U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,089,459 times

Advertisements

I am moving from GA to CA and I have a prescription that is good for another 6 months. Can I transfer it from one state to another? Or would I need to get a doctor in CA and get a new prescription? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,428,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am moving from GA to CA and I have a prescription that is good for another 6 months. Can I transfer it from one state to another? Or would I need to get a doctor in CA and get a new prescription? TIA
I would take the prescription to my local nationwide pharmacy in GA (Walgreen's, CVS, etc.) and give it to them (you can tell them not to fill it if that applies). Then when you get to CA have your new pharmacy call the GA pharmacy and transfer the rx.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,089,459 times
I already have it at Target. When I asked today about it, I was told it depended on the state laws. How do I find out if it would be OK in CA?

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,428,027 times
Quote:
I already have it at Target. When I asked today about it, I was told it depended on the state laws. How do I find out if it would be OK in CA?
I would ask my Target to call and ask but since they didn't offer already I guess that might not be an option. Plan B I would go to Target.com and do a location search for the Target store with a pharmacy in your new town and give them a phone call. Surely they will know in CA.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM

197 posts, read 397,155 times
I am sorry that you didn't get any help at the pharmacy. I am a technician and transferring a prescription is something we do every day. There are some different laws in different states but I think you still should not have any problems. The best thing to do is just take your prescription bottles into your new pharmacy in CA and they should do all the work for you. Being Target they probably can just do it all electronically and not even have to make any phone calls. But if you are still uneasy about it, take the suggestion to give them a call. And this time I certainly hope that you get the answer that you need

Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 AM

6,270 posts, read 12,499,131 times
I've moved twice in 2 years to different states. Hubby uses CVS and I use WalMart and we had no problems getting our scripts transferred. Pharmacist took care of everything.

Quote:

Old 06-05-2008, 03:06 PM

8,230 posts, read 17,169,496 times
I was in CVS here in WV & a lady cut inline ...ugh! She got uppitty saying her mom needed her meds NOW & She had to get them to the post office. [Like the rest of us didnt need ours!] Turns out mom was om GA visiting & did not take her meds ...DUH! Anyway I told her to tell mom to go to HER nearest CVS in GA & pick them up!! By the time the lady was done arguing it could not be done the pharm had it done!! So there are nice pharm & then there are not so nice ones.

May I suggest if your present pharm will not do this then have your RX transfered to your present nearest CVS...I am sure they will be glad to fill them in your new state.....

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,220,477 times
I agree that if they didn't offer to take care of this for you, they're not a very helpful pharmacy.

Even if they can't be transferred by state law, once you get to CA and find a pharmacist, they should be able to easily call your old doctor and get any needed info.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM

43,177 posts, read 47,049,205 times
I did this transfer when i needed prescriptions im louisna that were at wal-mart in Teaxs .No problem at all.My mother-law had prescrition wrietn by a claifornia doctor and filed there transferred to Txas at wal-mart.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 AM

19,143 posts, read 13,970,368 times
I had my pharmacy mail it to my new location. No problem! Suppose it depends on the pharmacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues