U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:47 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,176,656 times

Advertisements

Hmm I'm relocating & doing an extended stay type thing however with taxes it is almost $5K/month so it can get very expensive needless to say. I am not getting a relocation package for various reasons b/c technically a commute could happen but God knows if I'd ever actually get to work on time b/c traffic would be a nightmare & completely unpredictable with this being the worst time of year to do that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM

25,665 posts, read 24,271,037 times
My dad had a civil service job when we were kids so we moved a lot. Most of the moves were partially paid since they transferred us but we usually lived in hotels for a couple of weeks, or till we could find a place that he could afford and had decent schools.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,877,353 times
When moving to Chicago, we simply came up for a couple of day about 6 weeks prior to the move armed with apartment guides and craigslist ads and found a place we like that was available on our move in date.

I would say that with airfare and two night's hotel, this cost us about $500 - far cheaper than moving up here and staying at a dog-friendly hotel until we found a place we could move into.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,479,693 times
Google cheap motels for where ever you are going to. You may even be able to negotiate a more favorable rate. I once found a corporate apt in San Antontio using one of those booklets you get in the dispensers on the pavement in various cities.

Check our craigs list and see if there are any alternative arrangements you can come up with............

Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM

129 posts, read 517,636 times
Post your ad (or read other's) in the "housing wanted" section of the nearest metropolitan city you are near. CL often does not cover small cities, but lumps them in with the nearest big town. Best of luck, I'm trying to figure this question out myself...

Old 07-07-2008, 06:56 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,627,821 times
When I relocated, my employer paid for up to 2 house-hunting trips. As I had already been here many times, it only took me a half day to find an apartment. I was lucky. I knew the area at least a little, knew where I was going to be working, knew the general boundary of where I wanted to live to make my commute short and simple-and came on my trip with a list of the dozen or so places I was considering.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,281,643 times
If you move in May or June, you can go on to Criagslist and find summer sublets from college students that are going home for the summer and are looking for somebody to cover the rent those months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues