Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 02:09 PM

65 posts, read 211,257 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Michigan to the North Carolina right on the Virginia border in the Hampton road area. My husband is there and will return for the move in 3 weeks. He will drive the moving truck and I will drive our van. Our kids are 15, 6, 5, 18 months. The last three are adopted and two have sensory issues and car riding isn't happy for them . Well the baby more than my 6 year old now. We have a DVD PLAYER in the van which helps. It most likley will be a 13 hour trip possibly longer. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should just leave at night and hope the kids sleep instead of leaving and getting there at night and then trying to set beds up. Any good tips others have done to get from one place to another and live to tell about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,149 times
I've done an eight hour drive with a packed van, 3 kids, and a cat all by myself for a move. (Hubby was already there) After the movers left and I finished cleaning, it was so late that we just went to hotel in the first town. That turned out really well. We all got some needed rest and the kids are less antsy in the mornings. We also stayed in a hotel at the new location because the moving van wasn't going to be there for another day.

I would suggest leaving right after breakfast. Plan on stops every few hours to eat and stretch legs. If you can, use the internet to plan stops ahead of time that have playgrounds near where you can get food. Also, if you can, reserve a hotel room for the new town. Everybody will be exhausted, especially you. Let the kids play in the pool before bed and get a good nights sleep. Then you can get a fresh start on the unpacking in morning. Moving is stressful enough with kids. Take breaks when and where you can.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
In addition to bringing their favorite movies, buy some new ones that they've never seen. Pick up some episodes of their fav shows on DVD. My kid's new fav for the car is Pippi Longstocking. I didn't think they'd like it, but trapped in a car, they loved it and just about wore it out.

We usually left early in the morning (like 2am) when the kids were younger. They would be awake for awhile, excited enough to want to watch movies, then they'd nap and wake around breakfast time (usually a Denny's). 2 more movies then lunch (rest area picnic usually). Two more movies and at least one more potty break, and you're there!

Pre pack snacks in individual bags and don't forget juice boxes and water. I usually kept them in a bag at my feet in front, then pass them back. Now that they're older, (5 and 8) I give them each a large ziploc filled with the snacks they are allowed to have that day as we pull out of the driveway. Once the snacks are gone, that's it for the day.

In addition to the movies, each child has a small plastic tote that they put toys, crayons (packs of 5) and coloring books into and the tote sits next to each child.

Be sure to empty the car of any trash at each stop, or it will get out of hand.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:28 AM

65 posts, read 211,257 times
I had thought of the hotel thing but are last three are adopted and our 18 month old doesn't sleep away from her space. I know she is going to have a hard adjustment in a new home but she will have her bed and all of that. When we are gone for the day she won't sleep. She might if we drive at night we never have been gone that long. She is in her own room now. She and my 6 year old they have no clock for sleeping. She would drive us nuts in a hotel because she has to be by herself and in a space or she won;t sllep. You can't even open her bedroom door and she wakes up. She and my 6 year old both have sensory issues. Although the DVD player is great.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:13 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
There are little travel games that you can buy for the purpose of long drives. Do any of them have a little game boy or PSP? Also, you could make a game, and have them record all of the specific color cars, specific license plates, farms...or whatever, that they see until you stop, and then name a winner for the most.....

Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM

152 posts, read 469,895 times
When we go on vacation with a long drive we always leave at night. My four kids (11, 6, 5, and 2) sleep most of the way and I enjoy the peace and quiet.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM

365 posts, read 692,427 times
When my husband and I traveled with our children, we would opt for the night driving if at all possible. The kids usually slept all the way. However, when we drove during the day, we didn't have the options to watch movies, but we would play games...Slug bug (see who could find the most VW's on the trip, first) and the liscense plate game...who can find the most state's...Texas, Wa, New York...givng them a reason to look out the window and enjoy the ride! And yes, when you make stops, look for places where they can get out and stretch and run around a bit, along a river or park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues