U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,444,032 times

Advertisements

I am having a professional moving co. do our move from Colorado to Oregon. Right now, the quote I have, basically comes with the basic, bottom line, $0.60 per pound insurance. My moving rep., who also happens to be my uncle, tells me this is all I need. However, I'm not totally convinced. There are several options to choose from, one is a $500 deductible, one a $250 deductible, and the other a $0 deductable. They range in price from $175-$400 in addition to the move. Does anyone have an informed opinion as to whether one of these options is worth it or not? We do not have a lot of high dollar items, but in general our furniture and other belongings are fairly new. It would certainly cost us well over the total move price to replace everything if something happened. The items I am most concerned about would be our LCD TV, furniture, and Grandma's china. Would you risk it with the basic $.60 coverage, or go with the pricier insurance? We are moving in 4 days, so I need to let the mover know fairly quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 PM

3,859 posts, read 6,869,991 times
Delta07, the key question is, "can you replace those items with the .60 per pound if something goes wrong?" I got the extra insurance and rested easy. If you feel like damaged goods can't be repaired or replaced the the basic, get the extra.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 AM

415 posts, read 1,502,024 times
Check with your homeowner's insurance. Either at the old house or the new house. Some policies have provisions (or you can add a rider) which would cover the move.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:25 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,656,370 times
I used to work in the moving industry. Remember, if you were to utilize your homeowner's insurance policy, that results in an increase in your rates. Insurance companies especially nowadays are truly loathe to pay for anything and if you have a claim, it's a black mark on your record.

I think the peace of mind is worth the extra couple hundred dollars. You need to remember, that packed items must show outside signs of visible damage--unless they were packed by the mover. If you packed them, and something breaks without outside signs of damage, you're SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues