Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
So right I moved away and lasted 11 months, I was young immature and my husbands job at the time (cop) was tearing us apart. I moved back and it took me maybe 5 months to hate the place i came from all over again for all the same reasons. Now that I have a kid I esp wanna move to a smaller town with less crime
I was a Police Officer too, I don't know if that has anything to do with inability to fit back in. Have you noticed that everything seems smaller and narrower? Made me wonder how I could ever have lived there

Old 10-08-2011, 12:10 PM

130 posts, read 317,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Alyx_Vance, just move now. Don't wait until 2012. If you really feel as passionately as you write, then just go.
I would gladly do it right this instant, but a few things stop me: my boyfriend and our lack of extra money. I'm using this time to save up money and I'm saving every spare penny I can! I've already begun cleaning to reduce what we have to what we need so that I can pack easier and save money on the size of the moving van.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
I moved to Texas in about March 2009 (wow, can't believe it was that long ago), I was alright for a few months as I soaked in the new surroundings, but it didn't take long for that to wear off. I knew I would be homesick, but I didn't know just how bad it would hurt or how long it would last. I sit here now still feeling wrecked from homesickness. I will cry 2-3 times a week, I've lost interest in some of the things I once enjoyed, I feel that life is empty and pointless, I've become grouchy and selfish; my heart has hardened. When I first arrived here my family would call regularly and send me emails, but now I no longer receive their emails and my dad or grandmother may call 1 time a week if even that much. I feel as though they've forgotten me. On my birthday I cried and cried all day, when my family called I could only cry. It was enough. I was tired of the heat, tired of the ridiculous electricity bills, tired of the huge American roaches, tired of the never-ending highways, tired of the scenery of fast food joints, tired of the bleeding sun that's always there, hanging in the sky, vomiting it's heat and intense brightness, tired of the clay soil staining things with it's alien orange color, tired of everywhere being littered with people packed like sardines in this suffocating big business hellhole, tired, tired tired, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED.

I miss Pennsylvania, I miss it's moody weather, I miss it's gentle sun, I miss it's painted skies, I miss the delicate hills that cradled those living in the valley, I miss the river that changed as often as a womans temperament, I miss the small town I came from, I miss solitude, I miss the familiar scents in the air, I miss the local customs, I miss the seasons, I miss the chocolate colored soil, I miss the feelings I once had.

Come hell or high water I'm moving back there in 2012. I can't take another year here. I won't take another year here.

I mean no insult to anyone of Texas. I know you love your state dearly and I respect that, but please understand I miss home, just as you would miss Texas if you moved away.
You sound a lot like how I feel, only I'm in FL. I grew up here, left in 2006, and then made the mistake of moving back "home" in 2010. I miss the seasons (once you get a feel for them, they are kind of nice!). I really think I have reverse S.A.D.D. here - tired of just day after day of blinding sun and heat. I long for a rainy, cloudy day!

I hope you get to PA soon. I have relatives up there and they love that cloudy weather too! (my sister in law calls it Harry Potter weather)

I don't see how anyone could live in TX, or AZ for that matter.

I have a friend who grew up in MA, then moved to FL, then back to MA, and finally to Phoenix. They say they love it in AZ, so I guess it worked out.

This economy is making moves a lot more challenging (and risky), but at some point you have to get where you want to be and then worry about making it work. Why waste time in a horrible place? We just sold our house so that we can move forward with our plan for a final move. We have kids, so we can't just up and leave, but if my husband gets laid off (again) in June, we have nothing to lose!

Best of luck to you - I hope it works out and soon!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
You sound a lot like how I feel, only I'm in FL. I grew up here, left in 2006, and then made the mistake of moving back "home" in 2010. I miss the seasons (once you get a feel for them, they are kind of nice!). I really think I have reverse S.A.D.D. here - tired of just day after day of blinding sun and heat. I long for a rainy, cloudy day!

I hope you get to PA soon. I have relatives up there and they love that cloudy weather too! (my sister in law calls it Harry Potter weather)

I don't see how anyone could live in TX, or AZ for that matter.

I have a friend who grew up in MA, then moved to FL, then back to MA, and finally to Phoenix. They say they love it in AZ, so I guess it worked out.

This economy is making moves a lot more challenging (and risky), but at some point you have to get where you want to be and then worry about making it work. Why waste time in a horrible place? We just sold our house so that we can move forward with our plan for a final move. We have kids, so we can't just up and leave, but if my husband gets laid off (again) in June, we have nothing to lose!

Best of luck to you - I hope it works out and soon!
It's so nice to see someone who appreciates the cloudy weather! Day after day after day of sun is so tiring isn't it? I too have family in Florida, they seem to enjoy it there, but work is apparently hard to come by for them, then again where isn't it hard to come by.

At this point, I really don't care if things are worse up north, at least I would be home and at least I would be near family and moreover I would be happy again. It really isn't worth living somewhere if you are unhappy everyday.

It's nice to see your husband is supporting you. I hope you and your family can move to where you will all be happy and that you all have a safe journey. Hopefully next year at this time you will be where your heart is content.

Thank you very much for the well-wishes

Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
so, is the bf up for moving to PA too, or will this involve a breakup?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:57 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,277 times
Alyx_Vance, your story really moved me,and made me sad. I hope you get to go home sooner than planned. If you have free time, I hope you do some writing, a book on life experiences would be great. I say this because your posts are a work of art. What a way with words you have! While sad, your 1st post was stunningly beautiful, and worthy of reading twice. You have a gift that might help you get "home" faster than hoped. My cousin writes like you, and makes a decent living at it, selling stories on-line. Something to think about. If you write a book, I'll gladly buy the 1st copy. Good luck & hope you keep us updated. I want to know you & your bf make it home.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
so, is the bf up for moving to PA too, or will this involve a breakup?
He has stated he has every intention to move up north. He is a very well-meaning man but also very slow and one that will wait until the last moment to do something. He is the strength and I am the gears with which everything moves. He also has family up north so this would allow him to be closer to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Alyx_Vance, your story really moved me,and made me sad. I hope you get to go home sooner than planned. If you have free time, I hope you do some writing, a book on life experiences would be great. I say this because your posts are a work of art. What a way with words you have! While sad, your 1st post was stunningly beautiful, and worthy of reading twice. You have a gift that might help you get "home" faster than hoped. My cousin writes like you, and makes a decent living at it, selling stories on-line. Something to think about. If you write a book, I'll gladly buy the 1st copy. Good luck & hope you keep us updated. I want to know you & your bf make it home.
I don't think I've ever had such kind words directed at me. Every word filled my heart with such warmth. To be able to move someone is something I have always wanted to do, but every effort I had made had always ended in failure. I can't possibly thank you enough for such kindness. I will take your ideas into consideration, most definately! I will let you know if we make it back home, most assuredly I will be trumpeting that from the mountains!

Thank you so much, I sincerely appreciate it

Old 10-14-2011, 11:47 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,277 times
Awww, your welcome, and I truly mean it. Your post was the most stunning post I've ever read. It takes a true talent to make the reader feel they are "there", in your place/situation. Thanks for the update!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,496 times
I agree with breeinmo allyx your post was very moving. It reminded me of why I left Atlanta Georgia...I was too tired of the heat and the city was growing so much I just couldnt keep up with it.It was draining me day by day. I moved up north with my husband and while I do like it...I am home sick because all my family is in atlanta. But my life is so much better here in michigan.. and as far as jobs. Believe me there are jobs out there you just have to trust in god to lead you in the right direction. And life is too short to remain stuck in a place where you are unhappy. If you are serious about moving set a date and stick with it. And take your journey back to your family

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM

275 posts, read 836,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post

I don't think I've ever had such kind words directed at me. Every word filled my heart with such warmth.

how is that possible?! i was thinking the same thing when i read your post--that you must be a writer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues