Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times

Advertisements

After much research, I would say that Albuquerque has the "perfect" climate in the US. Warm summers (at times "hot"), cool winters (with cold snaps), and quite dry. Some snow as well. Although Albuquerque and Denver are about the same elevation, Albuquerque does not receive anywhere near the average snowfall Denver gets (10 inches versus 50-60+ inches).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Tahoe or Eastern Oregon.

But for now have you tried a dehumidifier? Maybe if you have a sitting room or something?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I grew up in Montgomery County, MD. I now live in Denver.

You might try Colorado Springs, Pueblo or Santa Fe New Mexico.

We don't have hurricanes, if that is a button to push

Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM

277 posts, read 429,656 times
Flagstaff, AZ is very very dry. Only allergen here is Ponderosa Pine pollen and I don't happen to be allergic to pine so for me it is heaven. Summers average 85 during the day and 55 at night with very little humidity. We get a few rains during July and August.

Winters are like the midwest but milder. Almost every day is above freezing with lots and lots and lots of sunshine. With the high altitude, sun, and days above freezing, snow melts very quickly most of the time.

It is much dryer here than Phoenix and Sedona. I used to play tennis tournaments all over the state and I can tell you that Flag is bone dry compared to much of the rest of the state due to artificial lakes and cannals in Phoenix, and misters at the bars and restaurants which is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. If one moves to Phoenix for DRY HEAT, why add humidity. It is becoming unbearable in Phoenix for me with the humidity, high heat, and valley fever and rest that comes with the humidity and trees people have brought in to that area in the last 30 years.

And of course the air is FRESH here, no pollution and the area is land locked with State land and Forest Service so not much change of industry moving in here.

Draw back ... very expensive to live here.

My hubby and I have considered trying to find a better place to live that is dry and we have not found it yet. If you know, please post, LOL

Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Really anywhere in the Intermountain West is dry. OP, what are your preferences in terms of climate beyond dry? Do you want a state with relatively high taxes but good services, like a lot of the Northeast, or a state with lower taxes but fewer services? (Sorry, better services with lower taxes does not to the best of my knowledge exist...)

Old 06-05-2011, 05:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathkevin9 View Post
Drier climate
I have lived in Rockville, MD for the past nine years. After 15 yrs as a military spouse, i was looking forward to settling in one place. I just wish it wasn't here. I have been out of the workforce for about a year and a half, due to a disability, and now have no social life. I made my friends at work because it seems that in the neighborhoods everyone stays to themselves. My neighbors all wave to each other, but I bet half of them do not even know each others' first names.

We did some renovations on our home last year, and after it was reassessed, our property taxes doubled. Problem is, the value of our home has not doubled.

My physician has recommended that I move to a dry (low humidity) state. Along with Lupus I have Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritus, and Sjogren's syndrome.
During the past week, the humidity has hit full force. This causes inflammation and I hurt everywhere.

Sorry....didn't mean to go on. What I am looking to find is a place to move that has low humidity, but does not get too hot in the summer.
My husband loves it here and refuses to move, so I may be solo, which means a lower income.
Anyone have any suggestions?

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/maryland/reputation.php?p=4019788&do=quickreputation"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]
Hi
I was wondering if you found a dry climate to move to? Has it helped your over all health? I also have health issues and wondering if a dry climate would help.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,017 times
Southern Arizona is dry. I've lived here for 20 years. Some nice places to live are: Tucson, Tubac, Bisbee, Prescott, Sedona. These places don't get overly hot in summer like Phoenix.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,017 times
Well, Tucson can get too hot sometimes in summer, but the mornings are still great.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,824 times
I have progressive multiple sclerosis and also live in Rockville. I am looking for the same kind of climate paired with a city devoted to the arts. I'm presently looking at Santa Fe. I was advised that Albequerque is cheaper and less touristy but, checking their temperatures, they seem to run into the 90s in the summer. My nervous system totally freaks out above 85.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:32 PM

277 posts, read 429,656 times
Flagstaff is cool in summer but has winters, but is bone dry - Santa Barbara CA is perfect but ... expensive. Sedona is nice 10 months out of the year but hot during July and August (and some years June). Sedona and Flagstaff are NOT mecas of culture, but Santa Barbara is. Directly north of SA is nice climate as well as long as you are on the coast line. Also, east of the Rockies the humidity is miserable. West of the Rockies in SouthWest is much drier.

If you would consider Chile a lot of their coastal area is similar to CA with cool Pacific streams to keep temperature cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues