U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 47,947 times

Advertisements

I live in San Diego and have just accepted a job in western Massachusetts. I will have to drive across the country in mid-July in order to get to MA by late July. I am going to San Francisco to pick up a friend who agreed to travel with me (yeah!), and we are driving from San Francisco to western Massachusetts (and after dropping off stuff, then to NYC for a fun weekend before my job starts and she flies back to CA).

I am alloting 8-9 days to drive this distance, and would like any advice offered about the quest (routes, how long, scenic stuff, quirky diners, etc.). I drove from MD to CA straight on I-80 when moving out here, and didnt stop alot to see the sights, so i would like to have more fun on this trip without spending too much money.

Recommendations??? (especially routes & length of drive). I am driving a Saturn Ion without towing anything, so i am not dealing with a uhaul or anything, just two fun chicas who find humor in anything.

Gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM

294 posts, read 982,288 times
We recently moved from San Francisco to Ct and did it in 8 days, it was a long drive but we managed to see alot of things along the way.

We drove from San Francisco through Lake Tahoe passed Reno then onto Salt Lake City then up to Yellowstone National Park then stopped in Cody WY, then Rapid City to see Mt Rushmore, then on to Minneapolis for 'Mall of America' and didn't really stop much until we got to New York State then onto CT.

The Good: Lake Tahoe
Salt Lake City
Yellowstone (wow that place is unbelievable)
route 14 from rapid city east, over the Bighorns
Mall of America

The Bad: Nevada (very boring)
Bighorns( 10,000 feet) felt like i was running out of oxygen!

Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,164,684 times
The above post mentioned some very nice scenic areas that would not be too far out of your way. If you have never been to Yellowstone, I would make the drive up, visit Jackson Hole, head north along the Tetons into Yellowstone and out the Cody exit. Being you are moving to the east coast you probably will never take the time to see this national wonder.

Mt Rushmore is also worth the time to see it. Mall of America, yea its ok, being two fun chicas as you put it you would probably like it. It is pushing your travel route north more and adding time. Possibly instead, if you are into museums, Chicago has some great ones and other hot spots as well I am sure you would enjoy.

From there I can't help much with eastern US, never been there much.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,423,590 times
I would try to hit Yellowstone National Park for sure. If you go to foodnetwork and look for Guy's diners and dives there is a list of places featured on his show. This may seem odd, but I would pack something to clean your windshield with. Somewhere in corn valley I had so many bug hits that I could not see (literally) out the windshield and had to drive for miles with my head out the window until I finally found a station. Keep an eye on the weather channel too as some of the country has fierce weather. Torrential rain that you have to pull over for because the wipers on high are like they are not even on. Hail that will make your hood look like someone attacked it with a ball-peen hammer etc.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:17 PM

57,963 posts, read 40,690,914 times
I'll second atlmburns' vote for Lake Tahoe, beautiful place!

If you're a music fan I wouldn't miss stopping in a few Chicago blues clubs and museum wise the Chicago Art Institute is well worth a stop. And NYC? You might want more than a weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues