U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-07-2007, 04:53 PM

338 posts, read 957,427 times
Question How Did You Do It? Relocate/move Far Away

Okay- Our Time Is Coming...my Question Today Is...how Did You Do It? This Is What I Figure Could Happen...my Husband Had A Different Plan...i Go Down In August To Teach, I Take My 1 Daughter And 1 Son Because They Will Be Starting School Too...we Live In A Motel???for Awhile Until I Can Get A House Rented...my Husband And Other Daughter Come Down Soon After...is This How Its Done? I've Never Stayed In A Hotel More Than For A Vacation (week At Most)...my Husband Says As Soon As I Know Where I Am Teaching We Rent A House...how Did You Do It..please Share Any Ideas Or Plans Or Theories...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 PM

4,081 posts, read 10,556,719 times
I have clients who when they are building their house and their previous one sold faster than expected, they took their camp trailer to the KOA Not the ideal choice, but less expensive than a hotel.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,067,695 times
Well sounds like your rushing it. I suggest you as a family go scout out the area.. while there contact the schools and look at getting hired, let them know your relocatating to the area, and are a trained professional teacher. Get the job while there, scout out houses, or apartmets, get something short term.. go home pack and get ready for your move.. cancel your services where you are and pack the UHAUL and move out there.. to your new short term home.. while in the short term look for something more long term.

How I am doing it is this..

I am going to School in Portland OR, they have housing assistance.. and a job lined up for me. So all I have to do is drive up and report in. Kinda like the military lol. I will go up, and a month or two after my kids will be outta school and the family will come up as well. I have that time to locate a house for us, my wife will continue to work back here, and I will work up there and goto school.

Most people contact realitors and have a job before they move.. I beg you not to move out there with the kids and put yourself in a homeless situation.. I have been homeless once its not fun... And the way you discribe this is your husband is trying to get rid of you and the kids. kinda scary.

If you know where you want to move too, call the school districts and get an interview lined up a month or so down the road so you can save up or make better plans to go down get hired and come back home. Get the job first.. then look for a place ot live.. once places know you have a job they are more willing to rent to you. just take it in steps.. dont rush it.

Think about this.. Hotels will drain your cash.. you wont have the money to rent a house/apt. Plan.. Plan.. and then do more Planning. I think you can do it.. just slow down and plan it out. Dont rush it.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,257,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Okay- Our Time Is Coming...my Question Today Is...how Did You Do It? This Is What I Figure Could Happen...my Husband Had A Different Plan...i Go Down In August To Teach, I Take My 1 Daughter And 1 Son Because They Will Be Starting School Too...we Live In A Motel???for Awhile Until I Can Get A House Rented...my Husband And Other Daughter Come Down Soon After...is This How Its Done? I've Never Stayed In A Hotel More Than For A Vacation (week At Most)...my Husband Says As Soon As I Know Where I Am Teaching We Rent A House...how Did You Do It..please Share Any Ideas Or Plans Or Theories...thanks!
Whichever parent has the job secured should go first, without the children, even if it means they must break their school year into parts briefly later. Keep them where they are until you've got a home in the new place. It would be much more stable for them with school, their friends, and their familiar surroundings, plus..one hell of a lot cheaper.
I like the Extended Stay America hotels as they have mini-kitchenettes and they are very friendly and helpful, plus you can have a cat or dog with you.
Only after you've secured your job and rented the house should you move the family to where you are.
Also, you don't say if you are renting a house now or will have to sell a house you own. If you rent, then it's no problem for timing. If you own, the move will likely depend on when you can sell the house and it can take months and months now in this hairy market.
Good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Well sounds like your rushing it. I suggest you as a family go scout out the area.. while there contact the schools and look at getting hired, let them know your relocatating to the area, and are a trained professional teacher. Get the job while there, scout out houses, or apartmets, get something short term.. go home pack and get ready for your move.. cancel your services where you are and pack the UHAUL and move out there.. to your new short term home.. while in the short term look for something more long term.

How I am doing it is this..

I am going to School in Portland OR, they have housing assistance.. and a job lined up for me. So all I have to do is drive up and report in. Kinda like the military lol. I will go up, and a month or two after my kids will be outta school and the family will come up as well. I have that time to locate a house for us, my wife will continue to work back here, and I will work up there and goto school.

Most people contact realitors and have a job before they move.. I beg you not to move out there with the kids and put yourself in a homeless situation.. I have been homeless once its not fun... And the way you discribe this is your husband is trying to get rid of you and the kids. kinda scary.

If you know where you want to move too, call the school districts and get an interview lined up a month or so down the road so you can save up or make better plans to go down get hired and come back home. Get the job first.. then look for a place ot live.. once places know you have a job they are more willing to rent to you. just take it in steps.. dont rush it.

Think about this.. Hotels will drain your cash.. you wont have the money to rent a house/apt. Plan.. Plan.. and then do more Planning. I think you can do it.. just slow down and plan it out. Dont rush it.

Thanks for your reply. I had to laught when you said it sounds like my hubby (19 years) is trying to get rid of us...he'll love that one when I tell him ...sorry to mislead you...we have been planning this move for 3 years now...its just finally coming down to the wire and I was just looking for outside perspectives. Never been homeless...we have 3 houses here in NY- we will sell our primary residence and the other 2 have always been rented out. Fortunate we are...he will come with us-just has to close up the sale of the home here. MoMark- had a good idea...maybe leave the kids home and get myself settled first...thanks for the ideas...

Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,067,695 times
Whew, thats good. I was just scared for you. Good luck on your move.. please let us know how the new area is and if your would recommend it to others.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 AM

I will...I know i check in here once in awhile to see how everyone has done...so I will remember to let everyone know our fate.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM

5,835 posts, read 14,514,394 times
I also would think that renting a hotel room for all that time would be expensive, and the cheaper motels are usually a little gross, in my experience. Any chance you can stay with family? At minimum, I would leave the kids with your husband, rather than have them in a hotel/motel. The school you enroll them in might find it odd that you are living in a hotel, and it might not reflect well if they are considering hiring you. And it might be hard on your kids to first have to explain to their new friends that they are living in a hotel, and then what if you move and they have to switch school districts again?
I was under the impression that schools often start seeking applicants for jobs, to start in the fall, in the springtime. You might want to start sending out resumes this spring and making phone calls, so that by the end of summer you know where you will be working.
Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues