Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 06:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I agree with ya, its so beautiful there. And the folks are downright pleasant people. In fact, thats one of the places Im pondering settling in a few years, but nothing set in stone yet as to exactly where. Definately OK is one of them though.
The more some try to discourage me ("oh, thats tornado country out there") the more I want to go just because. So what, ya dont like it, dont go, its that simple! Heck, Calif is earthquake country and its not like those natural disasters happen every single day. Ive know of people wh have lived in OK for years and their town hasnt been hit once. Maybe a nearby town only once, but not theirs.
Well, with tornados you need a storm. Here the weather is easy to see. Hours before storms get here every show is interrupted with reports telling you where it is. You'll know in advance if there is a watch. Quakes give you maybe a second warning.

Keep us in mind. Its a whole different world than california but in a good way.

Discovered there is a storm shelter in the house behind mine.

Lightening is beautiful. Don't try to stand on the porch and take pictures in the rain. Not good for cameras.

The Big One will take out half of socal. All at once.

If you have the typical california attitude about quakes you'll perfectly understand the typical attitude about tornados.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 PM

215 posts, read 976,579 times
Great Post - It took me 18 months to get back to California from the UK :-D I'm here to stay and I'm not eva leaving again .....

Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
I finally got moved out of California and my husband wanted to come back so when I had a health issue we ended up back here after being away for 2 years. I just bought a house to get BACK out of here again to the midwest. We've been back here in Ca. now for I think it's been 3 long long years and I can't wait to get out again!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:16 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.
One year. To the week! We had lived in Oregon for three years, loved it, and then moved to the Seattle, WA area for husbands job. We thought that since we were still going to be in the Pacific Northwest that it wouldn't be that much different. We expected the things you normally expect when you move from a smaller city to a much larger city. Anyway, it was horrible. I won't go into it... but it was truly a learning experience. We moved back to Oregon exactly a year later. We even moved back to the same street we lived on before!

Also - I am from TX. We moved away from TX in 2003. "Escaped" more like it. I'm a native Texan, and I can't even stand it there. I don't blame you for wanting to go back to where you came from. That place has cheap housing costs for a reason - you get what you pay for.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
I moved or was moved by employers out of my home state 14 times in my life so far. I hope this last time I moved back, is the last. Ha,ha.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 AM

85 posts, read 269,986 times
I moved from Las Vegas, NV to Massachusetts July 2008 after leaving Massachusetts back in 1999. I couldn't wait to get out of Vegas, but as soon as I got off the exit into the town I would be calling home I knew I made a huge mistake. Now 8 months later, I am moving back to Las Vegas and I couldn't be happier.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Hope this question makes sense. I am wondering if anyone moved to one place, realized it really wasn't their cup of tea and then moved back to the original place ... and what was the timeframe?

It's been almost 4 months for me and I am ready to bolt back to NY faster than a speeding bullet. I have never been this depressed following a move in my life. I hate to not give TX more time, but I am just not crazy about big cities, oppressive heat, and horrible traffic.

19 years
Of all the places I've lived, I'm back where I started- home.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM

44 posts, read 134,016 times
2.5 years, first to Phoenix, then SanFran Bay area.

Moving back to fort worth in three weeks!

Won't be moving for a long while...now just have to find a job.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM

18 posts, read 114,578 times
Moved to Tampa, FL in 7/07. Moving back to CT in 4/09.

Love the area and love what the place has to offer, but my job was horrible down here. And thanks to the economy, I can't find anything else down. Overall, it feels good, but it doesn't feel right. So back I go. I have no regrets about moving to FL, I learned a lot about the area and a lot about myself. I will miss my GF so much though

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,599 times
This is interesting for me to read...my hubby and I are planning on moving in May 2010 to Virginia from Ohio. We couldn't be happier to move.

I have told him that I know I will miss my family and friends, but we are going to stick it out there for a while no matter what. We both believe we will have to give the new place a chance. We also are not anticipating it to be like Ohio. We want the change of scenery, better job market (we are teachers...well, I graduate in December) and a small, safe city to live in!

So...we have about a year, and it seems like next May will never get here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues