Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times

Advertisements

I grew up within 6 miles of where I live now. I did spend 2 years in Iowa back in the mid 1980's knowing that at the end of the 2 years I would be back home. Because of the high cost of housing we had planned on following my parents and brother and sisters to Arizona. (Hence the name, Soon2bnSurprise as in the city of Surprise, Arizona.) After a lot of visits we realized that we don't like the heat as much as my parents do. For them it is because of health reasons that they seem to thrive out there in the Arizona heat. We love the ocean breazes and being able to be near the Pacific. I just can't imagine living some place else and am happy we stayed. Happy more that the home prices declined here where we live. Bought a $700,000 home last year and paid $310,000. LOL It had increased in value to that point at one time. LOL I hope you all find what you are looking for. For us it was always where we were from and that is where we will stay.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
I am from NY, Long Island and moved out in 96. I will never go back there to live. It is too crowded, too expensive and basically too many of the people remind me of hamsters running on their little wheel and getting nowhere. I have lived in FL, NC, and TN for years. TN is my heart. I will always have a home in TN. Now for my gypsy blood. I hate being in any one place more than 6 months. Ideally I would like to do 4/4/4. Split my time between TN, Hawaii, and FL...and maybe add in Maine also during the high heat of the summer

Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
I move every 4-5 years and have found going back a disappointment. Moving on.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:30 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I moved away from where I am currently, over 15 years ago. Came back for a better job, and it has worked out great. I have made contacts with people I knew before, who are now a professional network. I never thought I would come back, but now that I have, I am glad....maybe I never should have left.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 AM

313 posts, read 727,775 times
Born and raised in San Diego, CA. but left several times. We lived in San Francisco (DH got a job there) in 2005, I LOVED it there, it felt like home from day one, and I would have happily stayed there in San Franscisco forever - but not a lot of luck for me job hunting, and my DH's job got to be a problem. Then I got a great job offer back in San Diego, so I took it and we moved home. Then the 2009 lay offs came. San Diego is $$$$$$$$$$ and without that great job - had to leave again. Now in Boston in a house I could not even glance at for this price in San Diego. I miss home (San Diego) a lot, but I simply can't afford to live there. It is what it is If I win lotto....

Old 10-06-2011, 11:21 AM

89 posts, read 291,214 times
Another great thread...I'm sure I sound like a broken record to some, but I feel so confused on my current living situation. Have been in southeast IA for 6 years now because this is where my husband got a job. We are from rural SD and there are no opportunities there for him. We have made good friends; but that is about the only thing I like about this place. I am wanting to move to the Rochester, MN area because of more job opportunity for the both of us, and to be half the distance closer to our families. Then I wonder is it just because I hate my current job and hate being so far away from my family? When I get my bachelors next summer and hopefully get a different job would I be happier here? It just does not feel like "home".

I think my husband is open to the idea of moving- but he is much more realistic and worried about how he would like his new place of employment, and of course dealing with the stress of trying to sell our current home, and buy again.

Then what if the new place still doesn't feel like home? Is my 3 year old going to be traumatized because she has so many friends here?! I know this is up to my husband and I...but these feelings and questions are consuming my every day life...and it's depressing.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1628 View Post

Then what if the new place still doesn't feel like home? Is my 3 year old going to be traumatized because she has so many friends here?! I know this is up to my husband and I...but these feelings and questions are consuming my every day life...and it's depressing.
I think little kids can adapt to change better than adults can. She'll take the cue from you if you move--if you adjust and feel better, she will, too. They're little sponges, absorbing everything around them--good or bad. I think it's only a problem if a family moves and uproots again and again and again. Then, it threatens their security, roots all of that.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:36 PM

130 posts, read 317,215 times
I moved to Texas in about March 2009 (wow, can't believe it was that long ago), I was alright for a few months as I soaked in the new surroundings, but it didn't take long for that to wear off. I knew I would be homesick, but I didn't know just how bad it would hurt or how long it would last. I sit here now still feeling wrecked from homesickness. I will cry 2-3 times a week, I've lost interest in some of the things I once enjoyed, I feel that life is empty and pointless, I've become grouchy and selfish; my heart has hardened. When I first arrived here my family would call regularly and send me emails, but now I no longer receive their emails and my dad or grandmother may call 1 time a week if even that much. I feel as though they've forgotten me. On my birthday I cried and cried all day, when my family called I could only cry. It was enough. I was tired of the heat, tired of the ridiculous electricity bills, tired of the huge American roaches, tired of the never-ending highways, tired of the scenery of fast food joints, tired of the bleeding sun that's always there, hanging in the sky, vomiting it's heat and intense brightness, tired of the clay soil staining things with it's alien orange color, tired of everywhere being littered with people packed like sardines in this suffocating big business hellhole, tired, tired tired, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, TIRED.

I miss Pennsylvania, I miss it's moody weather, I miss it's gentle sun, I miss it's painted skies, I miss the delicate hills that cradled those living in the valley, I miss the river that changed as often as a womans temperament, I miss the small town I came from, I miss solitude, I miss the familiar scents in the air, I miss the local customs, I miss the seasons, I miss the chocolate colored soil, I miss the feelings I once had.

Come hell or high water I'm moving back there in 2012. I can't take another year here. I won't take another year here.

I mean no insult to anyone of Texas. I know you love your state dearly and I respect that, but please understand I miss home, just as you would miss Texas if you moved away.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
Alyx_Vance, just move now. Don't wait until 2012. If you really feel as passionately as you write, then just go.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I move every 4-5 years and have found going back a disappointment. Moving on.
So right I moved away and lasted 11 months, I was young immature and my husbands job at the time (cop) was tearing us apart. I moved back and it took me maybe 5 months to hate the place i came from all over again for all the same reasons. Now that I have a kid I esp wanna move to a smaller town with less crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.