods? Moving company? We plan not to take a lot of our furniture but we have about 200 boxes to move. Then it would need to be stored until we can purchase a house which will get expensive. We may need 2 pods, one that will contain the items that are not being used right away and one that will hold the items that we will need when we arrive.
I think the best way is to get one of the major van lines like United, Bekins or Mayflower to take care of it. However its not close to being the cheapest way.

There are mixed reviews on pods. I have no experience with pods but I would be hesitant to use them for a long distance move. I might use them for a local move.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/pods.html

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/pods.com?page=2

Quote:
Any suggestions which companies to use or how to manage this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I suggest labeling every box on at least two sides so one can tell what is in it no matter how it is stacked. Also number the boxes and keep a notebook reference of the approximate contents.

You can have the movers store your items or you can rent a self storage unit. The mover storage will be more expensive but less work. Self storage will allow you to bring home a few boxes at a time as needed. It will also allow you to add more items into storage.

If you go the self storage route I would secure the unit ahead of your move so its ready for unloading into by movers.

There are a lot of below average self storage facilities out there. I recommend reading online reviews to help find the best ones.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...=ft+mill%2C+sc

Also look for a facility that is easy to get into with a moving big truck. If you have ground floor storage its a good idea to store your boxes on pallets or at least get a plastic sheet to cover the concrete floor.

Also when you go to rent storage have a copy of the declarations page of your renters insurance policy with you. Many self storage places will add on very overpriced insurance if you do not have your own insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Leave it all in storage while you live in a FURNISHED home.
It is very to difficult to find a furnished home in most places that is not student housing or short term corporate apartments. Three pets might also be an issue in a furnished apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Down size your book collection to nearly nothing.
I would never ever do that. I treasure my book collection!

Old 05-09-2023, 10:20 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
Easiest is to pay someone to do your move for you, i.e. the big moving companies. If you go this route it's best to use the national carriers since you are changing states. There are a lot of 'fly by night" moving companies out there, and many are just frauds trying to get your deposit payment, and then provide nothing more... or tack on fees if they do show up at all.

We used U-Pack boxes for a move from South Dakota to Idaho. Worked really well for us. PODS likely would have done well too, but they didn't operate in that part of South Dakota. Anyway, the dealer will help you estimate how many PODS/U-Pack units you'll need. 200 boxes and some furniture will likely take more than 2 PODS/U-Packs units. It will be cheaper to go this route, but much more work on your part.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:49 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Pods and go through your stuff. 200 boxes is insane

Old 05-10-2023, 04:37 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Pods and go through your stuff. 200 boxes is insane
200 boxes seems like a very minimum move to me. When I moved from New Jersey to California I had around 400 boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues