Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 PM

149 posts, read 454,334 times

Advertisements

I moved on Memorial Day to a brand new city where I knew nobody. I've had a ton of fun, but outside of work folks (which based on the nature of my work I don't see often), I haven't met anybody. I've gone out to the bars for a beer or two almost every night. I've gone to festivals, etc. I haven't eaten a single meal in my apartment.

I know three weeks is too soon to expect to have a life built, but I'm trying to figure out what a good baseline is on establising a social network. Anyone with experience moving to a new city able to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
Two years. I moved from Salem, Oregon to Escondido, California. It was difficult. California is its own entity, much different from Oregon. I was ready to move back after six months. I had people tell me that it takes two years to become fully acclimated to a new city.

I was fortunate. I had visitors literally every month for two years, so I was always entertaining someone. That helped the time go by. Then, after the two years were up, I moved to Huntington Beach. I started meeting people in my apartment complex, I started attending a church down the street and got involved there. I thrived for six more years before returning to Oregon--because I was sick of California.

It is possible. I fully believe that the two year schedule is true. You need to wash off the old city and try on the new, see how it fits, take it in here, let it out there. Decided what you like and avoid what you don't.

Bars are not the way to go. If you're not into church, there's other things--work-related functions, civic groups, etc. What are you interested in? You have to get creative and take a real hard look at your life, what you want and how you're going to get it.

You can do it. Good luck!!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,394 times
It really depends where you are in life.

I have moved 4 times in the past 8 years, and for me, it takes no time at all to find my nitch. However, that's because I am a stay at home mom to three little boys, and all I have to do is find my fellow mommy people - at the park, book store, library, swim lessons, preschool, soccer, pool, etc. - and I'm golden!

I am a people collector, and have no problem striking up a converstaion and exchanging numbers- my husband teases me that I pick up women way better than he ever did - so in no time, I get myself plugged in.

I guess you just have to find out where your people are - and go there.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
Volunteer to do something you are interested in.. Working with animals, hospitals, nursing homes, at schools... anyplace that need people to help out. Find groups to join, find a church that has groups you could join.

Many years ago when I got my divorce I joined a group called parents without partners. Had been married for so long I had no friends of my own and married people just don't want you around when you are suddenly single. I found PWP and made many, many long time friends there. Through those people I met other people.

I recently moved to a area where I didn't know anybody and started volunteering and have met people through my volunteer work. You just have to put yourself out there where you can meet people, you can't meet them sitting at home.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguymike View Post
I moved on Memorial Day to a brand new city where I knew nobody. I've had a ton of fun, but outside of work folks (which based on the nature of my work I don't see often), I haven't met anybody. I've gone out to the bars for a beer or two almost every night. I've gone to festivals, etc. I haven't eaten a single meal in my apartment.

I know three weeks is too soon to expect to have a life built, but I'm trying to figure out what a good baseline is on establising a social network. Anyone with experience moving to a new city able to share?
It may depend on the city, but in Boston about 4-5 months- I found the people friendly, it takes time, the Public Garden in summer, people may stop and talk, coffee shoppes, etc...I would give it time and just try new things- where I am living now is so isolated I cant wait to be in a big city again!.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
I think anything less than 6 months is not giving the new city a fair shake. Have you tried Real groups make a real difference - Meetup.com ? Most major cities have this and whatever your interests are, I am sure you can find a group to join. Check it out!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
You just have to put yourself out there where you can meet people, you can't meet them sitting at home.
I think if you read the OP post you can see he is not sitting at home He is out there trying to meet people, ie: going to festivals, going out for a beer every night, eating dinner out every night...

Old 06-26-2008, 07:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Beside just "going out" be sure to "get involved"...

like one post mentioned, volunteer... find what you enjoy doing and find a couple of groups/clubs/organizations that are in that arena and volunteer for them...

in Omaha the Chamber of Commerce actually has a Young Professionals organization for the very purpose of connecting people in a social network, check out those type of options in your town.

if you play any sport look for an adult league and get on a team.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,243 times
1st off - do you have any hobbies?

Bowling, Golf'in, Sport car show off / car shows?

I'm into Mountain Biking and I meet two great people just riding and joining them on the trails. We almost hook up every weekend, which is the ONLY time I got anyways.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble finding friends, but I think bars in general is not a good place to start (unless your trying to pickup a dude or a gal / however you swing).

Friends are dime a dozen, then you have acquaintances and last "users".

My closest friends that I can trust 98% of the time are in differnt states, so all my co-buddies; I consider them as acquaintances (as we're cool, but don't expect to borrow money and never pay me back ).

Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,919 times
Are you religious, join a church? What are your hobbies? Get involved with some groups or leagues. Coworkers?
I've been lucky, even though I'm far from "home" I have my family with me. I'm a sahm but meet my new friends at school with the kids, where I work out, church, the library, etc....
Good luck! It would be hard to make a move all alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues