Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 PM

296 posts, read 1,249,605 times

Advertisements

Exactly 7 months. I knew I made a mistake the week I moved here, but I was doing a school program and it made no sense to lose out on the tuition. Basically, I sucked it up, planned out my next move, and in two more weeks I shall be free! lol.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM

102 posts, read 180,910 times
My wife and I moved from the Dallas area to Portland, Oregon in '92, just to live somewhere new. Best thing we ever did.

In 2009 after a job loss, we'd convinced ourselves that we should seek pastures new, and since I'd always wanted to see New Mexico again (my family lived in Roswell until I was 8 years old), we decided to move to Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is cool. No complaints from me (well, except for the maniacal driving habits of the Burquenos), but my wife hated it. She felt isolated and her tachycardia was adversely affected by the elevation. Although I had nothing like the difficulty she experienced, I too found myself missing Portland more as the months passed.

We stuck it out for nearly two years but finally packed up and moved back to Portland, where we immediately picked up where we left off. We even moved back into the apartment community we'd left.

We're the sort of people who find it difficult to say "no" to new places, and even now we have a kind of fascination with Minneapolis (!), but it sure feels like Portland is Home for us, and always will be.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Wow! That is amazing. I got the same remarks when I gladly gave up a good paying job to relocate alone without a job to a place where I knew no one. I visited the place twice. I have to give it to you going to a place site unseen. Good luck!
I've been here nearly a week and have a job interview today and love my new city and great apartment (that I found on Craig's List and rented sight unseen as well). I know I will be happy here.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM

144 posts, read 342,241 times
My wife is from South Bend, IN and we met in Indianapolis. After living as a married couple in Indy for a few years she started to get home sick after we had our first son, I relented and agreed to move. That was a huge mistake. Smaller city with fewer opportunities, school system was lacking, always snowed first year we were there it seemed like there was some snowfall each day in winter, and her family was always in some way around us.

Eventually I was able to convince her it wasn't the right place for us, she agreed and we moved back to Indianapolis about 6 months ago. As funny as this sounds I miss the snow and I miss her family being around because they could help us when we needed it. We are likely here for the long haul barring any moves transfers for better jobs through work.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM

281 posts, read 643,415 times
Quote:
Interesting post. I think you should try it if you are looking to improve your job prospects. It is tangible. Things become more complicated when you are searching for the intangibles of life.
Great point! I haven't visited this thread in a while and was glad to read through more posts today and feel even better. Bottom line is this...do what you think is right at the time. If your heart (or your partners heart) is calling out a change and you have the means, go for it. I was so worried about "failing" that I was too afraid to try, which will only result in heartache for sure.

I am giving notice on January 2nd and planning on a move to Dallas in July!!! If it doesn't work out, it just doesn't. And I'll figure out what to do from there.

Congrats ElleTea! That is exciting!

Daboywonder...I completely agree about being close to family. You have more to consider than us kidless folks I was moved clear across the country from my family as a baby during a divorce and didn't get a chance to really visit or get to know my family very well. Now as an adult, my parents are gone, no siblings, and the only family I have that I am somewhat close to is in Texas. If I could do it all over any way I wanted, I would have rather grown up around at least one set of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
I had to move a lot in my late teens and early 20s due to the recession and the difficulties of finding work in Michigan. I can tell you that I was totally miserable in Holt, Bath, and Lake Harrison. These are small areas near Lansing. I also greatly disliked Ypsi (six miles east of Ann Arbor). East Lansing/Lansing was fine and fought to get back to Lansing from there, even those I lived in sub-standard housing. The bus system alone was worth it because Holt and Bath are unliveable without a working vehicle.

I learned a lot from those moves! So when it came time to move to Ohio (for work), I had a much better idea of what to avoid. Nowhere in Ohio that I lived was as bad as the areas I mentioned. There were some awful areas, especially around Toledo, but the early experiences and some research served me well.

At one point, I had an opportunity to either move back to Michigan or come out to Iowa. I'm not dissing Michigan because there are some fine places and nice people there, but I'll never voluntarily live there, again. Des Moines reminds me a lot of the best parts of Lansing before the recession, so I guess in some sense, I've "come home." I was thinking about that yesterday when I was remembering the proper way to drive on a snow pack. In Columbus, they dump CaCl all over everything, so there's more bare pavement in the winter but a snow pack is actually safer than having bare patches that refreeze each night.

I doubt I'll go back East when this chapter of my life ends. Most of my really good friends have retired to warmer areas in the West and South. There's little to call me back to the Great Lakes area.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Wow. Love this thread. I've been here 3 years in my current location; last year was the first year I really didn't have one foot still in my hometown.

Another plot twist though - my son went to college 8 hours away and I doubt he will ever be back here to live. Suddenly, I hear my hometown calling again! Or perhaps just someplace warmer. . .

For now, though, my work is here but . . . keeping my options open. IF I liked my job better; I could put down strong roots here but . . . hmmm.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've been here nearly a week and have a job interview today and love my new city and great apartment (that I found on Craig's List and rented sight unseen as well). I know I will be happy here.
That's great. It just goes to show what is meant to be will be.

I am visiting another prospect. I like it but how do I know it won't be a disaster? I am not ready to go back to my original state.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
That's great. It just goes to show what is meant to be will be.

I am visiting another prospect. I like it but how do I know it won't be a disaster? I am not ready to go back to my original state.
You don't! But sometimes you gotta take a chance! It might be great!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We moved last year from the place I have lived in all my life. I will never move back. I like where we live and I like seeing my grands frequently. I also like seeing my adult children much more frequently. And the physical setting here is quite lovely as are the people who live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues