U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,940,817 times

Advertisements

We are going through this exact same thing! My husband just accepted a job in Va. We own our home here in Ga and haven't even listed it yet. Right now he is in NC for some training so he had to go up to Roanoke (where we'll be moving) for business yesterday. I had him meet up with an agent and he looked at some houses I'd been researching. He found issues with every single on of them, ack! I am curious what he would have thought about them if I had been there to see them with him. So right now we are no where closer to finding a home than we were a month ago. Good luck to you guys!
Editing to add that I haven't even been to Va yet. The kids and I will make a trip up in a couple of weeks I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,870,338 times
My husband bought our second home with me seeing it.

I just had just has our second child, and was back in Vermont with a newborn and a 21 month old, while he went down to PA on a whirlwind house hunt.

I will say that he did great! I had researched school districts and towns before he went down, and we went with new construction since you really can't go wrong.

I don't think he liked having so much pressure on him, but he really did good!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 PM

896 posts, read 3,922,945 times
My husband has picked the last three houses we've lived in and although they haven't been the BEST decisions, they've worked out fine. I've made him go back and take pictures of each room, take down the measurements and tell me where the closets are.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:14 AM

65 posts, read 182,323 times
As another person said it is a lot of pressure I know that. He has already said that he thinks i will spent the rest of the year complaining about the house he picked out. He did explain it and I could have said no. I think he got confused as in a few days he looked at a lot of places. I know as a Mom that if I had done that I could tell you about every house. He moves in on Tueadsy and I think he will be able to talk about it more. Someone was still in the house and was there when he was seeing it. It was kind of a mess because they were packing and all of that. I mean this is a man that when he goes and buys me a present for whatever gets the same thing all the time. For awhile I could not understand why he kept buying me keychains

Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 AM

896 posts, read 3,922,945 times
I think it'll work out fine. The concept of moving your kids and all the logistics is so overwhelming and not having a say in the home you're moving to adds to the stress. I always TRY to look at it as "it's only for a year." Yes - it's a pain in the a(* to move in a year again (I've moved three times in two years and it's not that bad--just very inconvenient). And if you spend the next year complaining about the house he picked, "OH WELL!"--that's just the way it is. I am really picky about flooring and the kitchen--the rental we're living in (that I didn't pick) has WHITE carpet and doesn't have an eat-in kitchen so for the last year, my four children have terrorized this white carpet and almost all the carpet in the dining room is ruined--there's only so much you can do with four children under the age of six eating and spilling food and drinks on the floor.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,872,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan4 View Post
Anyway has anyone else had to have their husbands pick out there home to relocate and what was your experience as a women after you saw it.
Oh, yeah.
Like others in this thread, my husband picked out, and we bought, the home we are now living in without me having ever seen it.

I did pick out the neighborhood, having visited here before. He emailed me lots of pictures, and the one of the rooms was not quite finished when we moved in, so we were able to work on that room together.

It worked out. There are a few things I wish I could change, but I am mostly very happy.
Again, as others have said, I am so glad to put down roots and not move again.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM

365 posts, read 629,091 times
Quote:
Anyway has anyone else had to have their husbands pick out there home to relocate and what was your experience as a women after you saw it.
Oh yes! A few times I've had my husband go before me in relocating. I think he did a pretty darn good job!
I figure if the place "doesn't work for me" we can always find something else after I get there...but in each case, he was mindful of what we would need...
Hope you get everything worked out allright!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:14 PM

134 posts, read 396,329 times
Default WHat about Renting a condo or an apartment?

Have you thought about renting a condo or something while you yourself look for a home. That is what we are doing. I would have died if my husband would have gotten to come down here and pick a place for us to live without me!

Check out Craigs List. I found a beautiful 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath condo that is furnished that looks brand new on the inside, the furniture looks like it's brand new and very modern, granite counter tops in the kitchen and bathrooms. The owners of this condo were trying to sell it, but the area hasn't been getting alot of hits, so they decided to rent it to us just to get them some money coming in for it. While my house is on the market in another state we will live down here in the condo and I will find us a house. While my husband works each day, the kids and I check out communities in the area that are possibilities. I narrowed down my search by schools ranked the highest in the area before I picked a condo location to make it easier on myself.

I hope this helps a little.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 182,323 times
We already rented a home a few days ago. We can't live in a apartment or condo that would be connected to anyone else. My kids are too loud. As I said two of my kids have sensory issues. My 6 year old flips, spins and jumps all the time. He also needs room to play outside and the ones I did look into the yards were very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues